Router interference on scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

I have a Cisco Valet wireless router that is interfering with my BCD536HP. It makes a loud high pitched background noise. Have to up the squelch to #3 to eliminate it but when a signal breaks the squelch the noise is still there. Anyone have this problem? I tried moving the router a few feet away but the problem still exists. Anyone have a solution?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Ferrite beads on the leads, as needed. Unplug them one at a time, and see which cable(s) have the interfering signal.

Sent from Tapatalk

FeedForward

Check the router manual and see what frequency it is using; temporarily hook up the router with cables to eliminate the transmitted signal. Evaluate.

FF

brandon

Database Admin
Shielded Cat6 will solve your problem. I re-wired all of my stuff with it a few years ago and the high pitched whining noise on HF and VHF Low is completely gone. I bought it from Monoprice for pretty cheap.

Moose

Sorry for the delay getting back to everyone's suggestions. Been busy with a sick dog and haven't had a chance to reply. At work now but will go at it this weekend. Will update on what works for me. Thanks

cg

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest that you also check the power supply for the router as it may be the culprit. Find another wall wart that matches voltage and polarity and try that.

I relocated all my computers and internet equipment 15' or more from my scanners. Extension USB cable, monitor cable, sound and microphone cables. Cut down quite a bit on interference.

chris

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have read numerous post on RR over the years, regarding this problem. It's odd, as I have never experienced interference from any routers. I've owned Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, and currently a Motorola. Same goes with computers and monitors, never a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.