dstar

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottb908

Feed Provider
I have been reading a lot on the star technology. I was wondering is it worth getting into at this point. It doesn't seem like theres a lot of recent activity in regards to the technology, a lot of the forums don't have a lot of postings. Since its a digital mode I can't listen to it with my scanner so wasn't sure how active this technology actually is.

scanphreak

You might want to go to some dedicated dstar forums or websites and check with them. it's pretty active depending on where you're at. just because there isn't a lot of talk about it on radio reference doesn't mean it's not getting used.

trace1

I have been reading a lot on the star technology. I was wondering is it worth getting into at this point. It doesn't seem like theres a lot of recent activity in regards to the technology, a lot of the forums don't have a lot of postings. Since its a digital mode I can't listen to it with my scanner so wasn't sure how active this technology actually is.

D-STAR is very active in some areas and almost non-existent in others. The info that Git-R-Done posted should give you a good starting point.

Yes here in Alabama there are several D-STAR repeaters across the state that can be linked together in the event of state-wide disaster. Unfortunately as of right now our D-STAR repeater, from the Calhoun Co. Amateur Radio Association in Anniston AL, that is located on Mt. Cheaha, the highest point in Alabama, is no longer connected to the "Gateway" which is how all the repeaters are linked. Here is a link to our club's website. Home - Calhoun County Amateur Radio Association

Just for informational purposes when I first got into D-STAR I was using a 7watt H/T with a 5/8 wave mag. mount antenna and was able to hit the Tuscaloosa Tall Tower from my location in Anniston AL which is over 100 miles away. If you're looking into getting into D-STAR you can do that even without a D-STAR radio. You can get the DV-DONGLE, DV Dongle

As far as picking up D-STAR on a scanner, that is not going to happen as there are no known scanners capable of decoding it. However ICOM does make a receiver that is D-STAR compatible. The IC-R2500 but you will need to buy the additional D-STAR board to install.

k8tmk

I monitor a D-Star repeater in Chicago. You would think that I would hear a lot of activity from such a large city. Unfortunately, the most I hear is the repeater IDing itself.

For about a week, I could hear hams in Great Britain talking, but nothing like that since. I think someone must have left the gateway open during that time.

Randy

N8IAA

Finally decided to get Dstar since Yaesu is going their own route. Picked up an IC-80AD at HRO ATL on saturday. Can't wait to start talking on the ham radio again. Been doing more monitoring than talking.
Larry

wb0wao

If you are in an area that has a D-Star repeater, then go for it. If not, then IMHO it would be a waste of money. A D-Star repeater is ungodly expensive compared to a standard analog repeater. Last I checked it is about $3K for the required controller and one RF deck - and the D-Star repeater will only do D-Star, not analog.

I am not a D-Star basher by any stretch, but you need to have a well-heeled club to have a D-Star repeater - $3K for the controller/RF deck just itself, plus a set of cans, feed line, antenna, tower rent, and a connection to the internet. I would love to operate D-Star, but the closest repeater to me is in St. Louis. There is a small club locally that currently supports two analog repeaters (of which I am a member), and even after all the dues are paid at the end of the year, we don't even have the amount needed to just get the controller/rf deck in the treasury! There has been some informal chat in the club about having some type of DV repeater, and we did discuss D-Star - and we rejected it due to the initial cost as well as its inability to operate in analog mode at all. We knew that there was no way to get the membership to spring for $3K and then everyone have to get a $400 - $600 radio on top of that to even use it. Getting them to agree to spend $1.5K for a good, used dual mode Quantar or even a new dual mode TRBO machine in which they could still use their analog radios until they could get a DV rig would be a much, much easier sell.

W2NJS

Nothing worse (well, almost nothing) than buying a special-mode radio and finding that you have no one to talk with. The current ARRL Repeater Directory has many pages of D-Star repeaters listed, so maybe that would be a good starting point in your search. Another source would be a local radio club which has a leaning toward VHF and UHF operations. Where I live the P25 repeaters outnumber the D-Stars slightly and we have, AFAIK, no NXDN activity at all.

N8OHU

If you are in an area that has a D-Star repeater, then go for it. If not, then IMHO it would be a waste of money. A D-Star repeater is ungodly expensive compared to a standard analog repeater. Last I checked it is about $3K for the required controller and one RF deck - and the D-Star repeater will only do D-Star, not analog.

I am not a D-Star basher by any stretch, but you need to have a well-heeled club to have a D-Star repeater - $3K for the controller/RF deck just itself, plus a set of cans, feed line, antenna, tower rent, and a connection to the internet. I would love to operate D-Star, but the closest repeater to me is in St. Louis. There is a small club locally that currently supports two analog repeaters (of which I am a member), and even after all the dues are paid at the end of the year, we don't even have the amount needed to just get the controller/rf deck in the treasury! There has been some informal chat in the club about having some type of DV repeater, and we did discuss D-Star - and we rejected it due to the initial cost as well as its inability to operate in analog mode at all. We knew that there was no way to get the membership to spring for $3K and then everyone have to get a $400 - $600 radio on top of that to even use it. Getting them to agree to spend $1.5K for a good, used dual mode Quantar or even a new dual mode TRBO machine in which they could still use their analog radios until they could get a DV rig would be a much, much easier sell.

I just spent $375 on an old Kenwood TKR-820 analog repeater to use for D-Star; there are others out there that have done the same thing with other brands of commercial repeaters. You could even use one of your existing repeaters and add a PC (which you would have to do anyway for the gateway) and run the repeater controller and gateway software written by Jonathan Naylor G4KLX; that's what I'm doing.

Matthew N8OHU

N8IAA

After buying the 80AD a couple of weeks ago, went to a local hamfest and picked up a DVAP at a really good price. My biggest concern was how to get into one of the local repeaters without going to an outside antenna. The DVAP solved that, plus, I can access more than one reflector. I know that there are a lot of areas that P-25 is built out with more repeaters than DStar, but, my metro area is using DStar not P-25. I've found it to be more used than the local 145/440MHz analog repeaters. Made contacts in Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and South America. It is great for ragchewing (which is the way I personally like to opreate:)). Been a ham for over 27 years, and for the first time since the 80;s when 2m SSB was good, I'm enjoying the amateur service again.
Larry

KC9AXZ

You can make D-Star as active as you want it to be. If there is no D-Star activity in your area you can purchase a DVAP (Digital Voice Access Point). This is a simple USB device that creates your own RF hotspot. You can use your DVAP to connect to any active Reflector or linked repeater. I have a DVAP even though there is a established D-Star repeater less than a mile from my house. The DVAP is a real conveineint way to operate. I can use the local repeaters any time I'd like to, but the DVAP allows me to monitor reflectors that would normally tie up the repeater. I regularly connect my DVAP to a busy reflector and when the repeater is dead I can chat all I want and anywhere I want.

Jon KC9AXZ

Status
Not open for further replies.