thomaston approves new radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Thomaston Citizens Voted on the radio system on 9/12/11 at 20:10

In favor: 190
Opposed 10

i got this from another forum,i do not know what kind of equipment they are buying to whos installing it but it will be a big asset to the town becasue their low band system does not work most of the time here is the article from the waterbury paper.

THOMASTON — After years of first responders dealing with failing radios, taxpayers sent a strong message on Wednesday by voting in favor of a $3.9 million project to replace the town's entire radio communications infrastructure.

In an 190-10 vote, residents at a town meeting approved the project after about 30 minutes of questioning the cost and the necessity of the system.

Sgt. James Campbell, acting police chief, said the next step is to have the town attorney closely review a contract with Motorola and move that on to the Board of Selectmen for their approval. Once that is completed the work can begin, he said

Last edited:

kjczarzasty

Premium Subscriber
Going to be a uhf 4 site simulcast non trunked system Motorola Utility Communication doing the job and all radio equipment will be Motorola

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
good,now maybe ill be able to hear them from wolcott,even though thomaston is a very quiet town.

kjczarzasty

Premium Subscriber
Police will have their own channel plus an encrypted tactical channel the other three frequencies will be split between FD,EMS,and public works. How it will be broken up will remain to be seen.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
i do not know,i hope they will be clear,but it is such a small town there really is not alot of police action,just your average everydy minor incident like my town,but it woud be nice to listen to them if we feel like it

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I was talking to a few guys from Thomaston at the CSFA convention this weekend. They are waiting to get this in to help improve their communications. As far as what was explained to me, the PD channel was going to be in the clear. We'll see.

Cskib32087

Going to be a uhf 4 site simulcast non trunked system Motorola Utility Communication doing the job and all radio equipment will be Motorola

Wow Utility Communication's, Thats a huge job for them.
Nice to see Motorola throwing the little guy a bone once and a while

Can't wait to see how they get 4 public safety UHF channels, Those are hard to come by.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Utility Communications is far larger than you think. They have a lot of the city / town / regional contracts in greater New Haven county.

Status
Not open for further replies.