Echolink Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainguy1997

So I am not a licensed ham yet but with the help of you guys and my friend KC9CAU nearby I hope that I can get my license on June 11th. So for now I am looking at radios and programs to use with ham stuff.

KC9CAU told me about Echolink. I was told I need to hook up a radio to a computer and that I require some cables. My question is how and where do I hook it up and where does it attach to on the radio. I am looking at a Yaesu FT2900R and plan on hooking it up to my gaming computer which is a Alienware X51 R2, which is running Windows 10 (which I only use for one or two games that I hardly play....I do not play video games like other people my age). I also want to hook it up to my Panasonic CF30 Toughbook, which is running Windows XP, when I am on the go once I can get a hotspot device.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
So I am not a licensed ham yet but with the help of you guys and my friend KC9CAU nearby I hope that I can get my license on June 11th. So for now I am looking at radios and programs to use with ham stuff.

KC9CAU told me about Echolink. I was told I need to hook up a radio to a computer and that I require some cables. My question is how and where do I hook it up and where does it attach to on the radio. I am looking at a Yaesu FT2900R and plan on hooking it up to my gaming computer which is a Alienware X51 R2, which is running Windows 10 (which I only use for one or two games that I hardly play....I do not play video games like other people my age). I also want to hook it up to my Panasonic CF30 Toughbook, which is running Windows XP, when I am on the go once I can get a hotspot device.

Why not get all of the correct and accurate info directly from the source:

Introducing EchoLink

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You don't necessarily need a computer to access Echolink. If there is an Echolink repeater in your area, you can use your radio to talk to the repeater and access the Echolink network from there. As stated above, the Echolink web site contains the necessary information.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
There are a number of manufacturers of EchoLink adapters which are needed between the radio and the PC. They're all easily found with a google (or whatever) search. They all have detailed info on their websites including installation instructions. With a little searching, you'll find all kinds of info on the internet about creating EchoLink nodes with various radios. It's all there ready for the reading.

But you may not need to build a node. As pointed out above, you can access EchoLink directly from a PC or smartphone. As long as you have WiFi or cell signal, you've got the world at your disposal, no radio needed.

I am building a simplex node. There's no local amateur repeater reachable from my town, but there is a club repeater about 15 miles south of here. By putting up a simplex node at my home, I can reach the club repeater and maintain contact with everyone in the club from my truck or on a handheld. Other hams are going to be welcome to use the node as well. Coverage looks to be at least a few miles in all directions, but I'm in the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains so I expect some dead spots until I can get the antenna up higher.

bharvey2

As was mentioned above, the best way to learn more about Echolink is to go to their website and read. Here is a brief description:

Echolink has two modes. The first is sysop mode which allows you to use a radio as a repeater. Communications that are received by the radio are passed on via an internet connection to other nodes connected to you. And, communications from nodes connected to you are transmitted by your radio.

The other mode is simplex mode. this allows you to use you computer (with the appropriate speakers/headphones/mic) to communicate directly with other nodes. whether they are in simplex or in sysop.

If Echolink really "floats your boat" you might consider a Kenwood TM-V71A. It has some built in provisions for Echolink.

Status
Not open for further replies.