Computer won't stay connected to wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I'm running a remote computer with 3 audio feeds on them. I can only get the computer to stay connected to the wireless router for about a day, sometimes two days. Once it drops the connection it will never re-connect and requires a power cycle and will work for a day or two more. I have disabled any power saving settings and have the wifi card setup to connect when router is in range. The computer is running XP. Looking for any other ideas to fix my problem???

Thanks,

Tim

Last edited:

CapStar362

sounds like the router is on the road out.....(bad) do you have another router around to test that it is in fact a bad router?

have you updated and/or refreshed the firmware?

timkilbride

Database Admin
sounds like the router is on the road out.....(bad) do you have another router around to test that it is in fact a bad router?

have you updated and/or refreshed the firmware?

This setup is at my dads house and I have asked him if he is having any problems. He runs two computers and claims to have no issues with connectivity. I have not did any firmware updating.

Tim

CapStar362

well the thing is, the LAN (Ethernet) Ports may be running fine, but the radio may be going out which is not a uncommon thing.

sometimes refreshing the firmware will fix this, as they do sometimes get corrupted.

goto the maker of the router and check for firmware updates, then log into the router itself and follow the instructions for updating the firmware.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
You might try changing the channel of the wireless router. Sometimes I will have had connection problems and changing the channel will clear this up, especially if the wireless is on its default channel. It could take a couple of tries if you live in an area with lots of wifi floating around.

Mike

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

timkilbride said:
I'm running a remote computer with 3 audio feeds on them. I can only get the computer to stay connected to the wireless router for about a day, sometimes two days. Once it drops the connection it will never re-connect and requires a power cycle and will work for a day or two more. I have disabled any power saving settings and have the wifi card setup to connect when router is in range. The computer is running XP. Looking for any other ideas to fix my problem???

Thanks,

Tim

Check your wireless transmiter I had this problem also and changed the wifi transmiter and it fixed the problem......

CapStar362

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Check your wireless transmiter I had this problem also and changed the wifi transmiter and it fixed the problem......

what do you mean change the transmitter?

timkilbride

Database Admin
I ended up running a CAT5 cable from the router to the computer. The site is almost 4 hours away and I don't have the time to be driving back and fourth.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Tim

CapStar362

Amped Wireless - just released a Smartphone based WiFi catcher

just goto play store and type in Amped Wireless.

and they have some great high power routers and repeaters. i have a Gigibit router and a repeater from them and my entire 4500 Sq ft house and 1 1/4 acre yard is covered with 3/5 at minimum bars of wifi at any spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.