DSTAR registration help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
There is a d* repeater in my town and they used to have a server up. For some reason it is no longer in place. The 2M and server have been removed while the 440 side is still on the air.

Anyway, my question is, when the server was there I had registered with is. Now that it is down do I need to register some where else?

Obviously I wont (grrrrrrrr) be able to use the gateway on the repeater here but I would like to be able to while traveling. And eventually get a d-vap or dv-dongle.

kf4sek

As far as I know, no you do not need to re-register. As long as you registered once, even if they removed the local server, you should still be registered with the US Trust National Server. I have confirmed this with a D* sysop. No need to re-register.

73!

Last edited:

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
Great! Thanks!

Bonus tho, found out tonight it looks like it should be getting set up again here!

grem467

I have been "not approved" for a month now. I have about had enough of this stupid waiting. Seems like DSTAR isnt very new user friendly to registrations.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
I think that's the local system admin that's dragging his feet.

grem467

And that is the rub, all of the instructions say not to go register at another repeater. Truth be told this is the SECOND repeater i have tried to register at, the first one sat there for a month as well. I see nowhere to contact admins on either repeater, and am very frustrated by this process. I dont want to go from repeater to repeater until I find an admin that will not "drag his feet" for a month, but what else can I do?

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I would feel the same way.

I would think there has to be someway to find the owner(s). If its a club maybe try and contact them?

grem467

I tried finding contact info, but it just led me back to the administration page. I guess i will try one more system then IDK from there.

Denverpilot

They can't stop you from registering somewhere else. Just don't register in TWO places. That breaks stuff.

(Sysadmin for W0CDS here. Totally burnt out on it too. Haven't even turned on a DSTAR radio in years but once you're the Linux server geek, you're in the job forever. It's what I do for a day job so I'm stuck with that trash heap of software Icom released ten+ years ago and hasn't updated. Yup. Build from source when there's fully supported package managed binaries of all that stuff, Icom. Totally clueless.)

Once registered its done forever. The whole point of registration in Japan is that it's required by their regs. Over here, the registration module should have been ripped out of the software it serves zero purpose other than to annoy everyone.

Why? You can spoof any registered callsign you like in your rig. The registration offers zero real security over anything.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
Craig,

Thank you for the link! It shows me on there. Now just to get the system set back up here!

Jonathan

N8OHU

They can't stop you from registering somewhere else. Just don't register in TWO places. That breaks stuff.

(Sysadmin for W0CDS here. Totally burnt out on it too. Haven't even turned on a DSTAR radio in years but once you're the Linux server geek, you're in the job forever. It's what I do for a day job so I'm stuck with that trash heap of software Icom released ten+ years ago and hasn't updated. Yup. Build from source when there's fully supported package managed binaries of all that stuff, Icom. Totally clueless.)

It's my understanding that people have found ways to update the supplied software and fool the system into thinking it's using the "required" versions.

Once registered its done forever. The whole point of registration in Japan is that it's required by their regs. Over here, the registration module should have been ripped out of the software it serves zero purpose other than to annoy everyone.

Why? You can spoof any registered callsign you like in your rig. The registration offers zero real security over anything.

Actually, if they had ripped out the registration, DPlus wouldn't be able to authenticate the DV-Dongles and DVAPs, as that's what Robin uses for them from what I've been able to gather; it's also how ircDDB Gateway equipped D-Star gateways can pull off connecting to DPlus Reflectors. But, you're correct that registration isn't needed to use D-Star as can be shown by the number of non-Icom D-Star Repeaters there are.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Admins

Well, it is a "best effort" service, but apparently some admins are lax in checking who has pending requests to register.

I think more than a few days is unreasonable unless someone is on vacation or unavailable due to work.

Please advise the callsigns of the two gateways and I'll "finger" them on the Gateway Admin list.

Dependent on their responses, we will take affirmitive action to get help you registered on US Root.

There are two parts to registration, once you callsign is approved, then you must log in and add at least one terminal under personal information in order to propagate your callsign to the gateway servers.

This is not rocket science and the admins should not be so diffident, assuming they have received your requests by email.

On behalf of the diligent DStar admins on US Root, I apologize for the less than exemplary courtesies that you have received.

Craig KV5E

grem467

I used W4DOC and never heard back. I lost interest in this after I could not get registered and sold off the radio. I have a very bad taste in my mouth over this whole dstar thing. I appreciate your help, but at this point its not needed.

KE6TIV

Hello All:

New forum member with a question: Is there a rule-of-thumb as to how long one should expect to wait for the local admin approves the registration request?

If no response following an email, can one safely register at the next closest repeater?

Should one first re-submit the online request?

Thanks for any help!

Bob KE6TIV

W9WHF

I have been "not approved" for a month now. I have about had enough of this stupid waiting. Seems like DSTAR isnt very new user friendly to registrations.
Bob and Others:
I messed up the original registration follow-up e-mail because I didn't have the instructions handy (or so it seems). If I check the registration check-up page I am properly listed on the Nashville repeater KI4SDI C.
Unfortunately I am NOT listed in the Gateway listing (I guess) because I cannot access reflectors other than receive only. To make matter worse, the remote function on KI4SDI is apparently down. I bought a DVAP as a workaround, only to find out I am not registered in the trust server (???) but I am "in the system".
I've contacted the sysop on two systems (Also Memphis) AND NO REPLYS.
I have three radios I cannot use and no solutions. HELP!
Garry
W9WHF

N8OHU

Bob and Others:
I messed up the original registration follow-up e-mail because I didn't have the instructions handy (or so it seems). If I check the registration check-up page I am properly listed on the Nashville repeater KI4SDI C.
Unfortunately I am NOT listed in the Gateway listing (I guess) because I cannot access reflectors other than receive only. To make matter worse, the remote function on KI4SDI is apparently down. I bought a DVAP as a workaround, only to find out I am not registered in the trust server (???) but I am "in the system".
I've contacted the sysop on two systems (Also Memphis) AND NO REPLYS.
I have three radios I cannot use and no solutions. HELP!
Garry
W9WHF
The whole damn system is screwed up, to be honest. There isn't a real need for registration for the average user, but because that's how the system works (when running the Icom gateway software and DPlus add-on) everyone is forced to do it or be limited to talking on the local repeater only. It would be nice if they would just drop the G2 gateway system and adopt the ircDDB approach which doesn't require user registration.

kf7yn

My local administrator told me "the d-star gateway software doesn't notify me when people attempt to register". If that is true system-wide, it explains why people grow old and frail waiting for approval.

DarkStarPDX

My local administrator told me "the d-star gateway software doesn't notify me when people attempt to register". If that is true system-wide, it explains why people grow old and frail waiting for approval.
The local administrator can easily set up software to be notified when people register. I even get a push notification on my Android phone when someone registers.

D-STAR Gateway Registration Notification

Status
Not open for further replies.