Technology Efforts Make Headway in Sherman Connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioguy224

Premium Subscriber
Technology Efforts Make Headway in Sherman

Check out this weeks Town Tribune for some details on the planned upgrades to the Sherman town radio infrastructure and upcoming vote on January 20th. If you don't have a copy of the paper handy you can read the article here:

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a very logical and cost effective way to get the radio coverage both departments are in need of. Glad you did not let some radio manufacturer sell you something you do not need.
Best of luck!
David
N1DPD

APX7500X2

Technology Efforts Make Headway in Sherman

Check out this weeks Town Tribune for some details on the planned upgrades to the Sherman town radio infrastructure and upcoming vote on January 20th. If you don't have a copy of the paper handy you can read the article here:

I can't wait to see a $147k, 3 site 2 channel simulcast system.

The only 2 manufacturers that build real public safety grade simulcast are Motorola and Harris, and neither can put up a 2 channel 1 site system for 147k forget about 3 sites.

And if your firefighters are using the 3 site simulcast system for fire ground you are asking for a LODD to happen...Just ask NFPA or NIOSH...The insurance payout to the family is going to cost the town way more than the correct radio system would

Last edited:

edisonfire

Why a Simulcast System

Why not place a repeater atop a high point in the town using the same frequency with separate PL's for FD, DPW and perhaps a shared PL for both departments when there might be a need to communicate. I spend a considerable amount of time in Sherman as I have family there and I listen to the scanner while there. I understand they have topography issues with mountains and valleys, But neither the FD or DPW is particularly busy. They are dispatched on Litchfield County system despite being Fairfield County. I wonder if they tested New Fairfield's fire radio system to see if offered coverage, both safety/coverage and dispatch point wise rather than a Band-Aid approach to continue with Litchfield?

APX7500X2

Why not place a repeater atop a high point in the town using the same frequency with separate PL's for FD, DPW and perhaps a shared PL for both departments when there might be a need to communicate. I spend a considerable amount of time in Sherman as I have family there and I listen to the scanner while there. I understand they have topography issues with mountains and valleys, But neither the FD or DPW is particularly busy. They are dispatched on Litchfield County system despite being Fairfield County. I wonder if they tested New Fairfield's fire radio system to see if offered coverage, both safety/coverage and dispatch point wise rather than a Band-Aid approach to continue with Litchfield?

LMAO 1985 called and wants their radio system back.

You are correct that's it a waste anyway, They are on LCD, they should use that system, they have non repeated fire grounds already with LCD, just as NFPA and NIOSH recommends

Everyone has to have their own little system

Kitn1mcc

Premium Subscriber
i wonder if they will keep the fire ground on simplex but will be on the input side of the repeater. so its simplex at the fire scene but also repeated.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Sounds more like a voted 2 channel repeater system. One for FD the other for Highway. As usual news people don't understand radio any better than politicians. Will have to check out their equip as it sounds like they are going on the recently sold East Mountain site in Dover. Dutchess County is still there with all their freqs, and a really good site (over 1400 ft) , as I could get my UHF signal all the way down to Brewster NY from there. True simulcast may not be needed, separation of sites can be done with a sloppycast system (FM capture effect). My agency does that on simplex now in NYC with 3 transmitters all on the same freq. separated by different power levels, mileage an tall buildings.

Last edited:

APX7500X2

So it been 6 months, How does the system sound now that its 3 site simulcast?

Any issues hearing it with the current scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.