Eastern MA NXDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmget

I am considering getting a VHF NXDN radio at some point in the future. We have a couple UHF NXDN systems here in CT, and soon should have a VHF one as well. I hear the due to PAVE PAWS, it is hard to put 440 repeaters on the air in Eastern MA.

My question is what is the coverage of the VHF NXDN systems? Once in awhile, I travel to Cambridge via I-90, and I also travel south on I-495 near the Attleboro/Taunton area. I noticed Taunton has a NXDN system. How far do some of these repeaters reach? Can I get to any on the Mass Turnpike?

Thanks,

Bob
KD1ZD/WQIJ767

n1oty

Premium Subscriber
There are currently four NXDN repeaters on the air in eastern Massachusetts. I am the club secretary for the group in Taunton that has three of these NXDN repeaters on the air (Taunton, Plymouth and Swansea). Taunton and Swansea are digital-only repeaters. Plymouth is mixed analog/digital. I doubt any of our repeaters will carry up into Cambridge or up to the Mass Pike. The Taunton repeater carries up 495 into the Franklin area. It also covers the Attleboro area well. I believe you will also see good coverage of the Attleboro area from the Swansea machine.

The Taunton NXDN repeater is also connected to the worldwide NXDN network. Talk Group 65000 puts you on the network. Any other TG makes the repeater go local use only. We have plans to ultimately bring the other two repeaters onto the network as well.

There is a mixed mode NXDN repeater in Norwell, operated by another group, that I suspect should cover into Cambridge.

John
N1OTY

shmget

Thanks for the info. I'm going to be getting a UHF radio first, but hope to get a VHF one soon. Both systems in CT are mixed mode as of right now, and the Bristol one is linked into the WW system. Once I get set up maybe I'll hear you sometime.

n1oty

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I talk with Cliff, K1IFF, quite frequently on one of the CT linked machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.