US Army to modernise existing CONUS land mobile radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm

Even if DOD specifies the system design, with Motorola involved in it I can see this morphing into 2 systems which are close but just not close enough for 100% interop comms.

Motorola will slip in some proprietary feature that will make the Harris end of the system choke.

jim202

Even if DOD specifies the system design, with Motorola involved in it I can see this morphing into 2 systems which are close but just not close enough for 100% interop comms.

Motorola will slip in some proprietary feature that will make the Harris end of the system choke.

That all depends on how well the spec for the systems are put down on paper. The P25 standard today is really an open standard that all companies are required to have. Also with the new DHS mandate regarding encryption, this closes another pocket that Motorola liked to use to keep others out with.

Time will tell what comes out of this. Harris and Tait are well versed on the tricks that Motorola takes to force non functional operation. So I would expect to really see the fur fly if any tricks are played with this.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
The system that I manage has no issues with either Harris or Motorola. It is all Harris infrastructure and a mixture of Harris and Motorola subscriber units. It replaced an old single site OBT Type II system and works extremely well. The new system covers several states that are all interconnected and incorporates strapped encryption for every talkgroup. As another poster mentioned, Harris and Motorola work well with each other as long as everything is put down on paper that you do not want proprietary options.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
US Army LMR

Systems are already liked at some facilities,
Think US Navy
Same thing, open source

gadepp

DoD Land Mobile

No matter how systems should be created, how well they would inter-operate, the problem is no input is EVER utilized if even asked of those who are actually relying on its use. It is always what is close to good and that is what is selected. $ always the utmost concern, not how effective and reliable it is. I have found even with open source type radios, the quality of the radio is quite obvious when using the system.

radioshane

US army

No matter how systems should be created, how well they would inter-operate, the problem is no input is EVER utilized if even asked of those who are actually relying on its use. It is always what is close to good and that is what is selected. $ always the utmost concern, not how effective and reliable it is. I have found even with open source type radios, the quality of the radio is quite obvious when using the system.

Is conus moniterable?

jparks29

John McClane
It depends on which system. Every talkgroup on the system that I manage is strapped for encryption. Other DoD systems aren't managed as tight. Our system covers several bases on the East coast.

Ain't that the truth...

Over on the We(s)t side...MPs aren't encrypted (except TAC channels), but the VA housekeepers are.... Yup, candy striper = encrypted but MP = in the clear.... Range control is also encrypted on occasion...

Status
Not open for further replies.