RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Announcements and News > Community Announcements and News

Community Announcements and News - Announcements and News of interest to the entire RadioReference/Broadcastify Community. All new threads posted here will be moderated by the administrators. *** Please post regional and manufacturer specific news in the appropriate regional or manufacturer forum. Thanks. ***

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2017, 8:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Red face

Or when SAC was moving minuteman 11 and 111 missile warheads (RVs) between their bases and their silos. As I recall there was a lot of jamming going on then in certain areas where it was considered appropriate.
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2017, 2:13 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4JUG View Post
You make a great point. I don't think they allow cell phone jamming in correctional institutions either.
When phone jammers were developed, and marketed to movie theaters, the FCC said interfering with a licensed service is illegal.

Sent via Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2017, 7:38 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I actually made something similar for my college senior project, with off the shelf parts from Ramsey and Radio Shack.

I used a tone encoder, decoder, FM transmitter from Ramsey and an recordable audio chip from Radio Shack. The Transmitter sent a tone encoded signal to the receiver that had the corresponding decode setting (PL tones basically...) to trip a set of relays that would switch the actual speaker wire lines so that no matter what volume level or source, the speakers got driven by the "emergency vehicle alert system". This was back in the early 2000's. We actually had these rigged up in my truck and my project partners car and tested it on the open road...made a little video and everything. I was a volunteer fireman in college so there was a personal experience with people being oblivious to the world surrounding them. Maybe we towed the line a bit with the FM bands, but it was an easily accessible way to have a transmitter/receiver, and we were thinking of what was nearly common in every newer vehicle as far as a way to retrofit a kit to existing cars.

Think i still have some parts in a junk drawer somewhere!
Old 01-28-2017, 10:29 AM

What the heck does it matter? With self driving cars the next "thing", I'm sure they will automatically pull over and give way.
Old 01-30-2017, 2:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

As a former firefighter I can understand about people not pulling over for the "winkies & blikies" and the "screamers" be if the ambulance is transmitting a jamming signal, my biggest concern would be missing important details about the call I'm responding to.
Morganfield, KY
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2017, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0GMP View Post
Or when SAC was moving minuteman 11 and 111 missile warheads (RVs) between their bases and their silos. As I recall there was a lot of jamming going on then in certain areas where it was considered appropriate.
Someone said that when the military was moving a covered "disc shaped object" through California and Nevada, all cell phones. laptops and tablets in the vicinity were inoperative!!
Old 01-31-2017, 9:06 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Jamming opens the door to a number of issues that cannot be painted with a broad brush.

The movie theater situation was that theater owners wanted to silence phones for a more enjoyable patron experience. It also removed the ability for patrons to call 9-1-1 for fires, people who started to choke or had a heart attack, or active shooter situations. Most people think access in those situations is higher priority than patron "experience." That's like locking the panic bars on the doors with a chain link and padlock, but modern managers and marketing graduates wouldn't think like that. I'm sure that when those things are presented to the theater's lawyers and insurance people from that perspective, they will run in circles and scream. The path to least resistance there is to do nothing to facilitate cellular in the theaters, and active resistance might be to use attenuative construction techniques (which might then require a public safety bi-directional amplifier to overcome).

Jamming in a jail or prison is controlling illicit communication from contraband. The jail is a controlled area where the authority having jurisdiction is responsible for the safety of all within their charge, so people don't "need" cellular coverage like they might in a theater. The fact is that there are much better devices now that can "see" the contraband and surgically target it that jamming is impractical. Improperly installed (face it, everything in the public sector is done by "low bid" contractors), it would spill out into the street. The lowest bid device would also affect the adjoining 700 and 800 MHz bands disrupting public safety communication if those frequencies were used within the region.

Jamming because of a dignitary visit or movement of a recovered flying saucer (or whatever that thing is) is done in a controlled area for a number of different reasons from disrupting remote control to maybe controlling rumors.

Broadcast radio preemption would have been "nifty" 30 years ago, but it's unimpressive today. There are better technologies on the horizon.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:07 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 902 View Post
Jamming opens the door to a number of issues that cannot be painted with a broad brush.
I understand all that, but the FCC was specific in that the device would be interfering with a licensed service. (A Part 15 device, especially.)

Sent via Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2017, 2:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
I understand all that, but the FCC was specific in that the device would be interfering with a licensed service. (A Part 15 device, especially.)

Sent via Tapatalk
Sure, but the takeaway probably should be that the federal government does not report to the FCC and is otherwise exempt, particularly for national defense. A theater, jail, prison (with the exception of a federal prison) is not.

The federal government's use of communications systems (interestingly including the FCC's VHF repeaters and HF networks) falls within the purview of the NTIA, which is under the Executive Branch under the Department of Commerce.
Old 01-31-2017, 3:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4bas View Post
As a former firefighter I can understand about people not pulling over for the "winkies & blikies" and the "screamers" be if the ambulance is transmitting a jamming signal, my biggest concern would be missing important details about the call I'm responding to.
From a former cop:

There's no reason for not pulling over, period. The law doesn't exempt "winkies & blikies."
Old 01-31-2017, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpaceMann View Post
Someone said that when the military was moving a covered "disc shaped object" through California and Nevada, all cell phones. laptops and tablets in the vicinity were inoperative!!
So you believe in a magical laptop disabling signal?
Old 01-31-2017, 8:48 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Just because the tooth fairy has an purse emp device doesn't mean the army has it yet.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
The jail is a controlled area where the authority having jurisdiction is responsible for the safety of all within their charge, so people don't "need" cellular coverage like they might in a theater. The fact is that there are much better devices now that can "see" the contraband and surgically target it that jamming is impractical.
lol and everyone who live around the Jail dont need cell coverage to?
The best way is to install in BTS/ IMSI Catcher who is the most powered "Tower" there an who catch all calls so the can monitor everything.
In my mind the best way to sneak some info into a prison is a short wave radio.

Ok Analog Radio... how about DAB+? Its not that easy to jamm it. And Analog Radio Station are that Strong it would be very hard to jam.
Old 02-20-2017, 4:45 PM

There are K9's now trained to sniff out cell phones, basically sniff for lithium batteries
Old 02-20-2017, 5:23 PM

why the do this?
Sponsored links
Old 02-20-2017, 6:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_account View Post
why the do this?
Inmates in correctional institutions
Old 03-07-2017, 6:48 PM

Thumbs down radio

Only one problem,nobody listens to FM radio,so this wont work in NJ/NYC,USA. Everyone uses their phone,or mp3 player so why even bother at this point,a louder siren perhaps........