looking for first DMR Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwhitee

Does someone make a handheld DMR with both VHF and UHF bands and that comes with software to program it? Please recommend specific models if so.

mrwhitee

Well...That blows. I was looking at a used Motorola XPR 3300 but I'm confused about the software. Is it a one time buy or some expensive subscription thing?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Well...That blows. I was looking at a used Motorola XPR 3300 but I'm confused about the software. Is it a one time buy or some expensive subscription thing?

License is valid for three years of updates. After three years you can still use the software, but you will not receive any more updates.

mrwhitee

Oh...So after 3 years I can still do everything I need to do as far as changing the channel frequencies and radio ids or whatever but I need to buy two radios in order to have both UHF and VHF and then just one software package to program both? I guess that's not too bad other than having to buy two radios.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Oh...So after 3 years I can still do everything I need to do as far as changing the channel frequencies and radio ids or whatever but I need to buy two radios in order to have both UHF and VHF and then just one software package to program both? I guess that's not too bad other than having yo buy two radios.

Correct on all points.

SCPD

QRT
I have the Vertex Standard EVX-539. After buying the radio and programming cable, then signing up for the software is free from Vertex Standard Online. They have firmware and software updates quite regularly. It's way more radio than you'll ever need and it works quite well.

Total cost was approximately $550. The programming interface ($100) and cable ($28) was quite expensive but is a requirement for programming.

The plus is that you can monitor open DMR/TRBO systems in your area.

PS. I looked at the Motorola but it's crazy expensive and I can't recommend it due to the cost of software, accessories, etc. It's top of the line but I'm not sure if the investment is sound. If you're a die-hard DMR user then it's probably worth it. If you're trying DMR for the first time, then I would look for a cheaper alternative.

w1haf

Connect Systems is selling a Tytera MD 380 with the programming cable and software for $130.00 till Friday 10/23/15.

mrwhitee

Are both of these radios fully compatible with Motorolas radio ID system? I want to be able to talk with a friend who is on a Motorola XPR3300. He said it uses some kind of radio id where there is a million combinations to choose from.

SCPD

QRT
Connect Systems is selling a Tytera MD 380 with the programming cable and software for $130.00 till Friday 10/23/15.

These are hit or miss when it comes to quality. I've heard one or two of these and their audio leaves much to be desired.

That being said, the audio from the Motorola is excellent. I believe my Vertex audio is also very good but just one notch under the Motorola.

(It does come down to power output efficiency. I use my Vertex with my Diamond X510HDN antenna and that certainly helps.)

SCPD

QRT
Are both of these radios fully compatible with Motorolas radio ID system? I want to be able to talk with a friend who is on a Motorola XPR3300. He said it uses some kind of radio id where there is a million combinations to choose from.

I'm sure what you are referring to exactly but AFAIK these are virtually identical.

Motorola radios support (with optional configurations) the Connect Plus systems which is the their trunking standard -- which uses a control channel. The Vertex doesn't have that ability.

Here's a good explanation:

mototrbo_system-types.png

mrwhitee

Check out this video. The guy making the video says that you need an unique radio id regardless of the frequency or they wont be able to receive your transmission. That's how I understand it anyway. Does this mean that only Motorola will work with it?

https://youtu.be/aFljVjNvz-c

RayAir

I am happy with my CS 700's and MD-380's.
The voice sounds good on them and rx sensitivity is comparable to my XPR 6550's.

Those are fine too.

RayAir

Check out this video. The guy making the video says that you need an unique radio id regardless of the frequency or they wont be able to receive your transmission. That's how I understand it anyway. Does this mean that only Motorola will work with it?

Radio ID number shouldn't really matter for a talk around group call. If you want to add private call you'll need to set it up in the CPS and use the radio ID of his radio as a private call contact.

CS700 and MD-380 will work fine with MotoTRBO radios as long as no basic or Enhanced Privacy, RAS, DCDM, or trunking is used.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Hytera makes a nice radio and it'll work fine with motos minus the cap+/connect+ stuff. I hear good things about the connect systems radios as well, but I don't personally have one (yet).

SCPD

QRT
Radio ID number shouldn't really matter for a talk around group call. If you want to add private call you'll need to set it up in the CPS and use the radio ID of his radio as a private call contact.

CS700 and MD-380 will work fine with MotoTRBO radios as long as no basic or Enhanced Privacy, RAS, DCDM, or trunking is used.

+1

The Radio ID doesn't mean much except for direct calls. Repeaters can control access based upon the ID. A unique radio ID is required for DMARC, for example.

I'm pretty sure that all DMR radios have a Radio ID field.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber

If you are talking about the part at about the 2:50 mark, if you are using these for ham use, you want to get your ID from DMR-MARC.
DMR-MARC Network

I use a CS-700 on a network that uses Motorola repeaters.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Dual band DMR

If it is for ham use, check the number of VHF repeaters before you spend any money. Almost all DMR is UHF except near military radar on the coasts and a few scattered VHF stations inland.

Status
Not open for further replies.