500 dollar Yaesu C4FM Repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
I just found out that Yaesu is selling the C4FM Repeater for 500 dollars. You have to call the directly. I have seen them retail as high as 1 thousand elsewhere. This sounds to good to be true. I called Yaesu directly and the confirmed it. Wonder why they are lowering the price ?? Maybe they are not selling as many as they had planed for? Or is it s guaranteed wat to get you to buy a 500 dollar radio to go with the repeater?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
It's simple: they want to get System Fusion repeaters into the hands of repeater owners to get them deployed in the field. It's a heck of a deal, but from what I was told, it is a rebate program.

If I didn't have an MTR2000 and a stack of other Vertex repeaters (VXR7000 and VXR5000) and could swing the cost and wait for the rebate, I would replace my 16 year old MTR2000 which has a failing power supply. A refurbished MTR power supply would cost what Yaesu is giving away the Fusion repeaters for, and the DR-1X can operate in a hybrid mode (digital and analog).

Keep in mind that to network the DR-1, you need to add the Wires-X HRI-200 network controller to link to other Fusion repeaters, and a high speed internet connection at your site with at least an 8MB/sec throughput.

Icom did a similar promotion back in 2005/2006 when D-star was commercially introduced. IIRC, the promotion entailed the purchase of buying 10 D-star subscriber radios, and you got a free D-star repeater (no controller/network interface, you still had to pony up the grand or so for that part).

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Yes, the deal is reality...at least until the end of March. A new DR-1X repeater, which can be either 2m or 70cm and which can be either analog, digital, or both using System Fusion's Automatic Mode Selection, for $500. The suggested retail price is around $1800. The deal is only available to "clubs" and I believe you have to have an existing repeater coordination to put the repeater on. You also agree to actually put the repeater on the air and not re-sell it for a year. This is not a rebate. You send Yaesu $500 and they send you a repeater. ...Until the end of March.

You can find the application on Yaesu's web site. Go to the DR-1X repeater page and click on the Files tab. You should see a listing for "DR-1X Installation Program Application". Download that PDF file, fill out the application, and send it in to the Yaesu office in California.

Clubs are recognizing that they can replace aging repeater equipment and/or get involved in a new digital voice mode at a very affordable price. There is one System Fusion repeater on the air in the Indianapolis area and it seems to be working fine. I know of at least 5 other applications that have been made by clubs in the Indianapolis area.

The program has proved to be very popular and there is a bit of a backlog. I have direct knowledge of an application that was made around December 20 and the projected ship date for the repeater is late March.

As for $500 System Fusion user radios, yes, the FTM-400DR mobile retails for around $500. OTOH, the FT-1DR handheld can be had for around $280.

Last edited:

n9upc

Just to add on to the thread:

The application can either be mailed or emailed (the best method) and you must include your credit card information, they will not bill the $500 until the repeater actually ships.

Also the back log is pretty severe right now as my application went in before Christmas and we are looking the end of Feb/March for a delivery time frame.

Yaesu is doing Fusion and doing it right! They have created an infrastructure component that is both analog and digital -AND- is VHF or UHF right out of the box and even can be setup in a crossband fashion. Please name me any other repeater commercially built that is capable of this.

Also by doing a program such as this it releases the technology to the masses and does not cause it to be segregated off like other digital technologies have had issues with and continue to do so.

mancow

Database Admin
Or, they could have waited and rolled it out when everything was ready and had people staffing their booth at Dayton that knew the difference between a radio and a boot full of piss. A dumb guy like me might be lead to believe it would have resulted in quite a few more sales.

n5ims

This is somewhat like a "loss leader" where they sell you something at or below cost to get you in and then sell you other stuff at a normal price. In this case, they're selling the repeater to clubs to get the mode out there so club members (and others) will then purchase the radios that they can use on the repeaters.

offsite

Premium Subscriber
Yep, the old Gillette razor concept... give away the razor to make your money selling the blades that fit it.

We got on the 'list' for the repeater but also bought five Fusion HTs off the shelf at the same time... and, likely that's just for starters... :)

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Yaesu is doing Fusion and doing it right!

Sorry, I must disagree with you. If Yaesu was doing it right, they would have come up with a way to link multiple repeaters, in digital mode, on RF. Also they would also designed it to be link able with out needing each repeater to have a unique and separate internet connection.

I just do not understand why, when DMR and DStar can both be linked over a private, Internet independent IP network, did Yaesu decide to force every one to use the Internet to link repeaters together. If I'm building a network of repeaters, I do NOT want to have to rely on the Internet to link them digitally.

They have created an infrastructure component that is both analog and digital
but when analogue conversation is occurring, a digital one can't. IMHO kinda defeats the purpose of having a digital repeater.

-AND- is VHF or UHF right out of the box

GREAT... And I neuter that capability as soon as I put a set of VHF or UHF a resloc's on it... With out adding a pair of diplexers...

and even can be setup in a crossband fashion.

Meh... Not so interested in setting up a crossband repeater.

Please name me any other repeater commercially built that is capable of this.

Take an MSR-2000, throw a VHF a exciter&PA with a UHF a receiver... Or swap with a UHF exciter&PA and a VHF a receiver... Only it does not do Yaesu ConFusion.

Also by doing a program such as this it releases the technology to the masses

But more importantly, is a cheap way for Yaesu to play catch up to digital modes like DMR a, DStar, NXDN, and P25.

and does not cause it to be segregated off like other digital technologies have had issues with and continue to do so.

What other digital technologies have been 'segmented off'?

I know of a couple clubs that have bought these repeater simply to replace aging analogue repeaters and have no desire to use them in digital mode at all.

You can't even buy a Scom controller for $500 bucks let alone build a decent repeater for $500.

Yaesu did it again! Showing that they fully do NOT listen to their customers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

n9upc

I am glad to see and hear your opinion on the subject but a lot of your comments are comparing apples to oranges.

So first a few cold hard facts:
1.) Yes, Yaesu is late to the digital game and the roll out has been a little slow. However, Yaesu has been listening to what amateurs have been telling them and reporting issues to them to correct based on functionality and feature set.

2.) Do they have RF linking up and running right now? No Do they have linking in place utilizing another method? Yes Wires X. Are there other methods of linking? Yes, but they are homebrew. (Also remember if you want to connect into the DMR-MARC you need a Motorola repeater and C-Bridge).

However, with repeaters that have these features and system design a large network of digital RF linking for a system is being planned like a hub and spoke design.

3.) The migration path Yaesu has made makes it so no single group has to make a decision to be strictly digital or analog. This is why they make the repeaters mixed mode which is also what DMR, NXDN/IDAs, and P25 do also. Yes, when using digital it prohibits analog...oh wait it does not. Fusion does allow for mixed (AMS) in and fixed out. For some, especially in my club and ARES/RACES group this help eliminates the segregation that going digital creates.

But what is the purpose to do digital then? Well the purpose can be to play with it, get people comfortable, and transition on the terms they want instead of "today at noon..."

4.) Finally, no one has hit the nail on the head for digital right out of the box in any format. If they did only one digital format would exist. It is nice to have another sigital format for the amateur radio world that is made by an amateur radio company. By local club and ARES/RACES had been against digital largely due to the fact that it was all commercial gear. It was there opinion and I respect that with them.

As for D-Star when buying Icom infrastructure it is only D-Star capable with no analog compunded with the fact that equipment pricing was higher with a pretty good learning curve. Thus, when Fusion came along it was a good fit for us.

I am glad that local clubs and organizations have had the chance to take advantage of the Yaesu promotion. Yes Yaesu does make you sign paperwork (do not sell for a year, blah blah blah). However, I challenge anyone to show me where it says that the repeater MUST run in digital or digital capable. It does not it just says that it must better amateur radio. Therefore, I encourage groups and clubs to gather funds for purchase of a repeater for that price. Then if you want to run Fusion great, but I know it is not everyones cup of tea.

(Typed on a smartphone with my thumbs or voice, please excuse any errors).

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I am glad to see and hear your opinion on the subject but a lot of your comments are comparing apples to oranges.

Not really... Yaesu has marketed a digital mod to amateur radio, that is different. While it is different, it is amateur radio.

I look at amateur radio from an auxcom view, in what we do to support our provincial served agency.

So first a few cold hard facts:
Ok

1.) Yes, Yaesu is late to the digital game and the roll out has been a little slow. However, Yaesu has been listening to what amateurs have been telling them and reporting issues to them to correct based on functionality and feature set.

Sure, I can't argue with that.

2.) Do they have RF linking up and running right now? No

That is a big issue. So really, if you can not bring INTERNET to a site you have a standalone digital repeater. Fine, but your footprint radius is going to be, realistically, less than 150Km on VHF and less on UHF.

Do they have linking in place utilizing another method? Yes Wires X.

See this is what I am getting at. Fusion repeaters can link digitally, BUT each site needs a separate Internet connection. That is where I lose interest in Fusion. With both DMR, DStar, NXDN I can create a private, NON Internet connected network and have a functional wide area all digital network. While linking via the Internet may be fine for some folks, it is NOT reliable method to link. Sure it works good when it's there, but when disaster strikes will it still be there? That's a crap shoot.

Are there other methods of linking? Yes, but they are homebrew. (Also remember if you want to connect into the DMR-MARC you need a Motorola repeater and C-Bridge).

Ahh see that's where things get interesting.

I can take, 16, I believe, TRBO repeaters, plunk them all onto a private IP network. A private network that does not have any outside Internet connection, and have a functional wide area network. Only if I want to be a part of DMR a-MARC do I need a C-Bridge, and only if I want more than 16 repeaters do I need a C-Bridge.

However, with repeaters that have these features and system design a large network of digital RF linking for a system is being planned like a hub and spoke design.

With the spokes being the public Internet?

3.) The migration path Yaesu has made makes it so no single group has to make a decision to be strictly digital or analog. This is why they make the repeaters mixed mode which is also what DMR, NXDN/IDAs, and P25 do also.

There are so many unused analogue repeater where I live, I see little point in adding a mixed mode repeater. That is just me. My local DMR a machine is digital only. There was no migration plan, we wanted a DMR a repeater and saw little point in making it mixed mode, mostly because the repeater is co located with 3 other analogue repeaters, all with the same footprint.

Yes, when using digital it prohibits analog...oh wait it does not. Fusion does allow for mixed (AMS) in and fixed out.

So for those with digital radios that want to talk to folks with analogue radios, it allows them to transmit to the repeater digital, but comes out analogue... K... Not seeing the benefit of that.

For some, especially in my club and ARES/RACES group this help eliminates the segregation that going digital creates.

I guess. Locally we found that most of the folks that were doing the Auxcom thing adopted DMR. We did not replace an analogue repeater with a DMR repeater, we added a new repeater.

But what is the purpose to do digital then? Well the purpose can be to play with it, get people comfortable, and transition on the terms they want instead of "today at noon..."

See we said "at noon we are turning on our DMR a repeater.. Nobody needed to panic, we did not take an analogue repeater off the air to put a DMR repeater on the air.

4.) Finally, no one has hit the nail on the head for digital right out of the box in any format. If they did only one digital format would exist. It is nice to have another sigital format for the amateur radio world that is made by an amateur radio company.

See that is were I think you are wrong. I think there is room for more than one digital format.

By local club and ARES/RACES had been against digital largely due to the fact that it was all commercial gear. It was there opinion and I respect that with them.

ahh we went DMR a to take advantage of a few things, and now are making use of 2 tone feature on LMR radios with a different analogue repeater to alert our Auxcom members.

As for D-Star when buying Icom infrastructure it is only D-Star capable with no analog compunded with the fact that equipment pricing was higher with a pretty good learning curve. Thus, when Fusion came along it was a good fit for us.

Glad it is the right fit for you.

Let me explain the reality of our provincial served agency of my auxcom group.

In our major flooding in 2012, we were talking to stations , in effected areas, that were 282, 301, 359, 434, and 438Km away from our Provincial EOC. Our net controller was 146km away. While one effected area we were able to use DStar, due to a repeater that provided coverage from outside the affected zone, we had another that started out on DStar, but lost their Internet connection part way through and we had to install a final mile analogue link. Majority of our communications were done using a provincial analogue repeater network.

We, locally, see the value in digital modes, but we also see the absolute requirement that any linked digital repeaters NOT need a public Internet connection to maintain that linked system with in our province.

I am glad that local clubs and organizations have had the chance to take advantage of the Yaesu promotion. Yes Yaesu does make you sign paperwork (do not sell for a year, blah blah blah). However, I challenge anyone to show me where it says that the repeater MUST run in digital or digital capable. It does not it just says that it must better amateur radio. Therefore, I encourage groups and clubs to gather funds for purchase of a repeater for that price. Then if you want to run Fusion great, but I know it is not everyones cup of tea.

I never said that Yaesu was making clubs run it in digital, all I said was that I know of clubs that have no intent to use them for Fusion, but to replace aging repeaters.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Ick ... I wouldn't want that thing if it was free.

n9zas

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Ick ... I wouldn't want that thing if it was free.

n9zas

Well that was a pointless waste of bandwidth.

I would gladly take a Fusion repeater for that price... Even if it was put up in analogue mode only, it is a hell of a deal for a standalone analogue repeater... With a warranty too boot... Try and find that on an ebay $500 repeater...

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
It is a great idea marketing wise.

However... Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood all missed the boat on agreeing on one standard digital format. Until that happens, they can give them away for free and folks would just run them in analog.

Hams are not going to spend $500 for a radio to talk on one type of repeater. If the club the next town over has a D Star system....your done.

If they would only agree on one standard open format, then digital would take off like mad. Until then...meh.

gewecke

Banned
Well that was a pointless waste of bandwidth.

I would gladly take a Fusion repeater for that price... Even if it was put up in analogue mode only, it is a hell of a deal for a standalone analogue repeater... With a warranty too boot... Try and find that on an ebay $500 repeater...

A simple old Micor with a Ics basic controller is trustworthy.
That thing? Not so much. Just my opinion,sorry. :wink:

n9zas

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
It is a great idea marketing wise.

However... Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood all missed the boat on agreeing on one standard digital format. Until that happens, they can give them away for free and folks would just run them in analog.

Hams are not going to spend $500 for a radio to talk on one type of repeater. If the club the next town over has a D Star system....your done.

If they would only agree on one standard open format, then digital would take off like mad. Until then...meh.

I think you maybe wrong about hams not wanting to spend money on one format or another. Personally I'm $600 bucks in on an IC-92ad and accessories, and almost $300 buck in on a CS-700 and accessories. I worked a public service event last weekend, and 5of us showed up with both DStar and DMR.

We worked the event on VHF a analogue, and the 5of us had our own 'net' on our local DMR talkgroup.mit worked great.

A simple old Micor with a Ics basic controller is trustworthy.
That thing? Not so much. Just my opinion,sorry. :wink:

n9zas

Yea, I a going to take a fusion repeater for $500 over a Micor. 4U vs. 6' of space? Not a hard decision for me.

gewecke

Banned
I think you maybe wrong about hams not wanting to spend money on one format or another. Personally I'm $600 bucks in on an IC-92ad and accessories, and almost $300 buck in on a CS-700 and accessories. I worked a public service event last weekend, and 5of us showed up with both DStar and DMR.

We worked the event on VHF a analogue, and the 5of us had our own 'net' on our local DMR talkgroup.mit worked great.

Yea, I a going to take a fusion repeater for $500 over a Micor. 4U vs. 6' of space? Not a hard decision for me.

6' of space? I was talking about a Micor mobile, not a cabinet. It's not hard at all to convert it to a repeater, complete with dtmf controller.
I just prefer older, beefier gear over this light duty stuff. :)

n9zas

grem467

8mbps bandwidth for a single channel narrowband voice repeater is insanity. I can run an entire 28ch mixed mode Motorola trunked system on a single 1.5mbps t1 circuit.

Please tell me it's a typo to need that much bandwidth.

The throughput over the air is probably between 9.6 and 12kbps at worst, what the other 7.90 Mbps for?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
With both DMR, DStar, NXDN I can create a private, NON Internet connected network and have a functional wide area all digital network.
You've mentioned this a couple of times, so I'll ask the question.

Is anybody actually doing this on DMR, D-Star, or NXDN?

N8OHU

You've mentioned this a couple of times, so I'll ask the question.

Is anybody actually doing this on DMR, D-Star, or NXDN?
I know of one DCS reflector in Europe that's accessible via the European HAMNET, so it's at least possible that some portions of the D-STAR network are on private networks. I can't speak for any other modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.