New Icom digital dual bander

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4KVE

Icom has a new 2m/440 ht that is analog/digital. It amazes me why these companies don't listen to us, the buyers, & release radios that aren't what we want. The radio is the ID-51A which is a dual band version of their ID-31A UHF HT. The digital format is GMSK, which I gather is GSM, like the cell phones use. Is there a big demand for this? If they were smart, they would have picked up on Yaesu's blunder, & made a FM/TRBO radio, as many people want this, & there are plenty of TRBO networks, & repeaters on the air. Are there any GSM systems, or repeaters in North America yet? While I have my MotoTRBO equipment, there are those who don't, & someone could do well to come out with a 2m/440 FM/TRBO radio. Check it out on Rigpix. GARY N4KVE

W2NJS

Gary,

The first Google listing for this radio says it's a D-Star unit.

Hope you are doing well these days.

Regards,

Tom, W2NJS

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

It is another DStar radio. Not sure how it relates to GSM, but the modulation type is GMSK, cannot remember the name of it but a quick google will give you that answer. I do not believe it is releated in any way to cellular GSM. There are lots of DStar repeaters in north america and around the world except for France. The club I belong to has a 144Mhz, 440Mhz, 1200Mhz voice and 1200Mhz data stack of DStar repeaters.

Last edited:

nd5y

It is probably just another D-STAR radio. GMSK (Gaussian Minimum Shift Keying) Is the modulation that D-STAR uses.
GSM also uses GMSK but at a faster rate and in TDMA.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

nd5y said:
It is probably just another D-STAR radio. GMSK (Gaussian Minimum Shift Keying) Is the modulation that D-STAR uses.
GSM also uses GMSK but at a faster rate and in TDMA.

Thanks, I did not know GSM used GMSK modulation. I learned something new, thanks!

N4KVE

When I went to Rigpix, & looked at the spec's for this radio, all I saw for digital was GMSK. I didn't see D-Star mentioned anywhere. Since I never heard of GMSK, I went to Wikipedia to look it up. Besides a bunch of technical jargon, i saw this quote. "GMSK is most notably used in the Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM)." Nowhere was D-Star mentioned in the Wikipedia article either. But now of course it makes sense that Icom would make that a D-Star radio. So I guess today I learned that D-Star is GMSK. Hey Tom. I'm doing fine. My BP is 125/70 w/o any BP meds. Hope you are well too. GARY N4KVE

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Might be interested in this radio hopefully someone will post a Video of it and demostrating as well.

JPSan

Posted this link and it SAYS - D-STAR!!!

When I went to Rigpix, & looked at the spec's for this radio, all I saw for digital was GMSK. I didn't see D-Star mentioned anywhere. Since I never heard of GMSK, I went to Wikipedia to look it up. Besides a bunch of technical jargon, i saw this quote. "GMSK is most notably used in the Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM)." Nowhere was D-Star mentioned in the Wikipedia article either. But now of course it makes sense that Icom would make that a D-Star radio. So I guess today I learned that D-Star is GMSK. Hey Tom. I'm doing fine. My BP is 125/70 w/o any BP meds. Hope you are well too. GARY N4KVE

D-STAR !

I guess people don't look very carefully at what this link CLEARLY states. At least 5 times...Oh, well.....again...:lol: If you read this link and go towards the end of the article there is a link to a PDF the explains the radio in exact detail, the ICOM product flyer.

New to the Tokyo Ham Fair 2012, the ID-51A/E Dual band D-STAR Handheld « Icom UK Blog

D-STAR !

Last edited:

N4KVE

D-STAR !

I guess people don't look very carefully at what this link CLEARLY states. At least 5 times...Oh, well.....again...:lol: If you read this link and go towards the end of the article there is a link to a PDF the explains the radio in exact detail, the ICOM product flyer.

New to the Tokyo Ham Fair 2012, the ID-51A/E Dual band D-STAR Handheld « Icom UK Blog

D-STAR !
Sorry, went to Rigpix first, then went to Wikipedia, then came here to make the OP. But if we all learn something new every day, then it's a good day. I guess a few of us learned today that D-Star, & GSM are first cousins. GARY N4KVE

kf4sek

Might be interested in this radio hopefully someone will post a Video of it and demostrating as well.
It will be identical to the ID-31A in operation. There are a few videos on the 31A on YouTube. Said to have the same features as the 31A but will be 2M & 70cm bands whereas the 31A is only 70cm.

And, I just realized that this is an old thread. Even though, the FCC still has yet to approve the HT for use in the US.

Last edited:

grem467

I was pretty excited about the ID-51A, but the excitement is waning the longer it takes to bring to market. Seems the radio is vaporware at this point.

N8IAA

The 51 has been approved and is shipping the end of this month. This is according to an Icom rep I met at the manufacturers day at HRO Atlanta. If you check the Universal Radio website, it shows the FCC approval with price T.B.A.. And it is D-Star.
Larry

grem467

I just checked the universal radio site and the information still says the same thing it has said for months:

Order #0051
List Price: T.B.A.
Your Price: T.B.A.

Return to HTs

This device has
not been approved
by the F.C.C

Where did you see updated information?

N8IAA

I just checked the universal radio site and the information still says the same thing it has said for months:

Order #0051
List Price: T.B.A.
Your Price: T.B.A.

Return to HTs

This device has
not been approved
by the F.C.C

Where did you see updated information?

Please read my post again:) The answer is there.
Larry

N8OHU

Icom has a new 2m/440 ht that is analog/digital. It amazes me why these companies don't listen to us, the buyers, & release radios that aren't what we want. The radio is the ID-51A which is a dual band version of their ID-31A UHF HT. The digital format is GMSK, which I gather is GSM, like the cell phones use. Is there a big demand for this? If they were smart, they would have picked up on Yaesu's blunder, & made a FM/TRBO radio, as many people want this, & there are plenty of TRBO networks, & repeaters on the air. Are there any GSM systems, or repeaters in North America yet? While I have my MotoTRBO equipment, there are those who don't, & someone could do well to come out with a 2m/440 FM/TRBO radio. Check it out on Rigpix. GARY N4KVE

Why in blazes would they support a commercial system like DMR (of which MotoTRBO is Motorola's variant) when they have their own competing commercial system and an Amateur RAdio specific system? I fail to see anything truly useful in DMR with the possible exception of TDMA, which could easily be added to a future variant of the D-Star protocol; everything else people go ape over has no business in the radio, in my opinion.

Matthew Pitts
N8OHU

grem467

While i did misread your post, my point still stands. It has said that on the universal radio site for months and the radio is no closer to release than it was then. This radio seems to be vaporware. Months come and go without any progress. It looks like it would have been a nice radio, but sadly im tired of waiting on it. Now to decide what to buy instead...

I do not see where it says it has obtained FCC approval. Quite to the contrary it STILL says "This device has NOT been approved
by the F.C.C." Nor have I seen ANY statements that it will be released at the end of December or any other month. I am quite sure an Icom rep told you that information, but I also know they are sometimes the LAST to know about product releases.

Last edited:

N8IAA

I just repeated what I heard from the Icom representative. I could have heard wrong:( I haven't seen a change either on Universal or the HRO websites.
Larry

dmaria

I just repeated what I heard from the Icom representative. I could have heard wrong:( I haven't seen a change either on Universal or the HRO websites.
Larry

Not entirely true :) The retail price has been updated on Universal Radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.