RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Delaware Radio Discussion Forum

Delaware Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Delaware.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 7:10 AM

Default New Castle County "Squads"

I notice while listening to New Castle County that on Tac 3 I hear some companies designated Squad such as Squad 14 and Squad 9. Are these fire apparatus? And how does this match up with the apparatus designation ( I.e. Engine 14-2 Engine 14-3) or is it a special services unit?
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2017, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by policefreak View Post
I notice while listening to New Castle County that on Tac 3 I hear some companies designated Squad such as Squad 14 and Squad 9. Are these fire apparatus? And how does this match up with the apparatus designation ( I.e. Engine 14-2 Engine 14-3) or is it a special services unit?
I'm thinking it's a Rescue pumper.
Victory5318@gmail.com
Old 03-15-2017, 5:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

With the adoption of 'plain language' vs 10-codes, a lot of companies are using descriptive names instead of the station-number system. For example, 45-6 may be announced as 'Rescue 45', although Kent Center will recognize it as 45-6 from it's radio ID on the P25 system.
Old 03-16-2017, 3:05 PM

Thank you. What number are the rescue pumpers typically designated?
Old 03-16-2017, 4:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Typically, rescue/rescue-pumpers are designated as -6. I was looking through Kent County's stations, there are some that are numbered other than -6. With that said, numbering is at the discretion of each fire company. I can tell you they were -6 in the early 80's through mid 90's as a standard.
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2017, 7:56 PM

Ok great thanks.
Old 03-30-2017, 1:48 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I believe there is a difference between a squad and a rescue engine. I think squads carry some extrication equipment while rescue engines carry more, such as Hurst tools. If you go to Christiana's website, they have a Powerpoint presentation regarding the changing of apparatus ID's. They also have a checklist for the rescue engine.
Documents - Christiana Fire Company

In Newark, a few of the engines are now called squads, such as 9-5 and 7-4. It was interesting when they first switched over. Fireboard had to correct them when they went on air with their old designation.