Yaesu System Fusion repeater problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
This repeater was taken out of service yesterday to go on the bench to find out why it's so deaf. After that is sorted out, we're looking at putting it back up as a UHF repeater on 443.750, AMS with 88.5 PL on the analog side.

Anybody with any insight on these repeaters going deaf, drop me a PM, please.
Its a hammy mobile... nuff said... put lots of filtering infront of the receiver.

fyrfyter33

This repeater was taken out of service yesterday to go on the bench to find out why it's so deaf. After that is sorted out, we're looking at putting it back up as a UHF repeater on 443.750, AMS with 88.5 PL on the analog side.

If it's a original one, before they made the revisions, the finals are probably shot. That's why you don't use a mobile radio in a box as a repeater. Not designed for the constant tx/RX changes.

Supposedly, the newer ones are fixed with better finals and replacement of a few other parts.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
If it's a original one, before they made the revisions, the finals are probably shot. That's why you don't use a mobile radio in a box as a repeater. Not designed for the constant tx/RX changes.

Supposedly, the newer ones are fixed with better finals and replacement of a few other parts.

The repeater is deaf... How does a blown final cause the repeater to be deaf???

fyrfyter33

The repeater is deaf... How does a blown final cause the repeater to be deaf???

There were other problem parts than just the finals. Wouldn't surprise me if there are receive side issues too.

Did anyone consider lightning strike as well? It is springtime across the US.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber

Has it always been "deaf" or did that just suddenly appear? Does that repeater have a duplexer, or does it use separate antennas?

N5TWB

Has it always been "deaf" or did that just suddenly appear? Does that repeater have a duplexer, or does it use separate antennas?

It's now back on the air as a UHF repeater. Everything checked out when it went on the bench so that didn't provide any answers. The VHF antenna is due to be replaced as soon as the climber gets his insurance cleared but it had been performing satisfactorily when the analog repeater was on that same antenna before the Yaesu arrived. Radio continues to hold mysteries so we'll see how this one performs on UHF.

N5TWB

Migh try reading this. Someone else is having similar issues with a fusion repeater being deaf in the middle of someone transmitting. Similar to your problem?

Southwest Iowa Amateur Radio Club » Ham Radio in Iowa and Nebraska

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. That link has some good info that I'll pass along to our technical group. It's back on the air as a UHF repeater so we'll see how it does in that role while checking out this new information.

N8OHU

There were other problem parts than just the finals. Wouldn't surprise me if there are receive side issues too.

Did anyone consider lightning strike as well? It is springtime across the US.

The problem with the finals was inadequate contact with the heatsink surface, and from what I understand the "deaf" repeaters are not as common as you think.

fyrfyter33

The problem with the finals was inadequate contact with the heatsink surface, and from what I understand the "deaf" repeaters are not as common as you think.

As I understand it, there was a first gen hardware that had the finals problem and deaf issues and a second gen hardware that resolved this.

I also understand that there was no model revision number, so without digging inside it's impossible to determine which repeater you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.