DMR and ProVoice Added to BCD996P2 and BCD325P2 Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uniden is pleased to announce the addition of support for Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) and EDACS ProVoice decoding for two additional more models, further cementing Unidens position as the leading scanner manufacturer worldwide.

Digital Mobile Radio is used on thousands of systems worldwide. This $60 paid upgrade allows existing and future owners of the BCD996P2 and BCD325P2 scanners to easily add support for monitoring DMR, MotoTRBO Connect Plus, MotoTRBO Capacity Plus, and DMR Tier 3 systems.

ProVoice systems are used by several major agencies in the United States. This $50 paid upgrade allows people who live in one of these areas to easily add support for monitoring all unencrypted comms on these systems.
More Info and Details here:

DigitalMobileRadioUpgradeforBCDxxxP2 < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

sfd119

I love it. All the nay sayers for the last year on this scanner have been proven wrong.

Legitimate question though, can you transfer a DMR license from a 536 to the 996? I would use a 996HP2 more than my 536 for DMR.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I love it. All the nay sayers for the last year on this scanner have been proven wrong.

Legitimate question though, can you transfer a DMR license from a 536 to the 996? I would use a 996HP2 more than my 536 for DMR.

No, the created key to unlock the software is linked to the radio's serial number.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
This is what I like to hear. Wasn't a fan of the HP series. Thanks Uniden! I'm sure NXDN is in the works. :)

allend

Premium Subscriber
$60 for DMR? No thanks

Either way if you go with Whistler you still are going to get charged for the DMR and NXDN. It's just built into the price of the radio.

But the good thing with the Uniden radios its an add on for each modulation. I added the DMR to my BCD536HP radio and will add the NXDN when the bugs are worked out and Uniden is really prepared to release their firmware upgrade.

I have 3 BCD996P2 radios and there is no point on adding DMR and NXDN to those radios. Just a waste of money for multiple Uniden Radios. I will just add NXDN to the BCD536HP and be done and have access to DMR and NXDN on 1 radio.

The rest of the radios will just stay as the work horses in the shack

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I'm in....

I'm gonna add DMR to my 996P2. I got it at such a great price that even with the $60 price, I'm not doing too bad. My question now is, can the P2 capable of being upgraded to NXDN?

Manny

Last edited:

ASE

I don't think it is fair that we should pay for a firmware update we downloaded. So far BCd996p2 has the other system types in it like Motorola, LTR, Edacs and P25. How come we have to pay money for this upgrade? Will there be another firmware update and we will not have to pay $60.00?

swatpup102

Premium Subscriber
This is great news! I've been wishing I had the DMR option locally on my 996P2 and frustrated that it wasn't available. It's like Christmas come early for me! (except that I have to pay more for it now... oh well)

bigbirdburtek

Premium Subscriber
Uniden firmware upgrade for DMR

Since I'm hearing that NXDN is also on the way, I'm going to delay upgrading my scanner until I can add both DMR and NXDN in one upgrade.

Why pay twice ?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Since I'm hearing that NXDN is also on the way, I'm going to delay upgrading my scanner until I can add both DMR and NXDN in one upgrade.

Why pay twice ?

If Uniden offers the NXDN upgrade, you will need to purchase a separate license for each upgrade.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I don't think it is fair that we should pay for a firmware update we downloaded. So far BCd996p2 has the other system types in it like Motorola, LTR, Edacs and P25. How come we have to pay money for this upgrade? Will there be another firmware update and we will not have to pay $60.00?

Open your eyes. The price you paid for your 996 was based on the development cost of the scanner. Uniden has now sunk more cost into developing additional features to the unit they have already sold- which was a couple of years ago, including (from what I read) buying licenses for ProVoice and DMR.

They are a business, trying to keep us as customers, as well as earn money (as any business is supposed to do).

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

Let me try my hand at sarcasm:

"I don't think it is fair that we should pay for a scanner we purchased. How come we have to pay money for this scanner? Will there be other scanners we can purchase for free?"

Manufacturing costs plus R&D on the DMR & Provoice upgrades means Uniden has to recoup costs.

Marshall KE4ZNR

RRR

Premium Subscriber
People keep saying "The price of DMR and NXDN is built into the price of the radio" referring to Whistler, but just even a brief search shows Whistler TRX-1's in several places being the same as, or lower than the newest Uniden handheld scanner (minus the DMR/NXDN updates)

So yes, you DO pay more for those "updates" and Whistlers ARE "free"

Status
Not open for further replies.