RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > Database Discussion Forum

Database Discussion Forum - This forum is for questions about the database such as how to use it, layout or usability issues or suggestions for improvement. It is not for pointing out wrong information or getting help with programming.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 1:53 PM

Default Frequency Database: New uploads are not overwriting previous data

I happened to search my own FCC licenses by freq and/or call sign, and I noticed that Radio Reference's database, when you uploaded new, recent data into the database, the records are not overwriting existing ones. If you search, for example (which was in a recent thread):

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/...S%20PARK%20LLC

The results pages contains 45 records, but it's the initial data/records but duplicated 2 more times. So it's shows the same data three (3) times, that I'm calculating. Maybe it's 4 times, but it should only show 15 rows (or less), not 45. I also searched my own FCC call signs, and the same there, hundreds of duplicates rows.

Just wanted to bring that to you attention !!!!!
Sponsored links
Old 08-06-2017, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpsa View Post
I happened to search my own FCC licenses by freq and/or call sign, and I noticed that Radio Reference's database, when you uploaded new, recent data into the database, the records are not overwriting existing ones. If you search, for example (which was in a recent thread):

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/...S%20PARK%20LLC

The results pages contains 45 records, but it's the initial data/records but duplicated 2 more times. So it's shows the same data three (3) times, that I'm calculating. Maybe it's 4 times, but it should only show 15 rows (or less), not 45. I also searched my own FCC call signs, and the same there, hundreds of duplicates rows.

Just wanted to bring that to you attention !!!!!
The listing shows a row for each unique combination of information found on the license.

Entity Callsign Frequency Units Pag CODE Svc City
PALMER MOTORSPORTS PARK LLC WQXJ519 153.00500 1 0 FB2 IG PALMER
PALMER MOTORSPORTS PARK LLC WQXJ519 153.00500 225 0 MO IG
PALMER MOTORSPORTS PARK LLC WQXJ519 153.00500 225 0 MO IG PALMER
Old 08-06-2017, 3:45 PM

I understand that part, but as an example. If you look at 153.00500 FB2 row. In the "FCC database" there is only 153.00500 FB2 record, at 1 fixed site. The 153.00500 FB2 is listed 6 times of the 45 rows. So I understand each how each row of data will show, but why is 1 FCC row listed 6 times in your database, why not once? What makes it appear in 5 more times (i.e. row), is my specific question.

Thank you
Old 08-06-2017, 4:01 PM

Not "my" database - just commenting on what I see ... Still, as I said, it seems to be combinations of unique data based on the way RR expands it ...

For the frequency you mentioned, there are both FB and MO records on the FCC license. The FB row is listed as being in PALMER and the MO record lists lat/lon. I suspect it's further duplicated because the frequency(ies) are licensed for both analog and DMR emissions as well as the number of transmitters/radios recorded on the license data.

It's obviously not an optimal presentation on RR but it's a fairly normal (simple) way to show all of the combinations of the various fields assigned to a given frequency.

It is difficult to show relational/non-flat data on a flat table (hence the reason for relational databases).
Old 08-06-2017, 4:40 PM
Technischer Guru
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Raw, unedited FCC data

What you're seeing, as noted by another commenter, is each different permutation of the raw FCC data as downloaded from the FCC database.

RR doesn't alter the data in any way, it's simply raw data as received from the FCC. We make it available in this manner so advanced users can parse the data to suit their own needs.

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Sponsored links
Old 08-06-2017, 7:28 PM

copy that, as I understand your explanation now. Not a problem, as I had thought there might have been an error issue, but negative. Thanks gentlemen for looking in to it!