Main Data page for New York questions & requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
In the Areawide Trunking Systems in New York section, on the bottom of the page here, New York Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference it lists the same system 2 times. Is this normal? Can we get the Onevoice system in there, or under Misc areawide frequencies in New York

There is also a section that says,

"New York State Agencies

Frequencies for New York public safety agencies"

Is this meant to be only NYS agencies? I ask because even if its just public safety related agencies, why are the following 4 listed there when there is no public safety on those agencies or in those listings.

Capital District Transportation Authority
Onondaga County Water Authority
Rochester-Genesee Regional Transportation Authority
Central New York Regional Transportation Authority (CENTRO)

One last request. in the quick jump, for Nassau, Suffolk and New York City, can we add one for "All Trunked Systems in (that county or city) added? One click to the trunked system in that area would be very nice

Thanks

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
A duplication in the Areawide Trunking Systems is not correct. Thanks for noticing and reporting this.
Also, the Onevoice system should appear there. In the meantime for the Island and City, you could add your favorite trunk systems to your My RR watch list to appear on your Home Page until that issue is resolved as well.

A Global Database Administrator can make the changes you have requested.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
mciupa

A duplication in the Areawide Trunking Systems is not correct. Thanks for noticing and reporting this.
Also, the Onevoice system should appear there. In the meantime for the Island and City, you could add your favorite trunk systems to your My RR watch list to appear on your Home Page until that issue is resolved as well.

A Global Database Administrator can make the changes you have requested.

Just bumping this.

mciupa, should I make a submission or can you have a db admin take care of this?

Thanks

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
Actually, the 'official' way to report something like this is to use the submit tab...go here...

New York Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

and look at the far right, above the DISCUSS and WIKI buttons for a tab marked 'SUBMIT'. That's where change requests like this one are supposed to go - at least, officially...

Mike

Yes, please follow Mike's instructions.

There are Global Admins that should be able to handle the request.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Actually, the 'official' way to report something like this is to use the submit tab...go here...

New York Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

and look at the far right, above the DISCUSS and WIKI buttons for a tab marked 'SUBMIT'. That's where change requests like this one are supposed to go - at least, officially...

Mike

Yeah, thanks for that. I am aware how that works. Since most of whats described in the first post was about restructuring info on a db page, I asked here for clarification as to how things should be (policy) and what should be where (policy)...I was not looking to submit info to only be rejected. And since mciupa seemed to agree on 2 issues, I feel confident the proper changes will happen...

Yes, please follow Mike's instructions.

There are Global Admins that should be able to handle the request.

I made the submission. Hopefully it gets fixed.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I'll take a look at it. The NY listings have been on my back burner while some other RR projects are a little more critical. I've been looking at the state level pages for some time.

Some of the difficulty are how state agencies are actually setup and operated (NY State, not RR.com) and how it was translated into the DB over the years.

On the otherhand, because things have been listed in a certain way for so long, there is a tendancy for a few people to make really large stinks in the NY section when anything is moved, even if its for the greater good.

So,in the coming month or two, watch for changes - subtle and major. It will follow a standard format. The issue will be stragglers that are listed in multiple places and will be missed (ie state or regional level information listed in 15 different counties duplicating the same information).

As for agencies such as Capital District Transportation Authority, public safety was used (guessing) so that it shows up in the regional database - as the catagories we have to pick from only gives up a few options. It appears that if its tagged federal, it will go into the area wide vs statewide. That's something Lindsey will have to look at and I'll reach out to him. So depending on the tag, is which of the two they will pop in at.

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

CDTA, RGRTA and NFTA are not really statewide. They are regional.

Perhaps the state level needs a "Multiple Counties" category, similar to the "Multiple States" category for entities that are not truly nationwide.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
It was a limitation of an approriate tag "behind the scenes" that caused it to be statewide. Lindsey was able to make a "transportation" tag that causes such agencies to be sorted under the areawide category.

All is well

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Anything that helps to better organize and clean up the main NY page is always welcome and appreciated.

D

DaveNF2G

I agree with dave3825. The RRDB admins might have made some different decisions from what I would have done, but they deserve a lot of praise for their untiring efforts to make it all work better. They received a lot of information from a source that was incompatible with the Wiki or the RRDB, yet they've been shoehorning it in pretty successfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.