Questions before I purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

shorty53740

Premium Subscriber
So after a lot of research and money saving, I think I am ready to buy myself a scanner, however, I am a bit confused about a couple of things:

1. Will the Uniden BCD325P2 scanner be able to listen to Wethersfield CT Police, Fire, and EMS, as well as Aetna Ambulance DIspatch and North Central CMED? (the Wethersfield page: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8163)

2. Can the BCD325P2 be programmed through some software program on a computer such as Freescan? Wethersfield is a Simulcast system so I am not sure if this will make it harder to program.

3. Should I purchase an AC or DC adaptor for it?

4. Should I upgrade my antenna to the W-801 Regular Gainer with BNC or the Austin Condor with BNC both of which are offered by Scanner Master?

5. Will I need either a DMR Upgrade or ProVoice Upgrade to hear any of the above-mentioned systems?

6. Does anybody know what frequencies Aetna Ambulance is dispatched on?

Thank you in advance.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Simulcast doesn't make a system harder to program, but it does make the system harder to monitor. Currently the SDS100 is the only scanner available specifically designed for simulcast, and anything else may work fine, not at all, or somewhere in between, depending on your location and its relation to the transmitters.

You have DMR and NXDN systems in your county, so you may want to consider getting those upgrades.

AvidHiker

1. Yes, the 325 can monitor the system you linked to.
2. Yes. In case you're not aware, from what I've read, folks generally have a harder time programming this unit versus more user-friendly options like the HP/436/SDS.
3. Not familiar with the power requirements but, personally, I wouldn't buy any accessories until after evaluating the unit.
4. I also wouldn't bother with additional antennas until after evaluating the unit in the locations where you need reception.
5. For the system you linked to, no upgrades are needed.
6. You may want to bump the thread you started in the CT forum for this one:
https://forums.radioreference.com/c...rs-capable-receiving-wethersfield-ems-pd.html

Upside is, the 2 guys that responded weren't having simulcast problems with this system. Doesn't mean you won't, however. As Jon said, you may end up wishing you went with the SDS.

Last edited:
Wethersfield

So after a lot of research and money saving, I think I am ready to buy myself a scanner, however, I am a bit confused about a couple of things:

1. Will the Uniden BCD325P2 scanner be able to listen to Wethersfield CT Police, Fire, and EMS, as well as Aetna Ambulance DIspatch and North Central CMED? (the Wethersfield page: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8163)

2. Can the BCD325P2 be programmed through some software program on a computer such as Freescan? Wethersfield is a Simulcast system so I am not sure if this will make it harder to program.

3. Should I purchase an AC or DC adaptor for it?

4. Should I upgrade my antenna to the W-801 Regular Gainer with BNC or the Austin Condor with BNC both of which are offered by Scanner Master?

5. Will I need either a DMR Upgrade or ProVoice Upgrade to hear any of the above-mentioned systems?

6. Does anybody know what frequencies Aetna Ambulance is dispatched on?

Thank you in advance.

First of all, I suggest you ask to have the post moved to the CT section. Click on the triangle to make the request.

Yes you will be able to receive Wethersfield.

You shouldn't need another antenna.

The scanner is powered by batteries which are charged by a USB connection.

Freescan can be used.

Wethersfield doesn't have any simulcast issues.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.