Hytera LTD sues Motorola Solutions over anti-competitive action claims

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Irvine, Calif. -- December 4, 2017) Hytera Communications Corporation Ltd. today filed suit in federal district court in New Jersey against Chicago, Ill.-based Motorola Solutions, Inc., alleging that Motorola Solutions is engaging in anticompetitive practices that are unlawful under the Sherman and Clayton Acts by deliberately and actively foreclosing competition in land mobile radio (LMR) communications systems, in order to reap billions of dollars on sales at inflated prices to US customers.

https://www.hytera.us/news/global-l...ce-us-customers-to-pay-a-surcharge-for-safety

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Yeah have mixed reactions to these lawsuits.. Motorola does own the copywrights to software
and should be normally protected but they have gouged the US customers to no end. $5000 radios that do way less than the average cellphone.
However Hytera copying formats even with good intentions though I doubt that is there purpose,
is not ethical either.
Sort of like Bill Gates and Microsoft copying from Apple,Xerox,Netscape etc in the early days..
Once the flood gates are open they are hard to close.
Kind of like patenting the automobile tire.. I smell a out of court settlement sometime down the road.

Last edited:

Mr_Boh

Also mixed. I think my bigger issue is this is another US vs China issue. I don’t want to set the precedent that it’s ok for China to have flagrant disregard for U.S. patents making U.S. companies uncompetitive overseas.

But I’m with you. What’s made DMR so great is the competitiveness driving prices down.

jim202

First let me say I am not trying to change the focus of this discussion, but the actions of the different, large radio vendors have had the effect over the years of pushing some other companies into the dust of history. We have lost Link, RCA and a few others. They just didn't have the money to stand up to the big boys when the pushing turned into shoving.

Some really well designed radios from these companies made their place in the history of radio. but the chips fell the wrong way and we no longer have the companies with us any more. The big bullies won out.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
First let me say I am not trying to change the focus of this discussion, but the actions of the different, large radio vendors have had the effect over the years of pushing some other companies into the dust of history. We have lost Link, RCA and a few others. They just didn't have the money to stand up to the big boys when the pushing turned into shoving.

Some really well designed radios from these companies made their place in the history of radio. but the chips fell the wrong way and we no longer have the companies with us any more. The big bullies won out.

That's a bit of stretch. Take RCA for example, started in 1919 as a wholly owned subsidiary of General Electric. Galvin Manufacturing didn't even incorporate until 1928. In the long run it comes down to business decisions being the reason radio manufacturers have either gone away or stayed.

lmrtek

'if you can't beat em, BUY em!"
Motorola was on the ropes a few years back because Kenwood, Icom, And Vertex was killing them in sales because of lower priced feature packed radios that sold for a fraction of the price.
And their biggest threat was Vertex so they bought em out.
GE EDACS was a FAR superior trunking system but Motorola shops used pay offs and bid rigging to get the contracts.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy

Motorola was on the ropes a few years back because Kenwood, Icom, And Vertex was killing them in sales because of lower priced feature packed radios that sold for a fraction of the price.

GE EDACS was a FAR superior trunking system but Motorola shops used pay offs and bid rigging to get the contracts.

IIRC, Motorola had an order to fill for 100W low band radios and only had the CDM line at the time. They acquired Vertex to relabel the VX-6000 as the PM1200 instead of take the time for R&D for a XTL brick in low band.

EDACS May have been better, but overall GE’s support services were rather poor (primary issue with Harris today). There is a MSS or MR in every major town, the only real GE/Harris shop is the regional distributor in many instances. Made building out Smartnet much more practical outside of the municipal systems…there is no third party support when you have a structure lacking local, independent shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamhere300

According to the VP of Services, Western, at the time, Vertex was never "killing" Motorola in sales, and to think that is ludicrous. The issue was, Vertex was available, and Motorola wanted a lower price line to fight Icom, Kenwood, etc. Remember, the money is in systems and the ancillary equipment, not under 1k subscriber units.

Now, changes in the relationship between Motorola and the former Vertex dealers is about to sour some more.

iamhere300

Mork

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what impact this has on the thread....

Anyways, who is the radio vendor of choice still today for FDNY and NYPD?

yeah, that is right. Motorola

I suppose if the Moto worshippers read how big M contributed to the deaths of 343 FF and medics, they might think twice about awarding contracts written such that no other company could fulfill the terms. Personally I hope Hytera LTD prevails.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber

RFI-EMI-GUY

That would be correct. The copyright was purchased and Thousands were burned in two incinerators that ran for months non stop.
Rumor has it, some guy checked one copy out from his local university library and was mugged on his way home by two guys in black suits wearing dark sunglasses and radio earpieces.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
Rumor has it, some guy checked one copy out from his local university library and was mugged on his way home by two guys in black suits wearing dark sunglasses and radio earpieces.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

That was just Jake and Elwood Blues

(I'm sorry, but your description made me do it)

Status
Not open for further replies.