Old Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
I have been debating whether this should go in this forum or in the Rants forum but since it concerns the database, I'm going to post it here.

Next week I'm headed for a major city in the Midwest and I have been working on some HP-2 favorites list for the trip. While working on the list for the airport in this city, I found the database here on RR lists frequencies for Eastern Air Lines and TWA. Eastern last flew in 1991 and TWA last flew in 2001. There were also some listings for another defunct airline that last flew in 2008 that was based in this city.

The issue is not just confined to Aviation frequencies in the Database, I've run across outdated information for other agencies and areas that I have traveled to over the last several years. Another thing I have noticed (and this is a still-evolving thing) is that conventional frequencies listed turn out now to be DMR or NXDN.

I know that the database depends on information submitted from all of us here on the forums and I know that I need to do my part also to keep my local area updated but I'm not sure if I need to be submitting changes for areas that I may just pass through from time to time when I'm sure that someone on here may have better knowledge of their local areas. I guess I'm just asking that maybe we all need to review the Database for our respective areas to make sure everything is as updated as possible. This is especially important since we have the Zip Code-based scanners on the market now.

Anyway for what it's worth.

mciupa

I don't see this as a rant at all. It is a suggestion for improvement for all of our benefit.

I hope everyone heeds your advice and we get some of the garbage weeded out.
Thanks for bringing the issue forward. :)

D

DaveNF2G

As the OP points out, the database primarily depends upon user submissions. There have been complaints (whether valid or not) from some users about DB Admin intervention at times. However, perhaps it should be acceptable practice for DB Admins to go ahead and weed out such common knowledge anachronisms as the OP mentions.

As an aside, I'd be careful about removing all listings for Eastern Airlines automatically, as there is a new entity now flying under that name.

Status
Not open for further replies.