RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Digital Voice for Amateur Use

Digital Voice for Amateur Use - Discuss use of digital voice technologies on the amateur radio bands. This is to include technologies such as VoIP, P25, DMR/TRBO, NXDN, D-STAR, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 4:12 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default CS700 mic options

Hello all,
I'm looking for recommendations on an external speaker/mic for my new CS700. I've read a lot of good & bad on the subject but no one seems to recommend a model or part number. I don't mind if I have to do some surgery to remove or change a resistor or whatever.
My CS700 arrived about a week ago, late December 2014. It is fresh from connect systems and works perfectly in every way. People I have spoken to say I sound excellent.
I will order a mic as soon as I find the right one and will repost the results.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored links
Old 02-02-2015, 8:33 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

My friend is using this. PMMN4013 - Remote Speaker Microphone with 3.5mm audio jack - Motorola Solutions USA
Old 02-02-2015, 9:17 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thank you, Gary.
Do you know if he likes it?
Trying to compile a list of yeys 👍 & nays 👎
Old 02-02-2015, 10:07 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

These mics work well with the CS700. Be warned any mic you use you will get a loud pop from the speaker each time the radios audio amplifier turns on to pass audio. More noticeable on digital.
Old 02-02-2015, 3:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1CYN View Post
Thank you, Gary.
Do you know if he likes it?
Trying to compile a list of yeys 👍 & nays 👎
He likes it, but I'm sure there are cheaper choices.
Old 02-02-2015, 6:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That is one area I didn't have much luck in. Many complain about low tx audio with the CS700 but mine works fine UNTIL you add a speaker mic for some reason.

I've used the cheapo special and the Motorola one above and both have extremely low tx volume on analog or digital for me. When the mic is off the radio works wonderfully.

The M mic is a good choice but hopefully you won't have the issue I did.

Jerry is working on the new FW with audio control capability for both the radio and any speaker mics attached to it so I imagine the problem will be solved regardless.

Jerry also sells a speaker mic for the radio that numerous people have said is real good so you might also want to give him a shout. I can't remember the price other than low but I'm sure someone here can chime in.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:34 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I bought my CS700 and external mic in September 2014. I checked the external mic and it did not have the resistor installed. It looks like only the earlier models had the resistor.

I've been told by several people that my Motorola HMN9030A speaker mic with the CS700 sounds better and has more audio than the CS700 speaker mic.
Old 02-14-2015, 5:00 AM

I used a impact speaker mic for mind and it seems to do just fine. I would try impact mic or go along with the new cp200d mic that are rated for digital. If you want a impact mic contact me via pm and I can get you a good deal as I'm a rep for them.
Uniden=396T/996T, TRX-1
Old 03-19-2015, 6:44 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONBOOTS View Post
I own that as well for my 700 & love it. Works like a charm...

Sponsored links
Old 04-12-2017, 3:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2SJW View Post
I own that as well for my 700 & love it. Works like a charm...
Just for clarification, does the PMMN4013 have the proper capacitor (or whatever else) to filter out digital noise (i.e. Motorboating)? I only ask because it's officially marketed for Moto Analog radios...
Old 04-12-2017, 3:49 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg1604 View Post
Just for clarification, does the PMMN4013 have the proper capacitor (or whatever else) to filter out digital noise (i.e. Motorboating)? I only ask because it's officially marketed for Moto Analog radios...
The cause of the motorboating is from the people using cheap $4 speaker mikes that do NOT use shielded cable. The cable usually runs by the antenna, & when transmitting, the RF penetrates the non shielded cable. Any decent mike that uses shielded cable will not have the motorboating problem.
Old 04-12-2017, 3:55 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Correct. I never had any issues using the Moto mic on my 750.

Sent from may Galaxy S6 via Tapatalk 6

Old 04-12-2017, 7:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
The cause of the motorboating is from the people using cheap $4 speaker mikes that do NOT use shielded cable. The cable usually runs by the antenna, & when transmitting, the RF penetrates the non shielded cable. Any decent mike that uses shielded cable will not have the motorboating problem.
Recently I was looking for a speaker mic for an MD-380. I tried 2 products from HRO, a PRYME SPM-2101 & Kenwood SMC-32. Neither were cheap, and both exhibited Motorboating. I ended up getting this unit and it worked great, it was half the price of both speaker mics I tried from HRO. I had the impression the Pryme and Kenwood units were both shielded, but they lacked either a capacitor or some other feature to filter out digital noise. But, I'm not totally sure about this.

In any event, I also need a new speaker mic for my CS-750 (the stock one has a terrible PTT button!), so I'll go ahead and get the PMMN4013. (I was originally looking for a PMMN4046A-type unit with the extra red button and a connector that fit the CS-750. However, it appears Moto doesn't make such a product...)
Old 04-12-2017, 8:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Funny. The Kenwood mike is a favorite for DMR users where the mike plug allows it to be used on the Dollar Store radios.
Old 04-14-2017, 3:00 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I use both the PMMN4013 and the HMN9030A on my CS700 and 701. No one has ever told me I have low audio or any noise on my signal.

Ed
Sponsored links
Old 04-14-2017, 8:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Follow up to my original post.
Bought Jerry's mic and it works great all around. Great price too. Only drawback is no jack for earpiece.

The M and other mics didn't work on the 700 upgraded to 750.
Old 04-15-2017, 9:13 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have 4 Motorola Mics. Two are AARMN4025B with ten pin modular plugs, One is NMN6191C and One is PMMN4051B, both with large lock in plugs with earphone jacks. Could any of these be used for what you want?
Old 04-16-2017, 5:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB4BF View Post
I have 4 Motorola Mics. Two are AARMN4025B with ten pin modular plugs, One is NMN6191C and One is PMMN4051B, both with large lock in plugs with earphone jacks. Could any of these be used for what you want?
They would have to fit the two-pin Kenwood style connector. After further reflection, I'm pretty sure this connector style doesn't have enough pins to accommodate the extra red button, in addition to the speaker and microphone.
Old 04-25-2017, 3:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg1604 View Post
Recently I was looking for a speaker mic for an MD-380. I tried 2 products from HRO, a PRYME SPM-2101 & Kenwood SMC-32. Neither were cheap, and both exhibited Motorboating. I ended up getting this unit and it worked great, it was half the price of both speaker mics I tried from HRO. I had the impression the Pryme and Kenwood units were both shielded, but they lacked either a capacitor or some other feature to filter out digital noise. But, I'm not totally sure about this.

In any event, I also need a new speaker mic for my CS-750 (the stock one has a terrible PTT button!), so I'll go ahead and get the PMMN4013. (I was originally looking for a PMMN4046A-type unit with the extra red button and a connector that fit the CS-750. However, it appears Moto doesn't make such a product...)
UPDATE: I recently acquired the PMMN4013 via Amazon for my CS-750, it works great and the PTT button is way better than the stock unit provided by Connect Systems (plus it has the audio jack).

Tags
cs700, low audio, mic, microphone