Microsoft...force Windows 10 Mail users...use Edge for email links

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab5r

I've been using Chrome for a long time and NEVER been forced to Edge, Win 10 is fine for me. I know that others have voiced complaints about 10, and I can't duplicate their problem or explain the why.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
MS at it again in forcing it's clients to use what MS deems is best.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/16/17130566/microsoft-windows-10-mail-edge-default-links

Using Chrome or Firefox for browser, Windows 10 will just force you to use "Edge"!
This is why I dropped 10 quite a few months ago. I felt that THAT OS was the worst ever...

As one of my favorite Youtube personalities often says, "Well there's your problem lady!".

The real issue is using a deficient mail application like Windows Mail. It's a piece of garbage from the top end down, and they (MS) know that. They (MS) expect people to become so frustrated with it that they'll cough up an Office subscription to get Outlook 2016. Granted, it isn't a bad idea to do that anyway since a yearly Office subscription is pretty affordable to most and Outlook 2016 is quite nice.

Anyone running Windows 10 who doesn't want to pay for an email application should just get Mozilla Thunderbird, which is another great email client that happens to be free.

Mike

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Anyone running Windows 10 who doesn't want to pay for an email application should just get Mozilla Thunderbird, which is another great email client that happens to be free.
Mike

+1 Mike! That's what I've been doing as well, for years!

Golay

Browsing around

Using Chrome or Firefox for browser, Windows 10 will just force you to use "Edge"!

Well, yes and no. You can set it up to where any browser comes up when you hit the Edge icon at the bottom of the toolbar. But you're gonna get Edge if you open up another tab at the top.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
As I understand it, Microsoft will only force you to Edge when you access links from within Microsoft Mail. I don't use either.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Change to Chrome in default programs. Check carefully, there are lots of items to change. Including how email links are opened.

Correct, but supposedly that's what's changing. Microsoft won't give you the option to change the default to what app opens links, etc embedded within emails 'if' you are using Microsoft's Windows Mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.