This looks like a mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There appears to be 2 db entries which, on the surface, should be just one.

Here's the first

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9923

and the second

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8263

This is suspicious. The sysid, system type and system voice are identical. Yet one is listed as 'FleetNet / Silke Communications' while the other is 'Silke Communications'.

We now have 2 nearly identical and almost duplicate articles in the wiki for these 2.

The question is: which is right?

Mike

mciupa

The original from 2016 (California sites) would likely be the one to keep. Oregon can be migrated into the Cali system.

A Global DB Admin could tidy this up into one package.

kma371

QRT
The issue with that is several site numbers in Oregon would duplicate those in California. I wouldn't be for migration due to that issue.

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I would agree with KMA371 at the moment and motion to hold off for a while until we figure out how this system as shown on the Silke Fleetnet communications page is put together and how roaming is done.
Silke's page shows a system encompassing Canada to Mexico coverage as well as states further east.

Steve
WA,ID,OR DB Admin

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
D

DaveNF2G

I suggest looking at the OneVoice system in the northeastern US as a template for multiple operators of a multi-state network. Obviously duplicate site numbering would add some challenges.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The issue with that is several site numbers in Oregon would duplicate those in California. I wouldn't be for migration due to that issue.

Another question to ask is, are these truly a single system, or are they two separate systems sharing a system ID to permit "pseudo-roaming?"

The duplicate site numbers and lack of zone information if there is such a thing on Nexedge (separate zones would permit reuse of site numbers) make me think the latter.

The best option right now is to name one "Silke Communications (CA)" and the other "Silke Communications (OR/WA)" pending verification as to whether they're truly connected or not.

little-hoot

They are two separate systems; the Washington & Oregon system, and the California systems. From what I have heard they are close to the maximum number of sites in each system.

Status
Not open for further replies.