DeLorme GPS BT-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have an old DeLorme BT-20 GPS antenna and wonder if it's worth keeping. It's a very early model. I used DeLorme mapping software when it first came out and always used it until Garmin bought them out. The BT-20 has only a USB mini receptacle and it plugs directly into the computer. It was out long before SiRF technology.

Even though DeLorme no longer markets PC mapping software, I still have the 2 latest versions. The 2015 version is on my little Acer Netbook.

Anyway, is it worth hanging onto?

Edit: Just noticed that it has a Bluetooth symbol on it, too. It's so old it has to be 1st generation. Now I'm gonna have to hook it up to the Acer and see what happens.

Last edited:

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Old thread, I know, but I wanted to put in a comment. I used DeLorme in my big truck when I was working, but the original copy was not intended for commercial vehicles. I went into the DeLome forums and met a guy in there (like me, a former trucker turned RVer) that wrote add-on files for free which included HazMat routes, low overpasses/bridges, restricted routes, scales and truck stops, rest areas, POIs, etc etc. My DeLorme was customized and beefed up for trucking and I loved it. I still use that copy, even though it's 10 years old, while driving the RV. I love me some DeLorme!

2-cents

JD
kf4anc

PS - if you look at my Shack Photos, you will see a shot of the interior of my Freightliner, and my laptop w/gps is up with a DeLorme screenshot. I never leave home without it!

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Like I said above, I still use the DeLorme 2015 verson. Though it hasn't been updated in a while, I can still look at the overall picture when I plan a long trip and get a general idea of the trip.. I've succumbed to technology now and use a Tom Tom when I'm actually traveling.

I've probably made the trip from GA to MI to visit the grandkids at least 20 times and pretty much know the way now, but I still use the GPS to keep me apprised of traffic, etc.

I also used Microsoft's Streets and Trips until it was dealt a lethal blow by smart phones and GPS units.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Well, I would say that it's definitely worth hanging on to even if it is only able to be used in a limited capacity. I doubt if it can be updated via the manufacturer's website anymore, or even supported at all. But, if you ever need any kind of help, they have a forum on the DeLorme website. I was surprised to see so many active posters on their website forums, most of them very knowledgeable and technically savvy as to the software. Several members write their own working plugins and make the downloads available for free to the DeLorme forum community. Very friendly folks there! If you have questions about the software or need tech support, that forum is the place to go.

JD
kf4anc

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Well, I would say that it's definitely worth hanging on to even if it is only able to be used in a limited capacity. I doubt if it can be updated via the manufacturer's website anymore, or even supported at all. But, if you ever need any kind of help, they have a forum on the DeLorme website. I was surprised to see so many active posters on their website forums, most of them very knowledgeable and technically savvy as to the software. Several members write their own working plugins and make the downloads available for free to the DeLorme forum community. Very friendly folks there! If you have questions about the software or need tech support, that forum is the place to go.

JD
kf4anc

Thanx. I'll check it out.

No, updates are no longer available and haven't been since Garmin bought them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.