Icom: Registering new Dstar Terminal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd0fx

Premium Subscriber
What's the best way to register a new terminal under my call sign? I'm already in the system but I'm making a hotspot and need a new terminal. (Right?)

kd0fx

Premium Subscriber
I can't. The owner won't give out permissions to log in.

N8OHU

I suspect some are doing this to keep users from registering "unnecessary" terminal entries.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Not sure I am understanding your situation.

You should be able to log in to the Dakota site where you first registered not to re-register, but to review your personal data that was created/assigned for the original registration. Next to the personal data tab is the terminal tab. Are you saying the terminal tab is not present?

N8OHU

Not sure I am understanding your situation.

You should be able to log in to the Dakota site where you first registered not to re-register, but to review your personal data that was created/assigned for the original registration. Next to the personal data tab is the terminal tab. Are you saying the terminal tab is not present?
There are a couple of possibilities here; an actual registration site might not exist or it may have been shut down because the gateway software was changed and the person that did it didn't keep the registration stuff active.

kd0fx

Premium Subscriber
I registered @ Nebraska D*star (Nebraska Gateway Registration » Nebraska D-Star Club) so I don't know about Dakota... but the owner there won't give out any log in details to let me change my own terminals. He'd supposedly do it for people but I haven't been able to get a response. Trying to figure out what my options are.

Last edited:

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
FQX,

My bad about the Dakota as I was multi-tasking and not doing anything well. I can see from the link that Nebraska has a page to collect the data different than what I expected.

The link below was the path I took. In the URL was the clubs abbreviation or repeater call sign. In any case I ended up processing thru the different pages as displayed. Not sure what your options are after your call sign is registered as creating a password is part of the original registration. After the registration is complete you go back to check your personal information and next to that tab is the terminal information tab. If you can't get to the personal information you don't know what your static IP is which I think you need for a dongle.

P.S. I just noticed at the top of the link is an email address you might get some help with your problem.

D-Star Self Registration Instructions

I registered @ Nebraska D*star (Nebraska Gateway Registration » Nebraska D-Star Club) so I don't know about Dakota... but the owner there won't give out any log in details to let me change my own terminals. He'd supposedly do it for people but I haven't been able to get a response. Trying to figure out what my options are.

DarkStarPDX

If they won't give you access to admin your terminals, email "Myron" (vicepresident@nedstar.org) and request that they delete your gateway account.

Once you're deleted then you can re-register somewhere a lot friendlier. If you can't find anywhere else local, go over to my gateway and register (https://n7qqu.dstargateway.org/Dstar.do).

It's stupid to lock down gateway access from registered users since that is how you administrate your terminals. I'm not interested in changing terminals for others, especially since that could take a day or more for me to get to...

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Chris,
At the risk of taking this thread a little off topic I ask the purpose of the terminal tab and what I would use it for? I have seen it before, but really never thought about it until this thread.

Thanks!

N8OHU

Chris,
At the risk of taking this thread a little off topic I ask the purpose of the terminal tab and what I would use it for? I have seen it before, but really never thought about it until this thread.

Thanks!

To be honest, it's mostly an Icom invention to take up space in the database; callsign routing (which is part of the specification, but not used much) doesn't need any terminals to work. The main purpose so far has been to allocate IP addresses to specific users for routing purposes, though it's not really needed, as stated above.

kd0fx

Premium Subscriber
To be honest, it's mostly an Icom invention to take up space in the database; callsign routing (which is part of the specification, but not used much) doesn't need any terminals to work. The main purpose so far has been to allocate IP addresses to specific users for routing purposes, though it's not really needed, as stated above.

Wait, so I could just program my hotspot with a new id (kdofqx-2) and it would work ok?

kd0fx

Premium Subscriber
If they won't give you access to admin your terminals, email "Myron" (vicepresident@nedstar.org) and request that they delete your gateway account.

Yeah, I've gone ahead and emailed asking for that to happen. I've been trying to get a new terminal for over a year now, and I guess I'm done waiting.

Is there some kind of oversight body that can just make things happen?

kd0fx

Premium Subscriber
Just to be fair, since I feel like I'm trashing a guy behind his back, I did get a response back. Apparently there is some techinical problems right now that is preventing him from making any changes.

kd0fx

Premium Subscriber
I'm deleated now. Feels good, frees me up to register somewhere else so I can get on with my D*Star life!

DarkStarPDX

No problem, terminals represent the various radios you use. You need to have one terminal (usually your callsign with a space in the Initial field) so when you set MYCALL to your callsign with the spaces after it the D-STAR system properly routes other calls to your "terminal" (a.k.a. radio).

Personally, I have my "space" terminal, as well as a "D" terminal (for data). This allows me to have my ID-1 connected to a repeater doing data work (with my callsign "KU7PDX D" set on it) and if others try callsign routing to "KU7PDX " it won't interrupt anything going on there.

A lot of D-STAR Gateways are concurrently running ircDDB Gatways (including the one I administrate) and that one doesn't require the terminals to be set, however then you lose the standard D-STAR routing if the terminals aren't set.

It is kinda confusing, but if you think about your radio just being another IP terminal (like a computer) it can help make more sense.

N8OHU

No problem, terminals represent the various radios you use. You need to have one terminal (usually your callsign with a space in the Initial field) so when you set MYCALL to your callsign with the spaces after it the D-STAR system properly routes other calls to your "terminal" (a.k.a. radio).

Personally, I have my "space" terminal, as well as a "D" terminal (for data). This allows me to have my ID-1 connected to a repeater doing data work (with my callsign "KU7PDX D" set on it) and if others try callsign routing to "KU7PDX " it won't interrupt anything going on there.

A lot of D-STAR Gateways are concurrently running ircDDB Gatways (including the one I administrate) and that one doesn't require the terminals to be set, however then you lose the standard D-STAR routing if the terminals aren't set.

It is kinda confusing, but if you think about your radio just being another IP terminal (like a computer) it can help make more sense.
No you don't; it's been proven on the Quadnet ircDDB network that callsign routing can be done without a terminal or any sort of registration being done by the user. They have even proven that the user callsign can be used, with a suffix letter in the 8th space, as a node callsign and callsign routing functions properly. Registration has never been needed to access either DExtra or DCS reflectors like it has been for DPlus, including using dongle based applications to access those reflectors.

DarkStarPDX

No you don't; it's been proven on the Quadnet ircDDB network that callsign routing can be done without a terminal or any sort of registration being done by the user. They have even proven that the user callsign can be used, with a suffix letter in the 8th space, as a node callsign and callsign routing functions properly. Registration has never been needed to access either DExtra or DCS reflectors like it has been for DPlus, including using dongle based applications to access those reflectors.
I did state that ircDDB is one of the systems that doesn't require registration...

N8OHU

I did state that ircDDB is one of the systems that doesn't require registration...
True, but the wording of your post implied that it (registration) was needed to do routing; I was just pointing out that it's not. All that is needed is the target callsign and the originating repeater and gateway callsign information; the database knows where the user was last heard and can route accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.