Westell Modem Startech Ethernet Install

Do you connect Ubuntu through Ethernet

• I use Ubuntu Desktop with WiFi Adaptor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

williambuell

I just spent a LONG LONG TIME typing this post into your forum and it disappeared. SO, I am composing it first in my BLOG so that it will NOT disappear.

I use Verizon DSL with a Westell 327W Router. I have one Dell Windows XP hard wired to the router, and second XP connected via WiFi with a Belkin USB adapter.

I want to take a 3rd computer, an Ubuntu desktop install, and use a startec.com ST100S 10/100 mbps Ethernet PCI, which claims to have a Linux driver.

BIG QUESTION: If I do succeed in attaching the Ubuntu Desktop through the startech ethernet, is there any danger that the Westell modem will somehow be reset or reconfigured or disturbed so that I lose Internet and have to wait for a Verizon technician to show up and fix things. IF there IS such a danger, then I will go with wifi for the Ubuntu desktop.

N0IU

I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but I have a Westell DSL modem from my ISP (not Verizon) and a dual boot PC (Vista and Ubuntu). The PC is hard wired to a Linksys wireless router which is wired to the modem. When I loaded Ubuntu, I didn't have to do anything unusual to get it to connect to my local network or to the Internet.

shaft

BIG QUESTION: If I do succeed in attaching the Ubuntu Desktop through the startech ethernet, is there any danger that the Westell modem will somehow be reset or reconfigured or disturbed so that I lose Internet and have to wait for a Verizon technician to show up and fix things. IF there IS such a danger, then I will go with wifi for the Ubuntu desktop.

No, one has nothing to do with the other as they are two separate devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.