Toughbook CF-19 Serial Port Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I have a Panasonic Toughbook CF-19 MK3 running Windows 7 Pro SP1 that is having issues with the serial port. The serial port use to work flawlessly when programming any radio I connected to it. Now it only works with specific radio makes and models. I have confirmed the integrity of the cables I am using my trying them on another machine in which they worked fine.

I have an RS232 LED Tester and I have tried some of the DIY Serial/Com Port testing emulators which all show the serial port to be operating normally. I have also physically replaced the serial port hardware inside the machine with no change in its operation.

I am thinking that these must have been a driver/software or registry or configuration file that has been changed. I use this computer almost exclusively for radio programming because of the Serial Port. Now that it is not functioning I am looking at trying to fix it or replace the computer. So far no luck on fixing the issue.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Are you selecting the correct serial port in the software, and setting the baud rate properly?

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I have confirmed the correct port and baud rate. I have even adjusted the Com Port Settings in the Device Manager with no success. I have loaded the default BIOS settings to confirm that there was no issue there.

Here is a brief video of my CF-19 booting up with my RS232 connected to the serial port.
https://youtu.be/WQHIy-ZzXME

Here is a video of my CF-18 booting up with my RS232 tester connected. This computer doesn't have any issues communicating with any of my devices/radios
https://youtu.be/z4vyX4ucPgg

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I haven't tried that. I have been looking into it. The Microsoft COA on this computer is for Windows Vista Business and I am currently running Windows 7 Professional. So I don't have the product key that I would need for a clean install...

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have confirmed the correct port and baud rate. I have even adjusted the Com Port Settings in the Device Manager with no success. I have loaded the default BIOS settings to confirm that there was no issue there.

Here is a brief video of my CF-19 booting up with my RS232 connected to the serial port.
https://youtu.be/WQHIy-ZzXME

Here is a video of my CF-18 booting up with my RS232 tester connected. This computer doesn't have any issues communicating with any of my devices/radios
https://youtu.be/z4vyX4ucPgg

I'm not talking settings in your PC hardware, or Windows. I'm talking about settings in your radio software? Most radio software also has baud rate settings to match that of the radio. You also normally need to tell the radio software what COM port to use, ie; COM1, COM2, COM3...

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
One thing not talked about yet is the handshake lines. They can "eat your lunch" and not bat an eye.

On the computer side besides Com number and baud rate there are or could be options to ignore incoming handshake lines so the computer is not depending on the other end of the cable to do that.

One example of a radio & cable that works is more than ground, data out and data in are connected and CTS is true from the radio and the computers serial port is functional or the connector at the computer end of the cable is back strapped to do the same DTR to CTS.

If a radio & cable setup don't work because only three wires (signals) are used and the computer serial port is not set to ignore incoming handshake the port will be locked up until you change something.

If any one of your setups programs the radio I would not be looking at a hardware failure of the serial port. The bulk of the serial port device would be working. True that incoming and outgoing handshake lines are buffered by devices that could have failed.

I would focus on how each radio programing setup communicates with the computer at the cable level. Be careful of using the RS-232 LED tester. Better ones have indicators on each line and don't overload the signal lines.

It will be an education in the world of RS-232 serial port communications.

Good Luck,
Mike

P.S. In another post it has been said to get a scanner to work properly there is only one way to set it up and 30 ways to set it wrong. :D

Last edited:

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I'm not talking settings in your PC hardware, or Windows. I'm talking about settings in your radio software? Most radio software also has baud rate settings to match that of the radio. You also normally need to tell the radio software what COM port to use, ie; COM1, COM2, COM3...

Thanks for the clarification. I have checked the settings both within all the various pieces of software I use as well as the COM Port Settings. Everything it set correctly and nothing is working.

Found my Windows Key. Did a fresh install with no changes, computer is still behaving the same way.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Firewall settings?

I will look into the Firewall Settings however I am not familiar with any Firewall Settings that control the Serial Port. If you are aware of any would you share them with me? Thanks for all the help!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I will look into the Firewall Settings however I am not familiar with any Firewall Settings that control the Serial Port. If you are aware of any would you share them with me? Thanks for all the help!

In Windows 7, go to Control Panel, then Windows Firewall. See if your radio software is listed in any of the settings, and if it is being blocked. Also, what Anti-Virus/Security Software are you using? That can interfere with software functions.

What radio are you trying to program, and what software are you using to do it?

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
In Windows 7, go to Control Panel, then Windows Firewall. See if your radio software is listed in any of the settings, and if it is being blocked. Also, what Anti-Virus/Security Software are you using? That can interfere with software functions.

What radio are you trying to program, and what software are you using to do it?

I will take a look to see if any of my software is listed in the Firewall Settings although I have never had an issue with the Firewall before.

Radios that I often program with a serial port include but not limited to the following:

Bendix King GPH, GPHPlus, and DPH Radios.
Motorola HT1000, MT2000, P1225/M1225, CP200, CM300, CT250, CDM1550, XTS15/2500, Astro Spectra, MagOne BPR40
MACom/Orion: M7100
Relm: RPV3300, RPV3600, PRV3600Plus, RPV599A
Yaesu/Vertex: VX-150, VX-170, FT60R, FT1900, FT7800, VX424, VX800, VXR-1000, VXR-7000

I know there are several more radio in which I rely on the Serial Port to program...

bharvey2

Which COM port is your serial port listed under? I've run across instances of software that won't work when higher number COM ports used even though Windows permits it, especially with older software. Sometimes only COM1 or COM2 will work successfully.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
So I elected to do a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro with no changes in the way the COM Port is operating or behaving. I found the product key in my computer prior to reinstalling Windows however now I am unable to activate Windows using this product key. Now I have 2 problems instead of the 1 Serial/COM Port Issue.

Which COM port is your serial port listed under? I've run across instances of software that won't work when higher number COM ports used even though Windows permits it, especially with older software. Sometimes only COM1 or COM2 will work successfully.

I am using COM1 which has been the port associated with my Serial Port. I also have a COM2 which I think might be associated with the Touchscreen and COM3 is the built in GPS unit.

bharvey2

If you're quite confident that the Windows Key is the one that belongs to that computer, a call to Microsoft should get it working. I've had strange behavior with Microsoft activations that should otherwise be normal. That of course is a secondary issue.

Software re-installs don't always overwrite files completely. It may be what is going on with your computer. Options are:

1. Start with a different hard drive.
2. Do a low level overwrite before installing windows. These are often done to wipe hard disks of sensitive information (like passwords and banking information) prior to disposal.

It it correct to assume that you've tested the COM ports with all of your radio software and none of them work?

jmfirefighter

Had the same thing happen to me on my CF-19. Worked fine then I installed some Windows updates, and BAM it stopped being able to program certain older radios via the serial port. Solution for me was to use Windows Virtual PC with XP Mode to run the older software that used a serial port.

Not sure if this will apply to you, but it's worth a shot depending on what software you are using.....

Status
Not open for further replies.