Anti-encryption Bill Introduced In Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbwareham

Premium Subscriber
A Colorado State Representative has introduced a bill to outlaw blanket encryption by state and local government entities. HB18-1061 was introduced on the opening day of the 2018 legislative session by Representative Kevin van Winkle, (R). The bill seeks to strike a balance between government transparency and the public's right to monitor the activities of their public agencies with the legitimate needs of law enforcement to conduct confidential investigations and tactical operations. The bill also creates a criminal penalty for those who intentionally monitor such communications to further a criminal enterprise, avoid arrest or detection, or escape capture.

The bill was drafted with the input and assistance of Colorado lawyer and monitoring enthusiast/ham radio operator Robert B. Wareham, NØESQ. Residents of Colorado are encourage to contact their state representatives and senators and encourage them to co-sponsor or otherwise support the bill.

https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/hb18-1061

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I like how it distinguishes between dispatch and tactical/investigative radio traffic.

12dbsinad

"Officer safety" will be the 2 words that will ring like a Christmas carol in December.

CorwinScansNM

Now if we can get bill going in each state, that would be great.

THREE WORDS FOR THAT! Hooray, yes & please. Good job Colorado!! Makes me want to move there even more than before if it actually happens. It will bring back the scanner listening / public safety scanner monitoring hobby back for some living in Colorado & hopefully in the future, for all or most states including New Mexico where I live. Encryption is being used in New Mexico because when my digital scanner lands on a encrypted frequency or frequencies, it will always be silent & show in the top left corner (ENC).

My digital public safety scanner that I paid good money for has become increasingly quiet & pretty much worthless especially in the 165-174 Mhz Federal range due to encrypted communications used by Federal agencies such as forestry which is mainly what I always monitored & had intentions of always listening to for my own concern & safety due to extreme fire danger in my local forest that is just 100 feet from my home.

D

DaveNF2G

Congress could resolve the whole mess nationwide. Radio communications fall under "interstate commerce" so they can preempt all of the state laws about it if they want to.

jasonhouk

Congress could resolve the whole mess nationwide. Radio communications fall under "interstate commerce" so they can preempt all of the state laws about it if they want to.
Very doubtful that'd ever happen with a Republican majority.

We've given the mainstream media something other to talk about on a daily basis besides police brutality and excessive force.

J

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
"Officer safety" will be the 2 words that will ring like a Christmas carol in December.

History has shown time after time that FEAR is the most effective tool for controlling and manipulating the public. Individuals and groups will agree to to give up freedoms and do other things that they would never have imagined they would do because of it.

We will have to see how this plays out.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
So Colorado will get to hear dispatchers saying, "Unit xxx, please check your terminal" or "See attached notes" and "Unit xxx has self-dispatched to the call on Main Street"

Forcing the issue and taking the option of encryption away isn't going to stop them from giving us nothing to listen to, unfortunately.

scanmanmi

This is fantastic. The only way it will pass is with lots of public support. Please contact your local rep. I do not live in CO but I emailed him. I think we MUST come together and create a petition drive. Has this done before or is anyone working on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.