Cant read database on android

Status
Not open for further replies.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
I tried to pull up the Frequency database on my smartphone today, and it displayed the welcome page, then immediately popped up a dialog that I needed to upgrade flash. I clicked OK, and it said Flash is not available for my device. How can I access the database on a smartphone, that apparently isnt very smart?

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I tried to pull up the Frequency database on my smartphone today, and it displayed the welcome page, then immediately popped up a dialog that I needed to upgrade flash. I clicked OK, and it said Flash is not available for my device. How can I access the database on a smartphone, that apparently isnt very smart?

Here is a sample what I use on my iPhone.

Last edited:

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
That is the page I pulled up, and when I clicked on that Frequency Database, it showed the following screen for a split second before the prompt for flash came up. Then when it says the flash is not available, it dumps me back on the home page.

Swipesy

That is the page I pulled up, and when I clicked on that Frequency Database, it showed the following screen for a split second before the prompt for flash came up. Then when it says the flash is not available, it dumps me back on the home page.

Use Firefox as your browser for the Database and install an old version of Flashplayer that works with Firefox and you can then view the database.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I don't know what Android version you have on your phone. I use the HTML5 Dolphin browser on this Android phone. I know the question of Adobe Flash has recently surfaced on the RR forums and in numerous tech forums. You can find links to Flash APK files and installation instructions by searching the 'net.

The one caveat is I think I read somewhere the very latest Android OS will not support the last of the Flash APK files out there. But the worst that happens is you waste a bit of time searching.

HTH.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Why do they need FLASH on a website for looking up data in the first place? Just so you can click on the state map to select your state? Im not a cell phone guy. The phone says Samsung SGH-i727 Android 4.0.4. I guess Ill just download the database and save it as a pdf file, so I can pull it up on my phone. I dont have any idea what an APK file is, and its my work phone, so I dont think Im going to try to do anything to cute on it. I downloaded Photon browser, and it appears to work after wasting 30 minutes watching an ad before I could use it :)

I really dont know why people use Flash on websites, since its been discontinued, and doesnt support a lot of platforms.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Flash has not been discontinued and is still used on the majority of computers. It has been discontinued for Android and shunned by Apple, but it is still very much alive. It is also often used as an attack point for malware and therefore has many updates for security reasons.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Flash has not been discontinued and is still used on the majority of computers. It has been discontinued for Android and shunned by Apple, but it is still very much alive. It is also often used as an attack point for malware and therefore has many updates for security reasons.

Well, since android and apple make up like 99% of tablet and cell phone users, and video is pretty much intended for those users (video as in Comcast to go, etc), why use a format your intended users cant use? Just seems like they could find something better and still 100% supported.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Click the MOBILE link next to the LOGIN link at the top of the page and you can access the database that way. You just wont be able to access any maps.

Blackswan73

Flash is only for the map portion. Click cancel. Instead of OK. And the page will load. That is how it works on my Nexus. I won't download flash, because there is a nasty virus called the FBI virus that hides as a flash upgrade. It will lock your android up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.