Lost Ubuntu on dual boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
On my laptop, I had Win 10 and Linux Ubuntu running perfect. Seems windows did some kind of update and linux no longer works. Installed Eastbcd and saw there was the entry for linux. So since it was not working, I removed it and created a new entry. No good. Same thing. When metro loader pops up and I choose Linux, it reboots and displays the following,

Try (hd0,0): NTFS5: No ang0
Try (hd0,1): EXT2: _

Not sure what to do at this point . I can get into win 10 and easybcd.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
On my laptop, I had Win 10 and Linux Ubuntu running perfect. Seems windows did some kind of update and linux no longer works. Installed Eastbcd and saw there was the entry for linux. So since it was not working, I removed it and created a new entry. No good. Same thing. When metro loader pops up and I choose Linux, it reboots and displays the following,

Try (hd0,0): NTFS5: No ang0
Try (hd0,1): EXT2: _

Not sure what to do at this point . I can get into win 10 and easybcd.

When Windows 10 was originally installed, in BIOS did you choose MBR or UEFI?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
How do I check if I have uefi or not?

Loaded partition wizard and I see my windows partition and i do see 307 gb labeled ext4 as seen in the pic below. That is my Linux. Then there is a 100mb system reserved that I would guess is where the boot files are. The 15gb allocated has always been there.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
How do I check if I have uefi or not?

Loaded partition wizard and I see my windows partition and i do see 307 gb labeled ext4 as seen in the pic below. That is my Linux. Then there is a 100mb system reserved that I would guess is where the boot files are. The 15gb allocated has always been there.

If you go into the BIOS settings you should see it their somewhere near the beginning. 'DON'T CHANGE IT!!!'

When you installed Linux did you set it up as a dual-boot where you select which one you want run (WIN/LINUX)? If so, do you know how to un-hide files in your root directory? See if you can fine boot.ini and view the contents.

Additional info here that might help:
https://www.google.com/search?clien...0i22i30k1j0i67k1j0i131k1j0i10k1.0.0SSRh0mNpIg

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I am going to check that link out as soon as I am with the laptop.

@ iMONITOR it said insysdelH20 EFI on the screen for like 2 seconds.

Also, how do I unhide the Linux files when in windows? Even when it was working, I was never able to see the Linux stuff while in windows.

Also, yes, I would boot up, and windows metro loader would come up asking windows or Linux. It still comes up, just does not load Linux. How do I unhide the files and where am I looking for boot.ini? Windows drive or Linux drive? Or the 100 meg system reserved drive?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I am going to check that link out as soon as I am with the laptop.

@ iMONITOR it said insysdelH20 EFI on the screen for like 2 seconds.

Also, how do I unhide the Linux files when in windows? Even when it was working, I was never able to see the Linux stuff while in windows.

Also, yes, I would boot up, and windows metro loader would come up asking windows or Linux. It still comes up, just does not load Linux. How do I unhide the files and where am I looking for boot.ini? Windows drive or Linux drive? Or the 100 meg system reserved drive?

I was referring to un-hiding files in Windows.

The 100MB system reserved partition is for Windows. While you don't need it, you should leave it there as it can help you recover from some Windows system problems.

Are you more experienced in Windows or Linux, or both?

Here is something else to look over. Kali should be similar to Ubuntu regarding this problem. UEFI is also refereed to as Secure Boot. I'm not familiar with it as I've never used it.

UEFI: How to repair kali-linux grub dual boot with Windows 10
https://forums.kali.org/showthread....air-kali-linux-grub-dual-boot-with-Windows-10

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I am better with windows. I have show hidden files enabled. Searched for boot.ini and its not showing anything. Whats its path?

After a little google search, it seems win 10 does not use boot ini but instead bcd (boot config data)

Also, everything was working fine. I did not update my bios. I think win 10 did an update.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE

I wiped the bcd file to the point windows would not load. Got the following,

Error Windows failed to start...
1. Insert your Windows installation disc...
2. Choose your language..
3. Click "Repair your computer" If you do not have the disc, ...
File: \Boot\BCD Status: 0xc0000098 Info: The Windows Boot Configuration Data file does not contain a valid OS entry.

I stuck my win 7 disc in (cant put my finger on the win 10 disc) and chose repair when it saw my win 10 install. I then got back into win 10 and loaded easybcd and added the linux, again, and this time it stuck. I am back in my linux. All that's left to do is make a backup of the bcd so if this happens again, I should be able to restore it easily rather than having to break something .

Thanks guys.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I am better with windows. I have show hidden files enabled. Searched for boot.ini and its not showing anything. Whats its path?

After a little google search, it seems win 10 does not use boot ini but instead bcd (boot config data)

Also, everything was working fine. I did not update my bios. I think win 10 did an update.

Yea I'm struggling to remember things right now. I'm 68 and going in for me second open heart surgery in a couple of weeks, to replace a mechanical valve that wasn't installed properly five years ago. Low blood flow, low blood oxygen, tired, anxiety etc. I apologize, just having problems thinking clearly right now.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
UPDATE

I wiped the bcd file to the point windows would not load. Got the following,

Error Windows failed to start...
1. Insert your Windows installation disc...
2. Choose your language..
3. Click "Repair your computer" If you do not have the disc, ...
File: \Boot\BCD Status: 0xc0000098 Info: The Windows Boot Configuration Data file does not contain a valid OS entry.

I stuck my win 7 disc in (cant put my finger on the win 10 disc) and chose repair when it saw my win 10 install. I then got back into win 10 and loaded easybcd and added the linux, again, and this time it stuck. I am back in my linux. All that's left to do is make a backup of the bcd so if this happens again, I should be able to restore it easily rather than having to break something .

Thanks guys.

Sounds like you're making progress! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.