when do obsolete entires get deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ACU1000

At what point do obsolete or untilized entries get deleted?

For example Harrisonburg City / Rockinham County (Virginia) moved to a new ProVoice system last year and the primary Police and primary Sheriff freqs are still in the conventional listing.

Do they remain as long as a license is valid? And if so, should (could) there be a field in the database to indicate its no longer in use?

???

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
At what point do obsolete or untilized entries get deleted?

For example Harrisonburg City / Rockinham County (Virginia) moved to a new ProVoice system last year and the primary Police and primary Sheriff freqs are still in the conventional listing.

Do they remain as long as a license is valid? And if so, should (could) there be a field in the database to indicate its no longer in use?

???

I think typically when somebody can verify that those entries are obsolete. The reason they are often left intact is because you never know when that agency that just moved to a trunked system will need to use their old system as a backup system. We see this happen with new systems all the time. A new trunked system comes online. Agencies move to it. They then determine that they can't effectively communicate without some changes to the trunked system being made - so they revert back to using their old conventional systems and then migrate back on to the trunked system when things are fixed.

Many agencies continue to retain their backup / old radios and frequencies just in case. So unless there is a good way to verify that a radio system is no longer in use, it is better to leave it in the DB with a note to indicate that it may be used secondarily / as a backup / or may not be in use any longer.

For instance, my county has a low-band frequency used by the Sheriff. the Sheriff's Dept uses their low band at least 50% of the time even though their primary presence is supposedly on the trunked system. To add to that, their license has been expired for some time. So, it's not wise to simply delete an entry simply because the license is expired - since that is not a good indicator of whether or not it's still being used.

If you know for a fact that an agency is predominantly using a new system, or if you know for a fact that an agency has rid themselves of all radio equipment to operate on their old frequencies, you could submit and update indicating that the agency abandoned the old freqs or that the agency is now primarily on the new trunked system. I am sure that if you do that, your state / county admin would look into it.

Mike

Last edited:
A

ACU1000

Point well made.

Frankly, I dont think anything should get removed once its been verified and active.

In my opinion, I think there needs to be fields or checkboxes added to the database to indicate "abandoned or backup" and a field for "unlicensed or expired license" -- who do we talk to ???

Where is the suggestion box?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Now and then I've noticed where (old) and (new) are listed and at times (no longer used) may be listed.

A

ACU1000

How can we suggest new fields added to the database to actually flag "unused" and "unlicensed" - all it needs to be is a checlbox for each field.

Am I the only one that thinks thats a good idea?

A

ACU1000

Thanks MICK

Thats great - request submitted. Not sure how well it will go over, but its a great idea.

I have some old obsolete freqs of some agencies I am trying to remember what they were... had they not been deleted I could find them.

~MICK LEMISH

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Thanks MICK

Thats great - request submitted. Not sure how well it will go over, but its a great idea.

I have some old obsolete freqs of some agencies I am trying to remember what they were... had they not been deleted I could find them.

~MICK LEMISH
Mick,
You can also use the submit button in database page for the county and make the suggestion. Or you can click the collaborate button and make the entries in RR Wiki. If your county has not had any entries, you will need to be the first. Mike ka3jjz would appreciate any useful collaboration and your entry may be part of many to come.

A

ACU1000

Folks, we have a usage tag called "deprecated" just for this purpose.

I am sure there is an explaination of this somewhere for people who are making chages to the database?

Also, Lindsy, perhaps changing the word from depricated to something else for those who arent computer geeks like us who know what it means.

Just a thought?

radioaustralia

VIC Database Admin
Database Admin
Also, Lindsy, perhaps changing the word from depricated to something else for those who arent computer geeks like us who know what it means.

I wouldn't think that it's got anything to do with being a computer geek, I would call myself a geek but honestly had not heard the word previously to be aware of it's meaning. A quick Google search answered my question... A change of term would get my support, other terms such as "inactive" or "dormant" come to mind. Otherwise we shall continue down the yellow brick road!! (now that I know what it means)

A

ACU1000

I really do think the choice of "depricated" is leading to the tag not being properly used.

Where can I see a list of available tags?

I think several tags would be more useful instead...

"backup"
"not-in-use"
"un-licensed"

Drafin

I really do think the choice of "depricated" is leading to the tag not being properly used.

Where can I see a list of available tags?

I think several tags would be more useful instead...

"backup"
"not-in-use"
"un-licensed"

The term is actually "deprecated". Back when I was an English major in college many moons ago the term deprecated was used to describe a word that had been replaced in common speech by another thus rendering the first word nearly obsolete. The first example that comes to mind is the use of the term thee. "Thee" was replaced by "you" in most normal speech a very long time ago thus, "thee" was deprecated by "you".

Unfortunately most normal people don;t know what deprecated means unless they study languages or computers, but the term is very much correct in it's usage here. I really can not think of another term that would mean "nearly obsolete but possibly still in use" better than the current term.

Draf

UTLNOK

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't think that it's got anything to do with being a computer geek, I would call myself a geek but honestly had not heard the word previously to be aware of it's meaning. A quick Google search answered my question... A change of term would get my support, other terms such as "inactive" or "dormant" come to mind. Otherwise we shall continue down the yellow brick road!! (now that I know what it means)

I agree...ditto...

Status
Not open for further replies.