Upgrading to Windows 10 is inevitable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The handwriting is on the LCD! Upgrading to Windows 10 is inevitable!

More, and more, maintaining Windows 7 is becoming more and more difficult! Picking and choosing which Windows 7 updates to install or block is becoming a crap shoot, due to lack of proper documentation from Microsoft. Many of the pending updates are critical security bug fixes that we don't install out of fear of hosing up our systems with Windows 10 related patches, etc. Others sneak in Windows 10 upgrade attempts without warning. you can no longer enable Automatic Window's Updates, as you have no control.

Searching for Windows 7 updates has become unbearably slow! Downloading them has also become even slower. Doing a fresh-clean Windows 7 has become a two-day undertaking, by the time you download and install all the updates. Windows 7 is a quagmire of fixes, updates, patches, etc. and when you're done, you never feel confident you got it right. I think is part of Microsoft's strategy, to motivate users and corporate to upgrade. I can't imagine corporate IT will be able continue to devote the time and resources to keep Widows 7 operating smoothly!

You have to install a plethora of aftermarket utilities, and applications, just to make it run right, and attempt to protect your system from viruses and malware, and covert Windows 10 upgrade attempts etc. Of course all theses running in the background clash with each other, and take a hit on system performance and stability.

When I was young, I used to love the game, take on the challenge. Now that I'm a grumpy old man, I don't have the patience for it.

Last edited:

toastycookies

I can't imagine corporate IT will be able continue to devote the time and resources to keep Widows 7 operating smoothly!

The corporate world (and myself) use the Enterprise version of Windows.

These things to not happen in these versions.

There was not even a free upgrade option from windows 7 to windows 10 enterprise, at least I never saw one.

I did upgrade to Windows 10 in the end though. I do not see any advantage to stay with windows 7 myself.

Blackink

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I ran GWX over a year ago on all seven of my Win7x64 computers. I'll not switch to Win10 unless someone literally holds a gun to my head. Seriously.

Many of the software packages I use daily will not run under Win10 no matter what, so it's a non-starter in my home.

Besides, what IDIOT at MS thought it would be a "Great Idea" to remove CD/DVD support? :mad:

NC1

I will start using Linux before I go to Win 10.
Ubuntu was good but I did not take the time to learn it, but it's now time to start before my current computer becomes impossible to use.
The best part about Linux is that it's free, and there is tons of free support from users and developers. And I can use the old laptop I have stored in the closet because the software is not a memory hog.

captncarp

Upgrading to Windows 10

Bought a Acer with 10 installed. I hated it. Back it went after a thirty day trial. Like using a computer game for simple things.
I had already started using a Chromebook for most on line time. My Apple was already gathering dust.
Keep a old 7 around for old files that I occasionally want to go into but that is it.
I'm done with Windows.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I haven't experienced any problems with CD/DDVD, or even Blu-ray support. I have a DELL T7810 Workstation with a LG Blu-reay player, works perfect. I also have and HP Z400 workstation with two DVD burners, both work just fine. All were recognized during the WIndows 10 upgrade and did not require installing any special drivers or software of any kind.

QDP2012

I'm familiar with GWX Control Panel. The only problems it doesn't assist as to what Windows 7 updates, to download and install, or to block.

Other threads in this forum discuss the multiple specific updates (by number) to avoid/hide to prevent Win10 from downloading/installing. Some comments suggest that Windows will "unexpectedly" re-enable the "unselected" updates and try to install them anyway. From what I can tell, running GWX Control Panel in "Monitor Mode" (as a background service) seems to prevent them from being downloaded.

Hope this helps,

nd5y

Other threads in this forum discuss the multiple specific updates (by number) to avoid/hide to prevent Win10 from downloading/installing. Some comments suggest that Windows will "unexpectedly" re-enable the "unselected" updates and try to install them anyway. From what I can tell, running GWX Control Panel in "Monitor Mode" (as a background service) seems to prevent them from being downloaded.

Before I found GWX Control Panel I had the updates reenable themselvs and start downloading Windows 10 several times. I used GWX in stand-alone mode, and have not installed it. I noticed that the Windows 10 critical updates got installed, but they didn't do anything after that and don't creat the download folder in C:\Windows any more after I had GWX delete everything.
I ran GWX and GRC's Never10 after the monthly updates the past few months and they both show Windows 10 upgrade is disabled.

Last edited:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Depends on your life expectancy, lol. I'm old enough, and in poor enough health, that I might not have to experience such a monstrosity, lol.

At sixty-seven, I'm in the same category... Win7 will probably outlive me! :lol:

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I have been avoiding the MANDATORY download of win10 on my pc. it allows me to say I need more time and reschedule. my main reason for not doing it is my scanners. i am afraid win500 and freescan will not work anymore without finding new drivers and all that. anyone have experience with these two programs and windows10? maybe i fear this for nothing.

Blackink

Thats what i did was downloaded to a usb stick and it has not bothered me any more,and if i want to install it at an later time i can......

Can anyone else verify this???

This would be great to know if in fact, downloading Windows 10 onto a flash drive would stop the nagging it throws upon us now?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.