Norwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolrich55

Editorial in The Day about a vote coming up to fund a new PD and FD radio system. Talking 2.5 million and not 10 as was talked about in the past. Sounds like they want to piggy back off the current state system. They must be talking about CSERN? They wouldn't join the current CSP system would they?

cg

Premium Subscriber
The Motorola SmartNet system currently being used (mostly) by the State Police is going away in the near future. The new Statewide P25 Phase II system (with the inaccurate name CSERN) will become the only statewide Public Safety system. It is 700 & 800 MHz mix. Still some older radios out there but fewer every week.
Municipal departments are being allowed onto the State system for the first time with Stonington being the first then to be followed by Groton Town PD. Radios have been procured or will be soon and it is expected that they will go live when the new P25 goes online.
There are a number of negatives with doing that. The system is run by the State and I would expect the municipalities to have little voice in decisions being made concerning how it is run. Also, the system is designed for 95% coverage with mobile radios. For 95% (or better) portable coverage, additional infrastructure or mobile repeaters will be needed. I believe there a new simulcast site being built in the Stonington/Groton area.
The up side is that you have a group of people that do radio work full time backed by a service contract with Motorola to take care of the infrastructure. If you are surrounded by CSP towns, you have better direct communications with them and with other users on the network as well. And you can save a bunch of money by not having to buy some of the more expensive parts of the system.

chris

KC1IMD

Feed Provider
If I may chime in here. I was speaking with the manager of that new system a couple of months ago. Another positive would greater interoperability. As he explained it, if requested, an engine in Enfield would be able to communicate with an engine in Groton. Also, I believe he said coverage was slightly higher. Thanks.

bondo_06092

Premium Subscriber
If I may chime in here. I was speaking with the manager of that new system a couple of months ago. Another positive would greater interoperability. As he explained it, if requested, an engine in Enfield would be able to communicate with an engine in Groton. Also, I believe he said coverage was slightly higher. Thanks.

Joe,

That system is in place already with the 8-call network. Unless you mean they will have the channel programmed into their radios as an option (Hopefully)

KC1IMD

Feed Provider
Correct on the 8-call. But the managers point was, I believe, if most FD’s were on the State’s system, interoperability could easily be done by system admins as needed with the same radios. Currently, as you know, fire apparatus need an assortment of radios for interoperability. One communication system for all purposes including data.

APX7500X2

Editorial in The Day about a vote coming up to fund a new PD and FD radio system. Talking 2.5 million and not 10 as was talked about in the past. Sounds like they want to piggy back off the current state system. They must be talking about CSERN? They wouldn't join the current CSP system would they?

Its a win-win, Norwich gets a radio system for 1/4 the price and the state gets more sites and coverage

Put some G4/G5 pagers in there and the departments can get alerted over the trunking system, no need for any other infrastructure

cg

Premium Subscriber
The 8 call is a completely different system, analog & conventional. The system Norwich would be looking at is 700/800 P25 Phase II (digital & trunked). Some sites are shared and there are patch possibilities onto the trunked system but they are still separate.

chris

coolrich55

8 call and cspern are already in use as statewide interop systems. So interop shouldn't really be a major selling point for the stateside phase 2 system. Cost on the other hand is. Plus for Norwich they'd be going basically from the caveman days straight to the jetsons.

jmorrissey23

Premium Subscriber
The Motorola SmartNet system currently being used (mostly) by the State Police is going away in the near future. The new Statewide P25 Phase II system (with the inaccurate name CSERN) will become the only statewide Public Safety system. It is 700 & 800 MHz mix. Still some older radios out there but fewer every week.
Municipal departments are being allowed onto the State system for the first time with Stonington being the first then to be followed by Groton Town PD. Radios have been procured or will be soon and it is expected that they will go live when the new P25 goes online.
There are a number of negatives with doing that. The system is run by the State and I would expect the municipalities to have little voice in decisions being made concerning how it is run. Also, the system is designed for 95% coverage with mobile radios. For 95% (or better) portable coverage, additional infrastructure or mobile repeaters will be needed. I believe there a new simulcast site being built in the Stonington/Groton area.
The up side is that you have a group of people that do radio work full time backed by a service contract with Motorola to take care of the infrastructure. If you are surrounded by CSP towns, you have better direct communications with them and with other users on the network as well. And you can save a bunch of money by not having to buy some of the more expensive parts of the system.

chris

Seeing site 001-026 coming up as a peer to the Haddam site tonight in Unitrunker, control channel is 773.93125 which is liscensed for several locations in New London county under WQYA371. Unable to pick up the control channel from the New Haven area, hopefully someone local can find out what site that frequency is coming from or if it's simulcast.

georged4997

Premium Subscriber
Im in Sprague using a 996p2. I been doing a search of 769to774 and im not hearing anything.
I also have a antenna on the roof and using lmr400.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't be surprised that part of a new system in Norwich would include them adding a tower and simulcast site like Groton/Stonington. But for you in Sprague, you would be closest to a Troop K site in Franklin. Whether or not they would include the Troop K simulcast cell for a Norwich talkgroup would depend on the coverage on the Troop E cell. (Troop K P25 has not yet been turned on except for the old Site 34)

The licensed locations for the 700 MHz Troop E cell are:
Sterling, Ekonk Hill Rd
North Stonington, Wintechog Hill Rd
East Lyme, Pumphouse Rd
Ledyard, Vinegar Hill Rd
I think the tower at Troop E is microwave only.

Also, the 996P2 may not do well with .0625 channels in search mode. You want to try CC only in the search options and sit on that 773.93125 frequency.

scanner1

Question is, what scanner goes out to the 5th decimal point?? My 396T does not. Will I be able to get the control channel?

Also

On the 700 system, will the programming be the same as with the current 800 system, i.e. Custom band plan and then enter control channel only??

Are the 700 and 800 systems going to be 2 separate systems or are they going to be meshed together using both 7/800??

jmorrissey23

Premium Subscriber
Question is, what scanner goes out to the 5th decimal point?? My 396T does not. Will I be able to get the control channel?

Also

On the 700 system, will the programming be the same as with the current 800 system, i.e. Custom band plan and then enter control channel only??

Are the 700 and 800 systems going to be 2 separate systems or are they going to be meshed together using both 7/800??

Yes your scanner will be able to receive this system, just enter the first 4 decimal points and the scanner will pick up the control channel.

The 700 system is a true P25 system and broadcasts the band plan over the control channel so there’s no need to manually enter the band plan.

The new 700 system runs on the new ASTRO 7.17 platform which is true P25, the current 800 system is a SmartZone 4.1 system with an analog control channel. Eventually the old 800 SmartZone system will turned off and users will switch to the new 7.17 system once it is fully built out. Once the old 800 SmartZone system is fully turned off the 800 channels will be added to the new system to increase capacity of the 700 sites. So when all is said and done it will one system with 7/800 frequency both being used.

scanner1

Makes sense. So the 700 control channel will eventually direct the radio to either a 700 or 800 frequency.

What system do we choose when entering the 700 control channel on the scanner?? I'm currently running a 396T and a 536hp.

Status
Not open for further replies.