Kenwood TMV71A and Radio Over IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I have a Kenwood TMV71A and would like to setup a private Radio Over IP link. Any suggestions on software?

box23

I have a Kenwood TMV71A and would like to setup a private Radio Over IP link. Any suggestions on software?

A quick run down of available linking technologies in general...

Echolink
  • Radio oriented
  • Windows only software for "SysOp" mode
  • Not able to link without access to the public internet and by going through their servers
  • Public nodes often get numerous connections, referred to as drive-bys, with nothing said by the station. You end up hearing "Connecting..." and "Disconnecting..." messages in short order
  • A majority of nodes are not set up properly with issues ranging from over/under-deviated audio to propagating all repeater output to connected stations including courtesy tones, IDs, announcements even when not using an over the air link to the system.

TeamSpeak
  • Not radio oriented, no provisions for direct interfacing
  • Separate out of band signaling required for PTT/COR, time lag between voice frames and control data not synced
  • Ability to run independent of Internet on private LAN/WLAN
  • Miscellaneous other features that might add value
  • Multiple OS support

IRLP
  • Proprietary radio oriented system, single source of hardware
  • No connections allowed to/from other linking systems
  • Internet dependent?
  • Linux only

Asterisk
  • Open-source PBX telephone system
  • Several developers with amateur radio background
  • Radio oriented module, app_rpt
  • Ability to interface with equipment from simplex base up to full duplex repeater
  • Can act as entire repeater controller
  • Several interfacing options including DIY modified USB sound cards, commercially produced USB sound cards, and commercially produced boards
  • Capability for voting and simulcasting radio networks
  • Ability to link when one or more locations are behind a firewall such as cell-based mobile nodes
  • No internet required
  • On a single server both phone PBX and radio systems can run independently or with configurable interconnections
  • Multiple network layouts are able to be used from single nodes on individual servers to multiple nodes on one server linked to several more on one or more additional servers
  • Linux only
  • Can connect to Echolink, capable of connecting to IRLP but that function was removed at the request of the IRLP owner
  • You can be a part of the growing AllStarLink network
  • The list goes on....

I would suggest looking into Asterisk/app_rpt. There is somewhat of a learning curve, especially if you are new to Linux, but the possibilities really are endless.

I tried to cover everything but I appologize if a missed something.

Hope that helps you be more informed.

N8OHU

A quick run down of available linking technologies in general...

Echolink
  • Radio oriented
  • Windows only software for "SysOp" mode
  • Not able to link without access to the public internet and by going through their servers
  • Public nodes often get numerous connections, referred to as drive-bys, with nothing said by the station. You end up hearing "Connecting..." and "Disconnecting..." messages in short order
  • A majority of nodes are not set up properly with issues ranging from over/under-deviated audio to propagating all repeater output to connected stations including courtesy tones, IDs, announcements even when not using an over the air link to the system.

A couple of points here. thelinkbox and SvxLink exist as Sysop Node options for Linux and MacOS, and QTel (part of SvxLink: is an available client for those platforms, but it requires port forwarding to work. The "drive-by connects" can be dealt for the most part by limiting the stations that are allowed to connect; audio issues are a stickier issue, as that is something that most people don't bother fixing, especially the link audio issues you mentioned.

TeamSpeak
  • Not radio oriented, no provisions for direct interfacing
  • Separate out of band signaling required for PTT/COR, time lag between voice frames and control data not synced
  • Ability to run independent of Internet on private LAN/WLAN
  • Miscellaneous other features that might add value
  • Multiple OS support

IRLP
  • Proprietary radio oriented system, single source of hardware
  • No connections allowed to/from other linking systems
  • Internet dependent?
  • Linux only

Asterisk
  • Open-source PBX telephone system
  • Several developers with amateur radio background
  • Radio oriented module, app_rpt
  • Ability to interface with equipment from simplex base up to full duplex repeater
  • Can act as entire repeater controller
  • Several interfacing options including DIY modified USB sound cards, commercially produced USB sound cards, and commercially produced boards
  • Capability for voting and simulcasting radio networks
  • Ability to link when one or more locations are behind a firewall such as cell-based mobile nodes
  • No internet required
  • On a single server both phone PBX and radio systems can run independently or with configurable interconnections
  • Multiple network layouts are able to be used from single nodes on individual servers to multiple nodes on one server linked to several more on one or more additional servers
  • Linux only
  • Can connect to Echolink, capable of connecting to IRLP but that function was removed at the request of the IRLP owner
  • You can be a part of the growing AllStarLink network
  • The list goes on....

IRLP Experimental Nodes can be connected to AllStar Link via the rtp-dir channel driver, but the IRLP channel driver was removed as you mentioned.

I would suggest looking into Asterisk/app_rpt. There is somewhat of a learning curve, especially if you are new to Linux, but the possibilities really are endless.

I tried to cover everything but I appologize if a missed something.

Hope that helps you be more informed.

I added my 3 cents; and if anyone wants to get in touch with me via Radio over IP, I can be reached at Echolink Node 749507, AllStar Link node 28913 or D-STAR DExtra Reflector XRF669 A.

Status
Not open for further replies.