Distance in mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

retiredmich

When going to any State on the Database (US) & i click on a county & high light that CO it will show a RED circle & the mileage it covers. That mileage it show's is that from the middle of the circle ?

Redneck0410

Yeah and usually it's not a concrete number. If you are just outside the circle by a few miles chances are you'll still pick it up.

Sent from my electronic device using Tapatalk

R

retiredmich

Thanks for the reply's , Go to = The Radio Reference Database (United States) click on any State, click on any County, put your mouse on the try angle & high light it, then click on View Subcategory Details, it will show the RED circle
& mileage.

frazpo

Never knew that feature existed .. Thanks for the tip !!!

Me either! However my local area is not very accurate. Will the dbase guys edit that if you give them info?

I am guessing this info is utilized when guys use GPS (which I do) Now I know where that default settings comes from.

R

retiredmich

Now i can go back in to my scanner & redo some of my listings i have programed in to my 106, now i can eliminate some locations that i don't need.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I wouldn't use the RadioReference Database distance to tell you what you should and should not program into your scanner. They are generally a random number entered by a database admin for units that support GPS and rarely reflects the true coverage distance. Real radio propagation depends on things like terrain, height, and numerous other things that is not reflected by the database.

R

retiredmich

Thanks for that info on the millage coverage, now i need to think this one out a little more.

phask

Premium Subscriber
They are not intended to reflect propagation, but to reflect the intended coverage.

The verbiage may be different but not the intent.

ex A county system - a circle covering the county, a city covering the city . Not the fact that one can actually hear it 50 miles away.

From http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Location_Based_Scanning
RadioReference members can submit data for any of these fields where there is none or where there are errors. (Remember, if you are submitting data, that the coordinates and range should be entered for the intended useable area, not the coverage area. For example, if Agency XYZ has a 300 watt repeater that you can hear for miles away from the city, the intended usable area is more likely to be the agency boundary of the city or county. When submitting data to the database you would enter the radius necessary to cover the city or county, not a larger radius to cover the capable listening area of the transmitter.) Users who desire to add Location_Based_Info should become very familiar with RR_Database_Submission_Guidelines before submitting changes to the RadioReference database.

I wouldn't use the RadioReference Database distance to tell you what you should and should not program into your scanner. They are generally a random number entered by a database admin for units that support GPS and rarely reflects the true coverage distance. Real radio propagation depends on things like terrain, height, and numerous other things that is not reflected by the database.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
To add a bit, the circle should just cover the geographic area for the intended agency's geopolitical boundaries. For example, a town 3 miles across would have a circle centered on the town with a radius of about 1.5 miles, even though the actual signal might propagate for 10 miles or more.

R

retiredmich

But the mileage coverage don't that depend on the LOCATION of the County / city per say ?

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
It would be nice of this was cleaned up and fixed. I live in suffolk county Long Island. The New Jersey Interoperability Communications System (NJICS) lists a range of 85 miles. So when I do a zip code search for my area, East Islip Ny, the NJICS shows up in my scan. I was going to make changes in sentinel but I think if the agencies have any updates and I update the sentinel, it would revert back.

Here is an example of what I am talking about In the picture, I am about where the "a" is in West Babylon. So if i set my scan range for 5 miles, it overlaps the range of the site in New Jersey.

In the second pic, the nj state police site lists a range of 40 miles and as you can see, that one too overlaps into new york.

In my opinion, all of these ranges should be reduced. If someone wants to listen to those agencies, and was in actual range to receive them, all they would have to do is either put in the zip code of the agency, or increase the scan range in their "location Based Scanner"

Here in suffolk county, we have 7 police precincts. They are all grouped under a dept called police. It has one gps info field. I drive around a lot and really have no interest in listening to a precinct 6 towns away. I bought a location based scanner so I could set a small range, and be able to hear whats close to me. If I am driving from one precinct into another, I want the scanner to stop the one I am leaving, and start scanning the one I am in..

So I created a favorite list and entered each precinct as its own dept giving me the option to use gps information for each precinct, rather than all in one group, as listed on this site. I studied some gis data for precinct boundaries and went with the rectangle method and mapped out the 7 precincts. When you enter gps info using rectangles, and use a connected gps, it will only run the system when you are with in the rectangle. When you use circles, you set a range in radius and then set a range on the scanner. Sometimes they overlap. but either way, it seems to be working for the most part for what I was looking for.

Attachments

• New Jersey.jpg
    New Jersey.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 250
  • New Jersey2.JPG
    New Jersey2.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If you submit location corrections to the db it will be updated

What exactly is the policy involving the range of a system? Should the radius be covering the agency like Paul mentioned above? I also get a good amount of stuff fro Connecticut as well.

kma371

QRT
What exactly is the policy involving the range of a system? Should the radius be covering the agency like Paul mentioned above? I also get a good amount of stuff fro Connecticut as well.

As said above, its not about reception area but rather intended coverage of the system.

Paul's example is correct.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Thats what I figured I just made a few submissions. I hope the db admins understand and take the appropriate action.. Kind of sucks when I do a 5 mile radius search an get all this stuff.

Attachments

• change.JPG
    change.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 299
Status
Not open for further replies.