Laptop for Dual Boot Linux and Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealthradios

I am looking to get a new laptop. What is a good one that will allow you to setup a dual boot system for Ubuntu Linux and Windows 10?

I know that Toshiba laptop computers can't be setup for Linux, been there, done that, got burned with it.

I have an HP Pavilion laptop and I can't seem to get it to boot off a thumb drive. I have not tried setting it up for dual boot yet. Another question, can Ubuntu be installed on new HP laptops as baremetal (meaning the computers only operating system)? I've done older HP towers in Ubuntu baremetal but not a newer one.

KK4TTR

I like my Chromebook with Linux installed via crouton, if you're technically inclined :p

Use it for Java programming and HF digital modes.

We've ditched windoze in our household, with the single exception of my work laptop, which my employer owns.

stealthradios

Thanks for that link, a quick look at it was interesting.

Back a few years ago I tired installing Ubuntu on a Toshiba laptop that I bought for that sole purpose. At that time I did a lot of internet searching and everyone was having a problem installing linux on Toshiba's, here's one link I found from back in the day:
Solved: Why doesn't Toshiba support Linux? - TOSHIBA FORUMS

After trying potential solutions on many websites I still couldn't get it to work. Therefore I decided to never buy Toshiba again. I love them for windows but way too many hoops to jump through to run linux that is when I switched to HP. I still have that bad Toshiba taste in my mouth so I won't buy a Toshiba.

What are you running Linux on? I'm looking for new laptop that I can either get dual boot working or at least Ubuntu installed as the only operating system.

stealthradios

I like my Chromebook with Linux installed via crouton, if you're technically inclined :p

Use it for Java programming and HF digital modes.

We've ditched windoze in our household, with the single exception of my work laptop, which my employer owns.

I could also use VMWARE which I already do. I am looking to run a laptop bare-metal. Don't want to have to relay VMWARE, CROUTON or any other software to deal with hardware interfacing.

Kb2Jpd

Who is "them"? Toshiba or Chome(google)?

System76 makes laptops with Linux fully installed and ready to run.

I use several Macbook Pros and Macbook Airs. The MacBook Pro are being discontinued and have all of the ports you need. It can still be upgraded RAM wise and you can install two ssds by removing the dvdwriter.

My suggestion is one with i7 and install the largest SSD you can afford. I have a i7 Air with a 1G SSD use it for everything.

It's a buyers market now so look around. I even picked up a Chromebook Pixel on eBay for a quarter of the price and it is awesome with a touchscreen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stealthradios

System76 makes laptops with Linux fully installed and ready to run.

I use several Macbook Pros and Macbook Airs. The MacBook Pro are being discontinued and have all of the ports you need. It can still be upgraded RAM wise and you can install two ssds by removing the dvdwriter.

My suggestion is one with i7 and install the largest SSD you can afford. I have a i7 Air with a 1G SSD use it for everything.

It's a buyers market now so look around. I even picked up a Chromebook Pixel on eBay for a quarter of the price and it is awesome with a touchscreen.

While these are all good machines they are pretty expensive.

You can go to Staples, Office Depot, BestBuy or even Walmart and get new laptops with harddisks for less than $400.

I was looking for advise on what cheap (but new) laptops to get that installing dualboot linux/win10 is easy. I know Toshiba is not the easiest to deal with. but what about HP's laptops. I just got a new HP Pavilion laptop, 500G disk, 8G ram at Office Depot for $320. Been using it for 2 months running Win 10. Excellent machine for the price. But I'm scared to turn it into a dual boot. If I know it would work i'd just go buy another one..

Kb2Jpd

You can go to Staples, Office Depot, BestBuy or even Walmart and get new laptops with harddisks for less than $400.

I was looking for advise on what cheap (but new) laptops to get that installing dualboot linux/win10 is easy. I know Toshiba is not the easiest to deal with. but what about HP's laptops. I just got a new HP Pavilion laptop, 500G disk, 8G ram at Office Depot for $320. Been using it for 2 months running Win 10. Excellent machine for the price. But I'm scared to turn it into a dual boot. If I know it would work i'd just go buy another one..

You haven't been shopping. If you want cheap, you will get cheap. If you think I have a deep wallet, you're wrong. I shop exhaustedly for the best price. Reconditioned MBPs can be had for a song and if Apple refurbished, they come with new batterys and new cases.

When MacBooks get discontinued, the price drops dramatically. The MacBook Pro can be had for just a few dollars more. They can run on MacOS, Windows or Linux since it is an Intel machine. Their hardware reliability is exceptional and the Pro can be updated to SSD. Once that is done, it boots very quickly.

Otherwise, look at Panasonic Toughbooks or Lenovo Thinkpads. They are solid and rugged. I see them used all the time for programming radios and they are constructed great.

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber

I live by you get what you pay for. So I am not afraid to spend some money up front for a machine that will last me.

Stay away from graphic switching (if you are going cheap that won't be an issue). The only real second choice I can give is a Thinkpad. Everything else is a crap shoot in the dark. Some might work some may not. It comes down to hardware and most manufacturers don't build computers with Linux in mind. System76 does build systems with Linux in mind and mine ran every distribution I have thrown at it and it can run Windows as well.

My opinion is this. Why take a shot in the dark? You play the Linux compatibility lottery, you may lose and be stuck with something that don't work with Linux. Your call, but I have spend days on end trying to get my wireless card working or fooling with BIOS or trying to get X working. Of course things are much better then 1999 when I started with Linux, but you can still be thrown into a pull your hair out situation.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I have been using the T series of laptops, both IBM and Lenovo, for years. I had success running both Windows and Linux. I usually boot Linux from the Windows Boot Manager. I would stay away from the graphic switching models as Linux support is not very good.

There are usually drivers available on past models for later Windows operating systems. IBM/Lenovo laptops have a type number and you can consult PSRef pdfs to see the as-built configuration of non-custom models. There are also Hardware Maintenance Manuals available so you can easily upgrade or disassemble the laptop.

Lenovo Thinkpad T420: Another excellent, inexpensive Linux laptop | Open-Source Routing and Network Simulation

73 Eric

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
My wife has been running Linux Mint on her Sony VAIO laptop for about five years. Dell laptops are usually Linux compatible theses days, and I think they're selling some models with Linux installed.

As Eric posted, both IBM ThinkPads, and Lenovo, are usually a great choice. Note: Be careful with Lenovo's, when running the supplied Windows images, as many have them been loaded with spyware, they even admitted to.

I usually go to the manufacture website, and look to see if they support drivers for Linux. It's much more common than it used to be.

I find Linux Mint to be one of the best distros for ease of use, and compatibility.

For those interested in running Linux on desktops, I've used numerous IBM's, HP's, and Dell's Precision Workstations, with great success.

SCPD

QRT
Have you priced a 1000 Megabyte SSD lately? That is 1G SSD.

Think you mean TB. 1024 Gigabytes = 1 Terabyte.

Yes, a professional 1 TB SSD drive is a bit pricey.

You can of course get a 1 TB mainstream entry-level SSD drive for a little over $200.00.

Anne-britt

Status
Not open for further replies.