Missing Text Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
I see on this:

Scanner Frequencies: Christie & Walther #2 Trunking System, Ottawa, Ontario

and other systems there are no text tags. There is something in the description column though. Would it be possible for the admins to make some generic text tags based on the descriptions so it will be there when you upload a system to your scanner instead of having to do it manually or a lot of copying and pasting.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Thats what the listeners of the systems are supposed to come up with.
Well in the example I gave the description already has a pretty good identifier that the listeners/submitters must have provided. Would it not be up to the Admin to fill in the Text Tag line based on what was submitted? Then the description line could have something that gives some additional info about the talkgroup.

MFD4305

Here's a Suggestion

DISCLAIMER: I have no interest whatever in the software package I'm about to recommend. I'm simply a satisfied user.

Try FreeScan [see their thread in the software forum]. Using FreeScan's "EZ Grab" feature you choose what columns from a database are uploaded to your scanner, so that it's a simple matter to substitute the RR database entry labeled "description" for the entry labeled "tag."

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Thats what the listeners of the systems are supposed to come up with.
No, this is 100% incorrect.

Well in the example I gave the description already has a pretty good identifier that the listeners/submitters must have provided. Would it not be up to the Admin to fill in the Text Tag line based on what was submitted? Then the description line could have something that gives some additional info about the talkgroup.
You are correct and since it's small, I will take of it shortly.

Last edited:

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
No, this is 100% incorrect.

You are correct and since it's small, I will take of it shortly.
Right-on! That is a sweet database now. That is the best solution since changing the columns I assume would leave you with just the first 16 characters of the description tranposed into the Tag column and not be a very good tag in a lot of cases. I hope some other mods pick up on that and do some updates too. Maybe I should provide some other examples where that could be done. Thanks for taking the time Lou, I will do a reload this aft.

JoeyC

Really? I thought it was up to the users to submit data. I guess the DB admin in this case wasn't doin his job. I stand corrected.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Here are a couple more that would be nice to have the Alpha Tags put in:

Scanner Frequencies: Parliament Hill Trunking System, Ottawa, Ontario

Scanner Frequencies: TimeMCI (800 MHz LTR #1) Trunking System, Ottawa, Ontario

Scanner Frequencies: House of Commons Trunking System, Ottawa, Ontario

I saw a few more but they only have 2 or 3 talkgroups each or they are all identical descriptions so they would not be a big deal to do manually with a little copying and pasting.

Thanks again to all Database Admins for all their work.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Here are a couple more that would be nice to have the Alpha Tags put in:

Scanner Frequencies: Parliament Hill Trunking System, Ottawa, Ontario

Scanner Frequencies: TimeMCI (800 MHz LTR #1) Trunking System, Ottawa, Ontario

Scanner Frequencies: House of Commons Trunking System, Ottawa, Ontario

I saw a few more but they only have 2 or 3 talkgroups each or they are all identical descriptions so they would not be a big deal to do manually with a little copying and pasting.

Thanks again to all Database Admins for all their work.
I dealt with the two smaller ones; however, the larger (TimeMCI) will take someone more familiar with the actual usage of the channels to do. The group names need to be integrated in the Alpha Tag and there are too many named the same thing for me to attempt it.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
I dealt with the two smaller ones; however, the larger (TimeMCI) will take someone more familiar with the actual usage of the channels to do. The group names need to be integrated in the Alpha Tag and there are too many named the same thing for me to attempt it.
Cool. That is a big help at any rate. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.