Naugatuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

eschmec

Premium Subscriber
Looking for feedback/advice from folks who are in Naugatuck area about digital scanning reception in Naugatuck and what I may be able to listen to. I am located on the western side of town near Middlebury/Oxford surrounded by hills to the south, west, and north (yup, kind of a hole). Previous experience (pre-digital) with a Pro-62 was good Naugatuck reception for police, fire, c-med, etc., but not much else. I know that Naugatuck PD uses partial encryption, so is it used so often that it isn't worth listening? I'd also like to listen to CSP. I don't want to invest in a new radio and find out there's not much to listen to.

N1GTL

Database Admin
BCD996P2

436/536 are too complicated for most users. The newest 100 model seems to have tons of bugs yet to be worked out.

eschmec

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply and recommendations - I'll check them out.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I have the 996P2 and love it (just wishing for a NXDN upgrade) mainly because I have two of the original 996 models. I live in Ansonia so Derby PD is crystal clear, Stratford and B-port fire come in really nice for me as well on the digital side. The majority of the agencies in NH County and Litchfield are analog, especially up your way, the database here has everything listed.

If you get some good programming software lice the Butel or ProScan programming files, programming is a lot easier.

eschmec

Premium Subscriber
Izzy, your response brought what I really needed into focus. The newest 100 would have been overkill. In spite of 2 recommendations for the base 996, I went with what I hope was the comparable handheld 325P2. I really like the portability of a handheld.

Which software do you prefer for programming? Does one seem to work better with this radio?

I know the valley well, grew up in Seymour and went to school at EOB Tech, and worked at Farrel.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I'm waiting on the new SDS100 until a lot of the kinks are worked out. Which like anything new, the first generation of a product usually finds this little quirks. Overall it looks like it will be a solid scanner!

I have used the Butel ARC software in the past but I'm really hooked on ProScan right now. You can download it here on RR. It has everything you want for programming, scanner control and also broadcasting features (if you want to do that). I'm a ham so I do like the different features it has. Both are really good programs, sometimes I utilize both of them but mainly been using ProScan recently.

eschmec

Premium Subscriber
Maybe a silly question, but, what would ProScan offer over FreeSCAN for programming my scanner?

For now I've used FreeSCAN to get up and running with Naugatuck and Middlebury and I've even answered my original post in that Naugatuck PD comes in awesome! I am also receiving Middlebury PD and Fire. The next step is CT State Police - this is where I'll really need help.

scollier

Proscan maybe a good investment as paid ware has better features. I think if you use proscan you can copy and paste straight from rr database to 325 for csp. Also install csern 700 system and test that. Check out YouTube https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=programming+bcd325p2. There's a vid for freescan

Best with luck and have fun
Shawn

Hope all is well izzy. Hey if you really want. eBay a trx1/2 used for cheap. They do Nxdn I think. Noes the time to buy since evetuone wants the 100!

Best

eschmec

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the video links - they're a big help. CSERN is next to install and Waterbury, too. It's all challenging, but fun!

Thanks again to everyone.

WoodburyMan

Late reply but I can pick up Naugatuck just fine over in Central/Western Woodbury with my SDS100. I'm a little over 500ft elevation.

I can get Naugatuck, Waterbury, Southbury, Middlebury, Bethlehem, Waterbury, Watertown, Bristol (encrypted), and weak I can get Southington, Wolcott, Oxford.

At work in Oxford near the airport I get Prospect, Naugy, Oxford, Seymour, Woodbury, Southbury, Middlebury just fine.

eschmec

Premium Subscriber
WoodburyMan, your elevation makes a big difference giving you great coverage. I've had my scanner about a month and a half and I am not disappointed in what I am able to listen to. Naugatuck, Middlebury, Oxford, Beacon Falls, Waterbury, and State Police all come in pretty well, as well as Oxford Airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.