Echolink and 4G-LTE Jetpack 6620-L

Status
Not open for further replies.

teknishun

I have echolink installed on 2 laptop devices and it works great.
I use both a verizon wireless aircard and also a wi-fi connection
direct to my home router.

For Christmas I got a Verizon Wireless 4G-LTE Jetpack 6620-L
mobile hotspot. This device connects to the Verizon 4G network
and then will allow up to 15 devices to wi-fi into the Jetpack
acting as a wi-fi hotspot.

When I use the Jetpack I can connect to anything and everything
on the internet. I do not have any problems with anything.

Except echolink. When using the Jetpack echolink will not connect
to anything at all, not even the test server.

How do I make the Jetpack work with echolink? Surely someone else
out there has a wi-fi hotspot and is using echolink. Help !!!

teknishun@aol.com KF5OPQ

sswcmw

The Verizon LTE hotspots do not allow port forwarding. The unfortunate thing is they give false hope since there is an option in there for port forwarding.

If the application or server you are attempting to connect to is not smart enough to allow for the client data to come from any UDP port above 1023, and be sent back to the same port number it originated from, then it will not work.

For example, you will never see the data from your side come from port 5198 or 5199. It may come from port 34567 one time, and 6543 the next. That is the nature of how Verizon runs their network, and it makes perfect sense from a networking standpoint. But the downside is that it breaks an application that is written poorly.

davemcfarland

sound advice

I noticed that they just do not support anything but UDP.. if you try to connect on any other ports, with typical networking.. it fails or loses connection.. they only do voice well..

sswcmw

Well, I have to admit that we have had excellent success with Verizon LTE hotspots. We are currently running 8 of them. But Verizon, unlike in the past, does not give each hotspot a public facing IP address. So with several hotspots sharing the same public IP address, Verizon is forced to use port address translation, so you can only use them in an environment that does not require a dedicated port.

N8OHU

The Verizon LTE hotspots do not allow port forwarding. The unfortunate thing is they give false hope since there is an option in there for port forwarding.

If the application or server you are attempting to connect to is not smart enough to allow for the client data to come from any UDP port above 1023, and be sent back to the same port number it originated from, then it will not work.

For example, you will never see the data from your side come from port 5198 or 5199. It may come from port 34567 one time, and 6543 the next. That is the nature of how Verizon runs their network, and it makes perfect sense from a networking standpoint. But the downside is that it breaks an application that is written poorly.
In this case, it sounds to me like Verizon is blocking the UDP ports, since the Windows Echolink client DOES support sending the data back on the same port it came from. Using a proxy server may be the only hope, unless you want to try getting a fixed IP address for each; it costs $500 USD, but you only have to pay it once.

Status
Not open for further replies.