Why are sites now showing with a "-" dash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
Admin
I've submitted numerous updates to the folowing site:
Scanner Frequencies: U.S. Dept. of Defense: Southeastern Region Trunking System, Various, Multi-State

Tonight I noticed this sites now has a 1-xxx in the site listing. When I decoded the information on my radios, Unitrunker or Pro96Com they show up as the correct site number. Example would be, site 1-001 should be site 101, site 1-002 should be 102, etc. When I see it in this format, I'm scratching my head. If I was new to the area and trying to monitor the system, I would be confused by the numbering system on RR has posted.

Was this changed for a reason?

Last edited:

radioaustralia

VIC Database Admin
Database Admin
Was this changed for a reason?

It would appear that a zone has been added to that system. If there were two zones for a system then the first would appear as 1-xxx and the second one as 2-xxx "System Zones are used group sites together for wide-area systems. Once a zone is added to the system all sites must be updated with a zone entry".

If in doubt, Eric would be the guy to speak with about this particular update.

wise871

Database Admin
There are no zones for that system. A lot of the info I provided was from numerous sources. Seems lately when I provide information about that system, be it direct info off the radio display, talking to the Com folks who maintain the system, etc, the info I submit gets changed to something else by the admin. Yes I have explained it once before when it came to talkgroup names and the proper grouping of the talkgroups for that system but I was told politely it was not going to be changed. Thanks for responding to my post.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Actually this has come up in several forums, including this one. When you look at your radio display for a P25 TRS and it says something like T0101 or 101 or something similar; you are looking at a combination number. The last two digits are the site number the leading number is the network (what radioaustralia called a zone). Indeed every P25 TRS has a network assigned to each site. It may the same network throughout a system or it may be a different network for several sites or in one example in the DB for every site.

Believe it or not, the way the scanner manufacturers chose to implement that display was based on the way we here at RR had chosen to display them in the DB. We made an assumption in the past that we could treat the P25 systems much like we treated Omni-Link systems. It proved to be a bad call, as a result we have corrected it and at the same time allowed Omni-Link type systems to use the same format for zones.

Basically all we did is separate the first number with a dash to clearly show it as the network, and left the last number(s) to be the site. The example you linked is a problem in that the government (once again marching to it's own drummer) has reused the WACN, Network, Site numbers over and over at various locations as they expand their use of P25 TRS. Eventually, when they go to tie these various systems together, they will discover the conflicts and you will see system ID's change or site networks change.

wise871

Database Admin
Lou
Thanks for very detailed explanation. I understand the reasoning behind it now.
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.