System Location vs Site Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg

Premium Subscriber
In every system I look at, when you drill down a Site, you get Site Location twice. The first one should be "System Location". Unfortunately it is like that within every site in every system in the database.

System Name: Connecticut State Police
Site Location: Statewide, Connecticut
Site Number: Decimal: 001 / Hex: 1
Site NAC: N/A
Site Unique DB ID: 920
Rebanded: Yes
Site Description: Troop G
Site County Location: Fairfield
Site Neighbors: 31, 32, 33, 74
Site Location: Wide area simulcast

chris

Voyager

The first one looks correct. I would say the second one should be SYSTEM TYPE or SITE TYPE.

What does a non-simulcast system look like?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The first "Site Location" is the location for the system as defined on the main system information page, displayed on the main DB page for the system.

The second one ("Wide area simulcast" in the OP's example) is the location for the site itself as defined in the site configuration, only displayed on the Site Details page.

The first one would be better titled "System Location" rather than "Site Location".

Voyager

Perhaps, but when you are looking at Site info, it is showing site info.

The first is a general description of the site (which generally does not apply to simulcast systems), and the second is the specific location of that site.

For example, your house may be Anytown, USA, but the specific location is 123 Main Street. They are both describing your house location just as above both are describing the site location, not the system location.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Edacs single site TRS
System Name: Hartford (City)
Site Location: Hartford, Connecticut
Site Number: Decimal: 001 / Hex: 1
Site Unique DB ID: 1231
Site Description: Main
Site County Location: Hartford
Site Neighbors: N/A
Site Location: N/A
Site Modulation: N/A
Site Notes: None
Latitude N 41.7667668
Longitude W -72.7662075
Range 23 Miles

cg

Premium Subscriber
It isn't a big deal but I thought it was strange to have two identical descriptors. The different opinions of what it means indicates to me that there is confusion.

chris

Voyager

Using your example above, the second (more specific) location might be "atop city hall" which would be different (more specific) than the first one. But, I'm not sure "System Location" wouldn't cause even more confusion. Maybe the second could be "Site Location Detail".

But, when you have site names that don't match the proper names of the sites, or are distinctly confusing, the rest becomes moot. What makes it worse is when you used to have correct names but an admin decides to change it to something he prefers seeing.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Voyager, you're wrong. The first one is set by the data that the DB admin enters into the System Information data block. It has nothing to do with the site (except that it's errantly labelled the site location on this page). There's no need for arguing back and forth about it - it's simply a typo Lindsay needs to fix.

scooter1968

CG, i have the Uniden BCD 396 XT
when you click on "new system"........that is when you put it if it is a P25,EDACS, or whatever have you...........i live in Spokane, WA and my system name is SRECS (Spokane Regional Communications System)..........when i click on system site, there is where i put in the tower sites for my area.....i hope it helps

Rick from Spokane, WA

Voyager

Voyager, you're wrong. The first one is set by the data that the DB admin enters into the System Information data block. It has nothing to do with the site (except that it's errantly labelled the site location on this page). There's no need for arguing back and forth about it - it's simply a typo Lindsay needs to fix.

OK. And an admin has confirmed that?

It makes sense that the Hartford TRS would have a Hartford Site, and that a statewide simulcast TRS would have a Statewide "site".

I see a number of them that have "Various" which describes the Sites, and not the Systems, as they are all one system.

The second block is usually an address while the first is a city location, so they are not duplicates. See post 4. It makes sense that this same concept would be what is in use, and that the admin who told you it's a system location is wrong.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I'm not going to argue with you. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the main page for a trunk system, see the value in the second bloody line (which says "Location: Multiple Locations, AB" in the example I linked), then click on any site in that system, and see the exact same text shown in the second line of the system description, erroneously described as 'site' instead of 'system'. Good God, it's not that hard.

And yes, smart***, an admin - or at least a retired/resigned one - me - has confirmed it to you.

Voyager

It was a question, Jay, not an argument. That's what the ? means at the end.

I was not aware that past admins were kept up to date on current admin issues. Thanks for that clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.