*Using XTS3000 as Scanner for Delaware*

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirelesscop

Hey Everyone,

Would it possible to use an old XTS3000 or other model radio as a scanning radio to monitor the Delaware Digital Radio System?

There are a ton on eBay for under $200 including programming the unit.

I am just looking to have DSP Recom, WPD and NCC fire in programmed into it.

I know that it would need a FLASHCODE. How would I find out WHAT version flashcode it would need in order to work with the Delaware system?

Can anyone recommend a local place that would be able to program a radio?

Thanks in advance!

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
The State of Delaware Public Safety SmartZone system?

You could, but you'd need the CPS software, programing cable, a functional knowledge of programming the CPS, a System Key and knowledge of how to set up the radio without affiliating. A scanner is far easier unless you need a radio you can punish.

wirelesscop

Hi and thanks for the reply and information.

So, I purchased this software:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263619762468?ul_noapp=true

I am looking to get this radio:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-X...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I'd like to fool around and try and get it programmed. As far as a KEY... Is that "public knowledge" or is that something I need to get from a radio shop, etc?

IF I decide I don't want to attempt to program it, there are people on eBay that list "programming services."

Do you think they would have the key and all needed info to set the radio up?

What do you mean "set up the radio without affiliating?"

I just want it to RECEIVE. I don't need / want the ability to transmit.

Thanks.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The "key" is a file that lives on the computer used to program the radio. The software won't allow you to program a radio with trunked systems unless you have the unique key for that particular system. You'd have to get the key from the system owner/ administrator, and system owners don't give system keys out.

There are also hardware keys that are an actual USB dongle that gets plugged into the computer.

'People on eBay' probably don't have the system keys either. Possession of system keys that you're not authorized to have can create legal liabilities for you that you might rather not have.

When a radio gets turned on, or every time you change channel, the radio affiliates with the system it's listening to, by actually transmitting to it.

Instructions on how to program and avoid affiliation is out there on the interwebs, but you will still need that system key.

Good luck with that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-X...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I'd like to fool around and try and get it programmed. As far as a KEY... Is that "public knowledge" or is that something I need to get from a radio shop, etc?

IF I decide I don't want to attempt to program it, there are people on eBay that list "programming services."

Thanks.

Last edited:

crazyboy

In addition the above, that’s the wrong software for a XTS3000. I won’t even touch on it being an illegal bootlegged copy of the software.

com501

Thanks.

In a great many jurisdictions, doing what you intend is a felony. Scanners don't get you jail time. This is why the methods you need are rarely talked about. Put your new toy on the ham band and get a license if you don't have one.

clbsquared

As alluring as it may be to have a public safety radio that "monitors" a digital trunking system, it's just not a safe option. As small as Delaware is, it wouldn't take anytime at all to sniff out a rogue radio if it is programmed incorrectly. Not to mention you've already posted on a public website what your intentions are. And honestly, if you are not familiar with how these radios operate or how to program them, just buy a scanner. That's the only safe and legal option there is. I'm not trying to sound harsh or come down on you, but rogue radios that are programmed to trunking systems illegally are doing more harm to the hobby than good. Buy a scanner and call it a day. Lest you end up with a brick for a radio because the system admin sent an inhibit command.

mm

You are already off to a very bad start so I suggest listening to all the above advice and maybe buying a scanner.

The issues that I see are as follows:

1: You purchased cps for the xts5000 when you indicated you intend to purchase an xts3000, why would you purchase Astro25 xts5k cps and not cps for the xts3k?

2: Do you have the correct programming hardware for the xts3k?

3: Do you have a suitable pc to program an xts3k?
Xts3k cps does not operate on a newer operating system so you would most likely need windows xp to run the cps?

4: Since you have no idea what a system key is maybe before spending any more money I suggest that you go to your nearest moto shop and ask them to make a sys key for the desired system for you and report back here on the outcome.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer

Thanks.

You need the System Key to program a trunked system into an XTS3000 radio. You can find out the System Key, but they you need to be able to generate it. Motorola considers that proprietary information. They can be found though ... and then loading it into your radio and having your radio affiliate is then a criminal act.

When you program any Motorola Radio for Trunking it is designed to only work if it affiliates with the trunking system. There is also no option in the CPS for "Receive Only" with Trunking. Conventional yes, there a box you can check off for RX only, but not trunking.

There are ways to set the radio up to not affiliate, but you need a functioning knowledge of the Motorola Astro Portable CPS software and radios.

I have one XTS2500 set up for RX only, to do that, I had to open the radio and physically disable the PTT button. There is no other way. This radio however affiliates with the system, and has a valid authorized System Key.

I know of no eBay programming services that will program trunking systems. They would need system keys.

Last edited:

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Please, please, please have a very good idea of what you're doing before you do anything with no-affiliate scan programming in a transmit-capable radio. Especially on a multi-site system like Delaware. If you pull a TG's traffic off one site because you 'accidentally' affiliated an in-use ID on another site, and someone misses a message on that TG and dies because of it, that's entirely on you - forget legality, that's a body on your conscience.

Educate BEFORE you buy. Educate BEFORE you program. Educate BEFORE you even think about thinking about doing any of this. Make sure you know what you're doing.

Seeing all that purchasing and fiddling on a whim before asking the basic questions that need to come way in advance of those moves... that scares me.

Status
Not open for further replies.