Is The CS750 Still the Best Choice For DMR Monitoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
As posted above, is the CS750 still the best choice for monitoring a MOTO TRBO system if you don't know all the color codes and time slots? Also, has anybody heard about any new DMR amateur radios that might be announced at Dayton this spring?

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Yes the CS750 from my understanding would be the best bet. From my understanding the cs750 will display the info, like group call and color code. I believe you will need to have the channel on the correct time slot.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I've got a CS750 and it does work on commercial DMR. As 62Truck points out, it will display the radio ID, the talk group, the color code and the time slot being used on a frequency when put in 'Monitor' mode.

I haven't checked to see if it will pick up the correct time slot.. You may have to create two channels for each frequency you want to listen to.. One for slot one and the other for slot two.

Below is an example of what I see when in 'Monitor' mode on 411.2375 Mhz

43 - is the radio ID of the person transmitting
S1 - means slot 1
CC1 - is color code 1
1000 - is the talk group being used.

Attachments

• 750.jpg
    750.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,113

JASII

Memory Capacity
Is The CS750 Still The Best Choice For DMR Monitoring?

How does the Connect Systems CS750 deal with Capacity Plus and Connect Plus systems?

What's the scan rate of programmed channels on this radio? A faster speed would be beneficial in being able to follow a Cap plus system.

Do we know of any new DMR radios being announced in OH?

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
You could put in the freqs of a cap system and a con plus system and scan the system channels. The radio will unmute for any talk groups you have in your Rx group list.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I'm pretty familiar with building code plugs for different repeaters but I'm confused on how put the actual information in the plug.

For example... Let's say I want to monitor 456.789, 456.790 etc etc on a Mtrbo system. What information would I need to enter assuming I do not know the color code, talk group and most likely don't have the time slot?

If you can a plug with what I'm supposed to enter for this type of monitoring, feel free to post or send it to me. That may be easier.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Using the CS750 programing software, you create a digital channel, (receive only). You set the frequency, color code, and the slot, but you don't associate a talk group to it.

Then you put the digital channel in your chosen Zone. You listen with 'Montitor' on. Once you've identified the groups on the channel, you can go back and program them properly. I have one zone with 10 channels dedicated to receiving commercial DMR.

But, even if you have talk groups associated to the channel, you can override them using the 'Monitor' function.

Our local ham DMR repeater is on the DMR-MARC system. We have seven talk groups defined on slot two. If I'm on any slot two group and I turn on 'Monitor', I will hear all activity on slot two regardless of the talk group. No special programing is required to use the 'Monitor' function.

Using the CS750 programing software, you create a digital channel, (receive only). You set the frequency, color code, and the slot, but you don't associate a talk group to it.

Then you put the digital channel in your chosen Zone. You listen with 'Montitor' on. Once you've identified the groups on the channel, you can go back and program them properly. I have one zone with 10 channels dedicated to receiving commercial DMR.

But, even if you have talk groups associated to the channel, you can override them using the 'Monitor' function.

Our local ham DMR repeater is on the DMR-MARC system. We have seven talk groups defined on slot two. If I'm on any slot two group and I turn on 'Monitor', I will hear all activity on slot two regardless of the talk group. No special programing is required to use the 'Monitor' function.
Thank you for the explanation. I think I may have to invest in this radio for that feature alone. I'm not sure what other radios provide this monitor type mode at a decent price point.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
So would the CS-800 mobile have this same "monitor" feature? I would think it would have to.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Well crap. Now I have to go buy another radio. That monitor feature could come in real handy around here. This will be a "GOOD" feature when it comes to Mototrbo.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
How does the MD380 with the hacked firmware perform compared to the CS750 monitor mode? Does anyone have some insight on it?

Many Thanks

JASII

Memory Capacity
I suspect that some new equipment has come out since I first posted this. With that in mind, is the CS750 still one of the best choices for DMR monitoring or are there some other radio that are as good as, or better, at searching for Time Slots, Color Codes, Talk Groups, and Radio IDs?

msingewald

Premium Subscriber
I suspect that some new equipment has come out since I first posted this. With that in mind, is the CS750 still one of the best choices for DMR monitoring or are there some other radio that are as good as, or better, at searching for Time Slots, Color Codes, Talk Groups, and Radio IDs?

I believe it is. The only improvement I can think of would be if you could program a channel to have the monitor mode on. This way you could scan two channels that each have a different time slot and thus hear anything on the frequency.

D

DaveNF2G

All this time and you still haven't decided which radio to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.