Echolink

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone used echolink or is currently using it? Opinions?

nd5y

I have been uning the PC software to run a simplex node off and on for over 10 years.
I haven't had any problems with the software running on Windows 7 or XP. I have also used it on Linux/WINE.
I have never used the smartphone app so I don't know much about that.

To me EchoLink is becoming less and less enjoyable because there are more an more people that install the phone app or PC software and don't bother to learn how to actually use it, set their audio levels properly, or configure a node properly.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Our organization is building out a simulcast network using Echolink as a backhaul. Currently we have two stations online with a third offline (remote location).

It's a great way to enjoy RADIO if you lack good repeater coverage in your region or want to expand your horizons. One can have the body worn portable coverage by putting up a good node at your location.

As far as varying audio levels, this is an issue, but one that can be remedied if your node radio has an AGC that will tame the varying audio levels of stations. I use an Icom IC-2200H with the ALC turned on and it made setting a good TX audio level easy.

I also recommend putting a good cooling system on your node radio. On the 2200H, I run it at 25 watts (which is more than enough for our system design) with a 3" fan on the heat sink. The radio stays cool to the touch even after extended keydowns.

rapidcharger

I agree with nd5y.
I have run an echolink node for years and in the good old days people would often connect by their computer but there would be a larger percentage of connections by RF using other nodes. Now people don't want to even invest in a radio or antenna to hit their local repeater so they use the mobile app.
I don't have a problem with that for occasional use such as if you are out of town or out of the coverage area or something like that but when the only connections are mobile apps, and the audio settings are not enjoyable to listen to, have ringtones and even entire phone calls accidentally getting through it, especially on the buggy android version, it's annoying. Why bother keeping the node on the air with RF? Everyone can just talk together on skype or zello or something. There have always been people who say "echolink's not ham radio" and it's become harder to argue against that now.

Aside from that, Echolink is a lot of fun to play around with and very useful for linking. If you have little or no local activity on the bands, it definitely gives you access to other people to talk to or listen to.

KE7JHC

Has anyone used echolink or is currently using it? Opinions?

I love it. I have had a simplex node up and running for the past two years. Have never had a problem with it. I spend most of the time connected to the western reflector (IRLP 9250) through the HI-GATE conference.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking of using it when the local 2m repeaters are quiet. I may use the direct computer link to explore it before I go farther.

KE7JHC

I'm thinking of using it when the local 2m repeaters are quiet. I may use the direct computer link to explore it before I go farther.

If you do, and I'm not in a conference, hit me up. Node info is in my signature. Or, throw out your call and see if you can raise any other hams in the Abilene area.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
If I understand what I read about it you should be able to speak with other hams without using a radio correct?

rapidcharger

If your local repeaters are quiet, why not set up an echolink node on the repeaters so that they aren't as quiet any more.

If I understand what I read about it you should be able to speak with other hams without using a radio correct?

You can but just keep in mind, that's not really ham radio.

Gosh, I can't believe I just said that.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
I would if I had the money to put up my own echolink node. All the repeaters around here are owned by the various ham clubs. I think there is only 1 or 2 echolink node repeaters in the state.I know its not really ham radio but its still an interesting program.

Last edited:

bharvey2

I've yet to set up an Echolink node with one of my radios but I use the computer client periodically. It is quite handy for talking to distant locations like other states or countries. Many times, I've just logged in and someone has contacted me. It's a novel and fun alternative.

bharvey2

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
I have been using echolink for years the best way to enjoy echolink is to set up a node or hotspot I have one here at my qth and have a lot of fun with it,yes I will have to say if you use echolink computer to computer no its not ham radio but if there's a ham radio connected up or down stream with in the system its ham radio I like to connect to Hi-Gate all ways some one on their to talk to ...........

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
I'm just waiting for my call sign-paperwork issue with the testers so its delayed. I'm going to try to interface my two transceivers with my computer. I did see a video were a guy used his cellphone to connect and he was talking to someone who was using his transceiver.I think its a good program when your on the road and cant bring the gear with you or the wife doesn't want you in the shack.

N4KVE

I'd much prefer to use IRLP. With Echolink, people can sit in front of their computer, & speak to others in front of a computer. Just use skype for that. Since our hobby is ham radio, where was the radio in that scenario? Of course radios can be used too, but with IRLP, both ends of the chat must be using a 2-way radio. With new DMR systems, the internet links the world, but people must still talk into a radio. So for me, if I want to talk to the world, it's HF, DMR, IRLP, or nothing.

KE7JHC

I'd much prefer to use IRLP. With Echolink, people can sit in front of their computer, & speak to others in front of a computer. Just use skype for that. Since our hobby is ham radio, where was the radio in that scenario? Of course radios can be used too, but with IRLP, both ends of the chat must be using a 2-way radio. With new DMR systems, the internet links the world, but people must still talk into a radio. So for me, if I want to talk to the world, it's HF, DMR, IRLP, or nothing.

With Echo-IRLP, isn't your point moot? You could be using RF on IRLP while still talking to someone on Echolink using only their computer or phone. I'm almost always connected to IRLP 9250 through Echolink. In my case however, it is all RF as I have a simplex node.

Why can't ham radio just be ham radio, regardless of the medium or method of delivery?

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
I want to build my own interface for tyt and baofeng. Anyone know a good site or if its cheap a pre built one?

nd5y

I haven't seen a Baofeng or TYT radio with COS output. Because of that they would not be good to use as node radios. You don't want to use VOX. Searching for "EchoLink PTT COS audio interface" will return several manufacturer sites and how to build one. There is info on EchoLink's web site too. http://www.echolink.org/interfaces.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.