South Central CMED Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianpizza

Okay, so I know the following (please correct me if I'm wrong)...
MED 1 = patch to Griffin
MED 2 = patch to Yale Guilford
MED 4 = patch to HSR
MED 6 = patch to Midstate
MED 7 = patch to YNH
MED 8 = patch to Milford Hospital
MED 10 = Dispatch

My question is what are Channels 3, 5 and 9 for? Thanks in advance!

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
this is some useful nfo i cant help you with your question but there are some guys that might-but i did not know each hospital was assigned a med channel,i was under the assumption they use whatever is available- would anyone know what med channels are assigned to st marys,,waterbury,midstate hospitals,they go through northwest cmed thanks

ems170

Feed Provider
Hospital patches can be assigned to any med channel available in that area. Most C-MEDs in CT use the same med channels for the same hospitals to remain end user friendly. It is much easier to be familiar with the regular med channels assigned to a hospital than have confusion each time. Also the dispatcher will often leave the patch set-up or set-up in an inactive state. That saves a few extra button presses, or in the case now mouse clicks to achieve a patch.

You will find channels are occasionally changed in the event of failure or maintenance on a site. You will also quickly hear the confusion changing the assignments causes. A few come to mind "did you say med xx for yale" or "med 6 I am looking for a patch to st marys"

by the way med 5 usually paired with St Marys, and med 6 with Waterbury. South Central covers Midstate and I believe it is med 6.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so I know the following (please correct me if I'm wrong)...
MED 1 = patch to Griffin
MED 2 = patch to Yale Guilford
MED 4 = patch to HSR
MED 6 = patch to Midstate
MED 7 = patch to YNH
MED 8 = patch to Milford Hospital
MED 10 = Dispatch

My question is what are Channels 3, 5 and 9 for? Thanks in advance!

Med 5 is not commonly used.. Med 9 is used by southwest CMED in Bridgeport for lower FFLD. county. Unlike southwest CMED, who occupies med 10 with a different PL in the Norwalk area ( 123.0 ), I don't believe southcentral uses med 9 for anything. I don't believe med 3 is used often by southcentral either. As has been already stated, no channel is exclusive. This idea of using the same channels most of the time for particular hospitals is good practice however, for all who use the system, as ems170 pointed out. I have heard CMED ask a crew sometimes for their location when asking for a patch. This determines what tower is closest and best to use for that particular patch. Hope this helps.

Manny

Last edited:

MTACOP

Retired
Premium Subscriber
I know when I dispatched at SC C-Med we kept up certain med channels on certain towers and used them for the hospitals as listed, but they weren't always patched into the ER unless requested. This may have changed but I don't see any ER desiring to listen to the radio 24/7.

Trinity-Explorations

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
167.9 PL is used for New Haven County, MED 10 being primary dispatch for all SC CMED in NH County,

N1TGE

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
thanks captain obvious....

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Ianpizza I used to work there so I'll explain it to you. Some things have changed operationally from when i was their from 2000 to 2007 (full and part time), so I'm not fully up to date with the day-to-day operations. But I still have a lot of connections and the channels and tower locations haven't changed.

You are correct with the pairings that you have listed that are mainly used for patching units into the hospitals. MED 3 is also used for Mid-State for those units up in the Meriden / Wallingford area. MED 6 is used for those units coming from the southern end of the region in North Haven or the southern End of Wallingford. MED 5 is located on two towers, one in Wallingford and the other on the Shoreline. MED 5 gets more use up in the Wallingford westside area when needed. Also all the MED channels can be used as tactical channels with or without a repeater, they can be remotely turned off by the dispatcher. MED 6 can also be used if a unit coming in from the Shorline or Middlesex area needs to patch when they are out of range of the MED 4 & 7 radios. MED 8 is also used to patch to the USVA in West Haven.

The main reason for the pairing like you have listed is because of that tower's location to a specific hospital / clinic for use with their backup radios, which just work as a control station of sorts. They also have them set up this way to make it easier for the ambulance crew to patch in and also to help out the dispatchers from having to keep on connecting up the hospitals to the patch lines. like any other radio.

There is a little known fact about South Central, you can patch any hospital in the region to any MED 1 through 8 channel. For example, you can hook up Griffin Hospital in Derby to MED 2 on the Shoreline if need be (yes there was a patient from out that way that wanted to go to Griffin, needless to say the doc at Griffin said to go to the closest place; patient should have listened to the ambulance crew!)

C-MED New Haven has several sites through the 18 town region. Four of the sites have MED 10 on them, the primary dispatch channel. MED 9 is not utilized in the region for dispatch, however when I was there it was talked about using both frequencies as a low powered tactical on-scene channel but that idea never flowered. We also had the old MED 11, 12, 13 & 14 channels as well. Only MED 14 was used for dispatch up in the northern area of our region due to the fact North Central also dispatched on MED 10 (different PL) and used to stomp all over the units up there. But they got rid of it because of some complications.

Here are the tower list with the MED channels on them, a "R" after means that channel's base radio is repeated.

Valley (Seymour) MED 10, MED 1-R, MED 6

West Rock (New Haven) MED 10-R, MED 4-R, MED 7-R

East Rock (New Haven) MED 6-R

Cook Hill (Wallingford) MED 5-R

Meriden MED 10, MED 3-R

Shoreline (Guilford) MED 10, MED 2-R, MED 3

WHVA - MED 8-R

Eels Hill (Milford) - MED 8

Hope this helps out.

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Nobody explains this like you do Izzy! Thanks a million! This CMED questions comes up every once in a while. While on this subject, how exactly is rebanding going to affect CMED? Did they file for an extention or anything?

Manny

ecps92

There would have been NO extensions, atleast Nothing filed with the FCC

Nobody explains this like you do Izzy! Thanks a million! This CMED questions comes up every once in a while. While on this subject, how exactly is rebanding going to affect CMED? Did they file for an extention or anything?

Manny

emtprt

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SPH-L300 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

CMED Re-banded 12/14/2012
Also I believe some new towers are in the works. The 453.xxx channels are utilized by the NHASH team (simplex) and 453.175 is regional interop

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SPH-L300 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

CMED Re-banded 12/14/2012
Also I believe some new towers are in the works. The 453.xxx channels are utilized by the NHASH team (simplex) and 453.175 is regional interop

Thats funny because I have not noticed any difference in the audio quality! I changed modes FM to NFM and no difference! Interesting!

Manny

cg

Premium Subscriber
Wait until the fights start with the new radio requirements. 256 channel minimum with Zone operation.
Every Med channel (1-102) in every CMED Region (5) in the state, plus Every Med channel in every CMED Region in the state in Talkaround Mode (Cannot use a button, must be a separate channel). Of course since many services go into MA, those channels need to be added as well

Looking like it may become an inspectable item this year or next. Hopefully your group didn't go out and buy CDMs or other 128 channel radios for narrowbanding. And of course, no state money to fund them.

Good old DEMHS & OEMS.

chris

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Chris come on a fight??? There was no fighting when they went over from the old GE radios with the top mounted PL buttons to the newer Kenwood and Motorola pre-programmed jobs!!!! <snicker>

Status
Not open for further replies.