ICOM set to release the IC-R8600 (console/base) and the IC-R30 (Mobile)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Exciting news from ICOM - some updates to their top line receivers!

Pics attached.

We don't know anything more but if you know further details, please let us know by responding below.

Attachments

• IC-R8600.jpeg
    IC-R8600.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 17,433
  • IC-R8600_2.jpg
    IC-R8600_2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 17,975

osros

Feed Provider
First pic looks like receiver only version of IC-7300 if so that would be nice I have it, a nice unit add more memories, receiver only features and a down to earth price should be a winner. The 8600 love it but a dream for my wallet.

Boatanchor

More super expensive and impractical bling from Icom.

Why Icom still invests millions of dollars developing new mid-high tier hardware defined receivers when SDR is taking over the world by storm, is beyond me.

I doubt that Icom have made any profit from any of their receivers for the last ten years or more.

Sure, they will sell a few to gullible enthusiasts who buy them for their collections, but even Government users are now embracing SDR because of its almost unlimited flexibility.

Yaesu and Kenwood realized there was no ROI in making these things years ago.

kruser

Premium Subscriber

Why Icom still invests millions of dollars developing new mid-high tier hardware defined receivers when SDR is taking over the world by storm, is beyond me.

I doubt that Icom have made any profit from any of their receivers for the last ten years or more.

Sure, they will sell a few to gullible enthusiasts who buy them for their collections, but even Government users are now embracing SDR because of its almost unlimited flexibility.

I do agree with the SDR type radios but there is something about a radio with dials and knobs that you can turn instead of doing it with a computer!
I use both and both have their good and bad points but I do enjoy seeing Icom still developing a normal radio.

Knowing Icom, there will be no trunking support but maybe with 3rd party software as can be done with their R2500 line although not as well as a dedicated scanner. Then the R1500 and R2500 are full of blocked holes thanks to the FCC AMPS band restrictions.

Icom's receivers are usually superior to any scanner though.
I still use my R7000 and R9000. Those radios are virtually immune to overload or desense compared to any scanner made.
Of course they are old now and lack a lot of basic features like simple PL/DPL decoding but they are great for pulling in signals that most scanners cannot even detect in a high RF environment.

It would be nice if Icom could make an SDR radio that can also be controlled from the radios front panel if desired.

Hopefully someone will find the specs on these new models and of course the cost.

Thanks for posting the findings Lindsay!

flythunderbird

Feed Provider

It wouldn't surprise me if the IC-8600 is an SDR receiver like the IC-7300. We'll find out soon ...

kruser

Premium Subscriber
It wouldn't surprise me if the IC-8600 is an SDR receiver like the IC-7300. We'll find out soon ...

I tend to agree with that. They are just giving you manual controls so you can run the thing without a computer.

If the front end is as good or better than some of their older professional receivers, it may very well be a great radio if the price is not out of control.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
As others have stated, if the IC-R8600 is based on the IC-7300, then it is an SDR. Perhaps you should read the literature and test reports on the IC-7300 to get an idea of what it's all about.

I doubt that you know the inner workings of Icom's business (I don't either). If they weren't making a profit from their receivers, I doubt that they would continue to build and sell them.

Thus leaving the market to Icom.

Comp-100

Very interesting. As mentioned, it most likely is an SDR or SDR hybird.
It covers 10khz to 3Ghz and has digital decode for several protocols such as P25, NXDN, DSTAR and others. Also has I/Q output so it would be directly compatible with several computer based decoders.

If the price is right, it looks great.

TDR-94

Here is a better picture of the IC-R30 mock-up. It will supposedly simultaneously RX either analog+analog or analog+digital ,similar to the R20 dual watch.

Attachments

• icr30a.jpg
    icr30a.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 18,540

Comp-100

IC-30 looks like a cell phone from the 90's 😂😂😂

Glad to see Icom still going to make recievers
Not to worry it's just a mockup and Icom generally has good looking stuff. It is likely to be a bit big and chunky, but a wideband handheld SDR receiver and maybe builtin terminal support like some transceivers sounds pretty good to me. Even if it does not have trunking it may have a lot of people plagued by simulcast issues jumping for joy.

osros

Feed Provider
It is nice to see a new desktop receiver, when it looked like they where dying. I read mention of a $2000 price for the 8600 from someone who talked to Icom at the show but no confirmation. Pricey but doable for the serious hobbyist, depends on the all the features and capabilities really.

From Universal radio:
The IC-R8600 covers 0.01-3000 MHz (less cellular) in analog and several digital modes (D-STAR, P25, NXDN and dPMR). It has a large 4.3 inch touch screen display with spectrum scope and waterfall display.

The rear panel features multiple antenna inputs, 10.7 MHz IF Output, LAN jack, Mute Line, and USB.

If the receiver will suporrt other SDR control software and tools, even better.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
IC-30 looks like a cell phone from the 90's 😂😂😂

Hah! Yes, it sure does. :lol:

Like folks have mentioned, hopefully these are SDR receivers all packaged up with an outer base/handheld "shell".

Icom makes some good stuff -- glad they are staying in the game.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
This better be the "whizz bang" receiver of the 21st century. I for one am absolutely thrilled with my SDR's, the Airspy, Airspy Mini, and NetSDR with VHF/UHF adapter (by far the most expensive of the bunch). They work superbly in conjunction with DSD+, afford for viewing several MHz of spectrum at once, and are likely far cheaper than this receiver. I know there's an argument for superior reception from a high quality standalone receiver but for those of us not doing intricate signal measurement does it really make THAT much of a difference?

There is always a soft spot in my radio hobby heart for Icom receivers though, that said, and I still have an old IC-R7100 in my radio rack for auxiliary purposes. My Airspy outperforms it though when connected to the same antenna via a Stridsberg multicoupler.

MStep

Price Will Be The Key

The key to the success of the new IC-R8600 will likely be the price. AOR is a year ahead of them in the game of an SDR digital receiver with the AOR DV1 at appx $1,300 USD (granted, without all the bells and whistles of the new Icom 8600), and Uniden has broken through the DMR barrier with their flagship 426 and 536 receivers.

Yes, it is a very pretty waterfall display, but I doubt that it will come anywhere near the R9500 in terms of analog operation. Likely closer to the Icom 8500, which the 8600 will presumably supersede. One question which comes to mind is that if it comes it at the same price range of the 8500, has anything been sacrificed in the quality of SW reception in order to provide the additional digital modes and the extended frequency coverage?

So many questions, but so early in the game. I guess we'll know more when additional information becomes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.