RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Announcements and News > Community Announcements and News

Community Announcements and News - Announcements and News of interest to the entire RadioReference/Broadcastify Community. All new threads posted here will be moderated by the administrators. *** Please post regional and manufacturer specific news in the appropriate regional or manufacturer forum. Thanks. ***

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2016, 7:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I posted the above post from a Japanese search engine called "Goo." For those of you who do not know, I am a 80% retired physician (age 67) who now translates biomedical patents from Japanese to English. I have been certified by the Japanese government at the highest level of proficiency (Japan Language Proficiency Test Level 1) since 2006. I have been translating professionally since 1998 and am usually booked up for weeks or months. I use Japanese search engines daily in my work (home based). So what I am writing is not using Google translate.
Anyway, to put the price issue to rest, I searched for R8600 and 値段. The Japanese in English script reads "nedan" which means price. The above Japanese was posted by someone who asked an ICOM rep about when the receiver would start selling and the price. .
また発売開始 時期は未定、実勢価格は20万円台が目標との説明があった. This Japanese says that the "start of sales is still unknown, but the target market (retail) price is about 200,000 yen (20 man yen, man = 10,000 is used instead of 1000 in Japan for most purposes).
At the current yen - dollar rate of about 103 yen to a dollar, 200,000 = $1941. So there you have it, a price point of about 200,000 yen in Japan, so I assume somewhere about $2000 dollars here in the US. The 台 (dai) in Japanese literally means level, and suggests that Japanese miight expect a range of 20 to 24 man yen = $2000-2400.
I have been to Japan 15 or 16 times and always go to Akihabara, which is a section of Tokyo know for its electronics stores and unlike anything you will ever see here or in Europe.
The prices lately in Japan are pretty much what you can buy radios here for. In fact, they may be a bit cheaper here with our nationwide competition, which in Japan, really is pretty centralized.
BTW: ICOM also coming out with a new IC-7610 as successor to the IC-7600. These are all SDR radios similar to the IC-7300. I will continue to monitor the Japanese web sites for further information.
Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2016, 7:19 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Later on that same website, the same person commented that the ICOM rep still did not have a start date or suggested price yet for the IC-R30.
Old 08-31-2016, 7:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

AOR AR-DV1 SDRデジタルボイスレシーバー
価格: ¥ 149,800
AOR AR-DV1 wideband communications receiver
by AOR$1,219.00
The above is a posting from Amazon Japan site. The AR-DV1 going for 149,800 yen, = $1453.
Here you can see that this is about $230 dollars higher than the Amazon website we all use.
So perhaps based on this, the IC-R8600 might indeed be a bit less here in the US. This is a pretty typical price differential between US and Japan for radio equipment.
Old 08-31-2016, 7:35 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

BTW: The AOR $1219 is the Amazon.com site price we all check for prices here in US.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:06 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hello,

Thanks for the information.

This looks like an interesting receiver with interesting I/O possibilities. Some seem to be from the R-9500. I do wonder if some of features require options, like LAN or I/Q output. A lot of questions should be answered when the manual gets released.

I noticed the IC-7300 does not have I/Q output. I do have a receiver, an AR-Alpha, that also has separate I/Q and control USB ports. I wrote an EXTIO dll for the Alpha and it was neat being able to use HDSDR and other SDR programs on the PC. The I/Q bandwidth on the Alpha is 1 MHz.

Hopefully Icom will either provide an EXTIO dll or release specifications so one can be written.

73 Eric
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2016, 4:22 AM

This is great news, keen as to get a R30
Old 09-04-2016, 10:27 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Check out the pre-release PDF found here:
Icom IC-7610, IC-R8600, IC-R30 and ID-51 PLUS2 models Shown at Tokyo Ham Fair 2016 - Icom News - Icom UK

The back panel shows a "10.7MHz IF" output jack, a USB based "I/Q output" jack, an "AF/IF" (I assume discriminator) output jack, a USB connector (I assume for remote control or SD card mounting) and an Ethernet jack, CI-V control jack and the standard set of audio connectors. Looks loaded with connectivity options.

I am really looking forward to the release of this radio.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:20 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Bagmouse7
Nice find of the PDF. I'm also looking forward to release of the R8600 and R30,
Old 09-17-2016, 8:34 AM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hello,

ICOM America has the R-8600 receiver on their website. "Available early 2017".
IC-R8600 Wideband Receiver - Features - Icom America

No information on the ICOM Global site or anything on the R-30 on either site.

73 Eric
Sponsored links
Old 09-17-2016, 11:02 AM
Founder and CEO
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Hopefully this will be an extendable platform that can be a basis for lots of feature upgrades as we progress through the years.

Icom's treatment of the R-9500 was pretty disappointing - I felt there were some opportunities for improvement via firmware upgrades for this radio that never happened.
Old 09-17-2016, 2:27 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by blantonl View Post
Hopefully this will be an extendable platform that can be a basis for lots of feature upgrades as we progress through the years.

Icom's treatment of the R-9500 was pretty disappointing - I felt there were some opportunities for improvement via firmware upgrades for this radio that never happened.
Hello,

I am interested in how the R-8600 compares to the higher priced R-9500 and AOR Alpha. Hopefully ICOM will add DMR.

73 Eric
Old 09-17-2016, 6:38 PM

I am shortly going to contact my local Icom dealer to get my name down for an R30 once they are released.
Old 11-02-2016, 5:30 PM

There's still a decent market for models like this, in countries that aren't using the latest greatest digital whatever... but still need to do monitoring.
Old 11-07-2016, 7:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatanchor View Post
More super expensive and impractical bling from Icom.

Why Icom still invests millions of dollars developing new mid-high tier hardware defined receivers when SDR is taking over the world by storm, is beyond me.

I doubt that Icom have made any profit from any of their receivers for the last ten years or more.

Sure, they will sell a few to gullible enthusiasts who buy them for their collections, but even Government users are now embracing SDR because of its almost unlimited flexibility.

Yaesu and Kenwood realized there was no ROI in making these things years ago.
Of course that is your opinion, from your point of view, and not actually factual. There are plenty of us more traditional operators out here who very much prefer a radio with knobs and lights and things. I am old enough to have been lucky enough to build my own radios from vacuum tubes when I was a child.Yes, they glowed in the dark, and I spent many a cold winters night in the garage making contacts while the family watched TV.

I don't know why you would call me a 'gullible enthusiast'? Because my opinion differs with yours, or what? Fact is I don't think I am gullible, nor an enthusiast. I like Icom radios and just can't see the ling between that and what you called me.

Icom is a publiclly held corporation trading on the Tokyo Stock Exchange with more than 14,000,000 shares outstanding. You also need to remember that Icom manufacturer and distibutes product worldwide to meet the needs of many more markets than just the Ham radio. Also, they don't design any radios just for the ham radio market. They design and produce radios that will fill multiple roles in various markets so that the cost per unit drops substantially. Just remove a capacitor here or a resistor there and viola you have a radio that will be useful in many roles. I once modified my ham handheld and made it a great Marine band radio too.

I, for one, am not going to declare that I know more than a multi-million dollar world-wide business with more than 1,000 employees and countless sub-contractors. You can if you want to, and people will respect your right to voice your opinion, but, maybe not the opinion itself.
Old 12-04-2016, 1:52 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I am looking forward to the R30. The R6 is a great radio. I hope that the R30 is not another failed attempt like the R7 was.
Sponsored links
Old 12-04-2016, 6:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

How about an Rx-only version of the IC-7300? If the IC-7300 is $1,400, then an R7300 could be under a grand? I'd be interested in that. Oops, wait, maybe I did an apples and oranges comparison. Want HF to at least 1.3 GHz... Surely someone can build a wideband SDR for under a grand besides the AOR DV1?
Old 12-21-2016, 12:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_lonny View Post
I am shortly going to contact my local Icom dealer to get my name down for an R30 once they are released.

Did that with HRO on the R8600. It is all dependent on the final pricing for the R8600.

--
Mike
Old 12-22-2016, 4:08 AM

Thumbs down No DMR?

I cant understand why it has NXDN and dPMR but no DMR?

This point alone will not turn customers away but just not make them interested in the first place.
Old 01-26-2017, 6:08 AM

Default IC-R30 P25 phase 1 and phase 2 and Trunking?

Hello to the group. I am new to scanning and my next scanner will be my first.

I enjoy listening to HF Shortwave Radio Stations on my Ten Tec Radio at home. Though I would also like something that is portable that I may take away on holidays to our caravan park cabin by the sea.

I was thinking of purchasing a UNIDEN UBCD-325PT Trunking Scanner to listen to local emergency services on P25, phase 1 and phase 2. At home and by the sea side holiday getaway.

I face a bit of a conundrum.

1. Do I purchase the UBCD-325PT?

2. Do I purchase the IC-R30?

3. Do I purchase a Sangean 909x?

4. Do I purchase a Commradio CTX-10?

I am hoping that the IC-R30 will be the answer to my dreams and all my needs could be handled by one radio purchase. Though it does not do Trunking, or as far as we know. I must say I do not understand Trunking and do not know if I will be missing out on anything? How do you listen to a Trunking radio please?

Or would I be better off purchasing a UBCD-325PT and a Sangean 909x or a yet to be released Commradio CTX-10?

Thank you for your time reading this far.

Warm regards,

Mitch.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:16 PM

I was wondering if Icom could utilize the same screens , cases, parts etc. from their Transceivers to keep costs down on a Receiver with a touch screen in the $500 to $800 range.

Was I dreaming or what ?

After doing so much on my Androids ( not as a Receiver - I use Hardware Eton E1 )...I do
not feel like using a mouse again - welcome to the 90's- haha.
But a SW/LW / VHF etc etc with a touchscreen Computer or Tablet with all those Bands and Bandwidth/ Filters/ AGC/
RF Gain etc etc and tweaking while DXing sounds really interesting and fun..

Of course SDRs will advance much like Pro Audio Recording Software- I don't even think other than a few Mobile for Film Digital Recorders- that anyone makes Hardware Digital Multitrack Recorders any more- it's all Computers.

But when SDRs have touchscreen on Computers , like the Android versions but better audio etc- much more tempting.

Seems like Computer Recording and probably SDRs always have growing pains getting them to work properly...drivers etc etc.

That's what is so cool about Hardware- it just works.

Last edited by Robertkoa; 02-01-2017 at 11:22 PM..