Unknown systems in the database

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Why do we have unknown / unidentified trunk systems in the database? Here are 2 examples...

Unidentified Federal Motorola A73B Trunking System, Washington, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

Unknown Richmond-Area Connect Plus Trunking System, Richmond, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

Both unknown and unidentified logically suggest that this data hasn't been verified, which I thought was not what the database is supposed to be used for.

I can understand that having it in the database means that folks can download it and / or have it show up in the downloads for the various scanners that have the db like the 436. But isn't the database for validated data only?

This is a bit contradictory....Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As an alternative, how about putting these systems in an 'Unknowns' section, much like is being done now with Deprecated systems.

Mike

freqhopping

Hardly unknown or unidentified, just that the exact users haven't yet been identified. Putting them in some place where people won't know of their existence or have to go looking for them won't help with identification.

The A73B system has always been 100% encrypted as far as I know, making it impossible to ID users. And since unknown talkgroups are frowned upon in the DB, there are no submissions. What is there is accurate though. I know of 23 talkgroups.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That's exactly what it says in the db....1 says unidentified, the other says unknown. That's hardly a qualification of 'validated data'

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just to reinforce the point - from the submission guidelines wiki...(emphasis mine)

Do not submit unidentified information. The RadioReference.com administration team prides itself on the accuracy of the database. Submissions with unidentified information will be rejected and not posted.

In addition, see section 6.1 of the DBA Handbook

Mike

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
The system isn't unknown
Since the trunked system is online & System Type, System ID, WACN, Connect Tone/Site NAC, Site number is all known and confirmed/'validated data.
Some new systems we might be waiting for active talkgroups to come on the air.

Some system might not have any talkgroups on the air at this time. But the trunked system is on the air.
The system info should be available to everyone on RR. Everyone can start keeping track of the new system progress and wait/watch for talkgroups on the 'new' system.

If the system is online(on air) and it should be added in the database.
Just like how Eric added the new 001 system in California and used the "Unidentified" word for the system name at this time.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8391

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

I think that, if a system actually exists, then it should be in the database.

freqhopping

Well, what do you know? I'm getting some comms in the clear on the A73B system. So far on two different channels. Had to fully program it into my 436HP since it's not in the database. Hard to tell there is any activity because it skips over the encrypted stuff. I've got 28 talkgroups logged though.

For some reason my 396XT won't track it but will show activity when parked on the control channel. I'd like to run Unitrunker with one of my scanners to confirm the band plans, but I've been having issue with USB cables and drivers.

Essentially hiding systems like this are hardly going to help identify them.

Status
Not open for further replies.