Yaesu going to a LMR/Mototrbo type radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPSan

The Dawn of Digital Communications in the Amateur Radio World

Another DIGITAL player coming soon to the amateur world.....Download the pdf for interesting read.

"2012 will be a historic year that sees Yaesu lead Amateur Radio into the modern era of Digital Communications."

Welcome to Yaesu.com

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
This is gonna be a long read.. Thanks for sharing... Nice to see something other than D-Star in the pipes...

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
My takeaways:

-Vertex-Standard is NOT going to do anything with D-Star. The stop short of calling Icom out, but their inference is that it is inferior, outdated and old hat digital technology compared to TDMA based protocols.

-They are going to pursue any future digital amateur radio product lines based on accepted LMR platforms, either DMR or TETRA.

-They will have a mobile and portable VHF/UHF digital radio out this quarter.

I think this is a great way to break it to the ham community that Yaesu is not going D-Star.

It will be interesting to see what product line they pull from-I say it will be DMR.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I, for one, am glad for it. Competition only benefits the consumer. It's been too long coming. This should drive the prices for digital capable ham radios down a shade.. Hopefully making them more affordable .

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
DMR (MotoTRBO) would be nice. Looks like Yaesu is going with C4FM FDMA and TDMA.

Through VERTEX, they already have digital equipment for public safety P25, and some new
equipment for MotoTRBO with the VXD series DMR radios.

There is a DMR MotoTRBO ham repeater on the air right here in Raleigh NC (K4ITL, 442.5125).

This HT would work great here....Vertex VXD-720. Analog and DMR.
http://www.vertexstandard.com/lmr/Digital/VXD-720

http://www.vertexstandard.com/lmr/r...dard_Digital_Strategy_Announcement_030910.pdf

Last edited:

Thayne

Interesting & informative reading, but still just something to sell the folks.
(Might as well try to sell more of the same engineering and circuitry already in the LMR pipeline)

I would imagine any ham over 40 will be pushing up daisies by the time there is any meaningful market penetration of digital in the amateur market.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Interesting that vertex is introducing both a 12.5KHz FDMA digital HT and mobile AND a 12.5KHz TDMA digital HT and mobile...should be interesting over the next 12 months or so

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Competition only benefits the consumer. It's been too long coming. This should drive the prices for digital capable ham radios down a shade.. Hopefully making them more affordable .
That might be true if there were real competition. Until then, I doubt it.

Icom is offering D-Star in the amateur world and has NXDN and P25 radios in the commercial world.

Kenwood has no digital radios in their amateur line, but has NXDN and P25 radios in their commercial line.

Now comes Yaesu-Vertex (which is owned by Motorola, by the way) with hints at some future digital amateur radio offerings with an unknown protocol. Their commercial division has DMR and P25 radios.

The problem I see is that there is no standardization of protocols, with the exception of P25. Until there is a standardized digital voice protocol that is widely accepted in amateur radio, then there is no real competition. Until the day comes when you can go to either of the "Big 3" Japanese amateur radio manufacturers and buy a radio that will work with the others' radios, prices for digital amateur radios will remain high.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Oh, there is at least one obvious error in Yaesu's document.

On page 15, the document states "In 2003, the APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System) was introduced to amateur radio."

The first experiments with APRS were conducted in the mid-1980's. In 1993, Bob Bruninga WB4APR published a paper at the TAPR Digital Communications Conference describing APRS. The first commercially-available amateur radio with APRS was the Kenwood TM-D7 introduced in 1998.

luminoxs

True, but I have never seen one manufacture bad mouth another. I personally would want a 2 time slot TDMA system over D-STAR. I don't think you can put two D-STAR systems back to back on 6.25. Even though TRBO is 12.5, you get two voice channels on a single repeater. I wounder if this radio will work on existing TRBO systems....

990adv

Just wonderful! I am so looking forward to buying more radios to be able to communicate on local repeaters as I drive through different areas.
ICOM needs to allow other companies full, unfettered access to D-Star.

VK5ZEA

It's a pity that the digital amateur radio market is going to be just as fragmented as the digital commercial market. Will the Yaesu/Motorola love child be an "open standard"? At least Icom only owns the name D-Star and not the protocol.

Is there any indication on how the radios will identify? I am familiar with P25 but not DMR. Does it allow for an amateur callsign as ID, or is it a numerical/hex network ID?

I wonder if Rayfield will be opening up the protocol that their C-Bridge box uses that allows the DMR repeaters to talk to each other over the internet. If not, then it's just as bad as Icom with repeater owners having no choice but to purchase a C-Bridge (a proprietary product) in order to operate.

Will the C-Bridge work with non Motorola DMR repeaters?

Lots of questions that I hope have favourable answers.

Last edited:

stevelton

This is interesting.
I dont believe in having just one standard digital mode for amateur radio. I think that should be decided in local areas and groups. Our group here has started migrating toward Icom IDAS NXDN for amateur radio. I know of some other groups moving toward P25, and many otehr using D-Star. I have played with each, and they are all interesting to me. If I had the money, I would buy one of each. But for now I will just put my money to what I think would be good for me and the area I live in, which is NXDN.

However, If Yeasu is coming out with an amateur radio that will use a digital mode originally developed for LMR, then I can see a time coming when someone will come out with a P25 ham radio, and NXDN.

I am wondering, since TRBO is TDMA, yeasu is saying the first radio is going to be FDMA. Is this going to be phase 1 P25, or NXDN?

Steven

NgoraSweatr

Just some guy, ya know?
Everyone with all of this speculation...read the PDF...the type of modulation is in there.. So is a picture of the prototype unit.

The first unit will be C4FM FDMA (IDAS/NXDN compatible emission identifiers) and the second will be C4FM TDMA.

Expected Q1/Early Q2 2011.

VK5ZEA

The JARL D-Star spec does allow for 4FSK modulation in addition to GMSK and QPSK, Icom chose to settle on GMSK, not sure why.

The Yaesu document goes on a bit on how GMSK is "old fashioned" and the C4FM is the "future" of digital radio in amateur radio.

I agree that GMSK is an older technology... but using older tech is not always a backwards step.

mancow

Database Admin
If they release a dual band DMR portable I would say they will be far out in the lead.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

mancow said:
If they release a dual band DMR portable I would say they will be far out in the lead.

Dual band, dual mode would put them way out in the lead!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.